jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Nursing Homes

1. tonyfischer profile image83
    tonyfischerposted 4 years ago

I work in the senior healthcare industry.  I was wondering what types of experiences people have had with nursing homes and how it effects your perceptions?

1. 60
      KailynLawposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My last time in a nursing home was a few years ago before my grandmother died.  It smelled like mold and chemicals.  I wasn't very happy about leaving my grandmother there but we couldn't afford anything better.

2. Shanna11 profile image90
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

I visit a sweetheart of a woman in a very nice nursing home. I've been nothing but impressed with it. There's lots of activities, residents are allowed a small dog or cat and have their own private (small but still comfortable) room. It seems to be a very nice, low-key place, but it's also extremely hard to get into, from what my 'adopted grandparent' says.

3. Joy56 profile image60
    Joy56posted 4 years ago

I have worked in Nursing Homes all my life.....Was trained in England.... I have worked in good ones and very bad ones......   I dont like 12 hour shifts, and i think carers should earn more, and be treated better, and have more breaks.....

4. BobbiRant profile image80
    BobbiRantposted 4 years ago

It has made me angry when they simply take the elderly's money and offer not much in return.  I even wrote a book about how they can be changed, if enough people stand up.  Simply throwing money and rules at any industry does not work and we Are talking a billion dollar industry that mostly warehouses elderly people for the almighty dollar.  seen it first hand, daily for years.

1. Joy56 profile image60
      Joy56posted 4 years ago in reply to this

things are certainly not always as they should be, i would advice any families to look round before they put their relative in the nearest home..... They do vary a lot.......

5. BlossomSB profile image90
    BlossomSBposted 4 years ago

I did a course as a Visitor to hospitals and Nursing Homes and have seen quite a few. They do seem to vary considerably: one on the Queensland Gold Coast was just like a five star hotel; it was really beautiful and the staff were so friendly and helpful to the clients. Others are not so good and the staff are run off their feet so cannot spare time to listen to people who've had strokes and cannot express themselves quickly or clearly any more. I guess it is partly what you can afford, but it also seems to be influenced by the Management, too. If there's a caring Matron or whatever, the staff follow suit and it is a very happy place. One Matron went early each morning, before she was rostered on, and took the early morning cuppas to the clients, so she could greet each person. Lovely!

6. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Nursing homes are bit depressing. There are many patients who do not get visitors and family turns their back on them. Now younger disabled patients are going to them because there's no other facilities for them.

7. golddust321 profile image61
    golddust321posted 4 years ago

Nursing facilities do vary from very good to very bad, then there are the
    very elite which has volunteers, financial gifts. Most of these are private pay and medicare patients. State inspections are a big joke and does very little to improve the standard of care. States make money from fines when the major problem is nurse to patient ratio. The pay for nursing assistants is rediculous, they asignments are virtually impossible to complete. Patients who stayed in hospitals before 1980 (DRG) are now transfered to nursing and rehab facilities (nursing homes) There are rules to control smells because of patient allergies. However, no facility should have that urine/feces smell when entered. Money talks and Healthcare professionals walk.