health care in America

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

Based on your own family's experience, what do you think we should do to improve health care in America?

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The health care is fine, it's paying for it that needs improvement.  I'm not wise enough to know how to fix that.  But I have seen many examples of why the costs are so high.  Just one example, my ex-husband is a recovering alcholic.  He had just come out of detox and was complaining about some strange upper abdominal and chest pains.  We went to his doctor's office and the doctor ordered him to be admitted to the hospital for some tests.  The hospital was right across the street.  We could easily have walked it in less than a minute, but the protocal is that he has to go from the doctor's office to the hospital in an ambulance. The reason behind the ambulance trip across the street all had to do with the doctor's liability and his medical mal-practice insurance.  While in the ambulance, the EMTs hooked him up to monitors, took all sorts of readings, and gave him nitro for the chest pain.  The trip across the street to the hospital took over an hour because of the wait for the ambulance and all the treatment received while in the ambulance.   After an overnight stay and many tests, the pains turned out to be nothing more than a very upset stomach. The cost of this little adventure was several thousand dollars.

1. profile image54
        Robertr04posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whoever said they were ther to cure you at minimum expense? Someone has to pay for all the people and fancy machcines.

2. Eliminate Cancer profile image61
      Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From my personal experience, there is a lot we can do as a nation to improve healthcare and reduce costs.

In an age where most businesses can provide individualized service, and with the access to information, patients should have better access to information to help them make informed decisions on how they treat illness.

It seems as though medical professionals want to keep us in the dark, they discourage patients from doing research etc.

So, to me, the issues are:

- get the best, targeted care for your health issue
      - have access to information regarding options
      - have access to information about the side effects of drugs, tests, scans, treatments
      - reduce costs by not over-treating patients - encouraging healthy alternatives rather than designer drugs
      - reduce costs and compound health issues by ordering fewer tests - only the ones necessary
      - allow the patient the right to choose natural alternatives which are significantly cheaper, and provide long term sustained health - thereby reducing costs of future illness.

It's not impossible.  Simply passing a healthcare bill to make sure everyone gets 'standard' treatment is NOT going to solve the health issues in our country.

The information to improve the system is out there.  Healthcare could be more individualized, less toxic, less expensive...

It would take a centralized computer database and network, and some changes in how care is managed - but it's not a huge leap.

1. teamrn profile image59
        teamrnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'lll address your points one by one:

Patient's can and should have better access to info; Unfortunately, many patients still think the doctor's word is the be all and end all. They still put the doc up on a pedestal and for health care to work, the patient and physician ought to be partners; with mutual respect.

As a medical professional, I don't think the desire is to keep patients in the dark, although I have run into situations where time is at a premium and my patient teaching suffers. Physicians explain, but IMHO (and possibly self-serving opinion), nurses do a better job. but, either way, we need to make a more concerted effort to teach patients the WHY behind their conditions or treatment(s).

I think the reason patients are discouraged from doing research is that a good portion of the stuff out there on the internet is just that-STUFF. It doesn't hold up to scientific, peer-reviewed scrutiny. That's not to say that all that's out there is bad, because it's not. often, too, patients go to the doc office with a 15 page article that they want him to read. The days of docs having the time in the world to read 15 page articles (and let's say they have 6 people bring them articles) are gone. Even Marcus Welby had limits!

"have access to information about the side effects of drugs, tests, scans, treatments"- The problem here is like the ads we see on television for meds; if by the end of the ad, most people don't want to take the med, for fear of losing their life, I wouldn't be surprised. But, legally, drug manufacturers have to disclose all that information, though some of those side effects may be  rare.

As far as options, it is the role of the nurse and physician to advocate for patients. That said, the time has come for patients to speak up if they feel their rights are being stepped upon and they're being steamrolled. A polite, "I'm not ready to make a decision about treatment, now" will prompt the question, "Why (aren't you ready to make a decision?" and a discussion will ensue. Like it or not, because healthcare providers are spread so thin, patient's need to take a more pro-active position regarding their health care. This doesn't mean they need to be experts; just make an investment in their health and ask questions or say they nee 'HELP!'

I'm not dumping on patients; everyone on the healthcare team need to become invested in the care of the patient and al involved need understanding that the team does it's best to advocate for the patient.

2. teamrn profile image59
    teamrnposted 12 years ago

he United States offers the finest healthcare in the world. That said, when it comes to cost of that healthcare, we are caught in a hammerlock; we MUST streamline delivery of that healthcare which takes up a growing portion of our GDP, an unsustainable portion. The World. Health Organization ranks the US as highest per capita in expenditure of it's healthcare costs, but 37th in DELIVERY of that healthcare.

I think all people of this country agree that our system is broken and it needs to be overhauled; but there's disagreement about how to solve it. Personally, I think we need to put more effort into preventative care; but I know that will not solve the whole problem.

3. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Clearly we need to make health insurance more affordable by forcing insurance companies to cover more stuff. Because we learned economics on opposite day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)