jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Silence is golden ? Or maybe not!!

1. Eiddwen profile image68
    Eiddwenposted 5 years ago

Hi, I wonder how many people find that they cannot write in total silence?
    I have to have musicor something even if it is only background noise.
    I always wrote with six chidren running round me and I was just wondering if it's simply a habit that I have got into over the years.

1. Stories Inc. profile image60
      Stories Inc.posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can write in total silence. I can and often do write with music on, but it influence the tone of what I'm writing (which is sometimes good, sometimes bad, you can use it to your advantage). But when the music stops and I'm completely into it, I usually don't notice or if I do, can't bring myself to do something about it. Absolute silence is fine...
      I guess everyone has different rituals and methods.

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

I think it is a habit you have simply gotten into over the years.

3. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 5 years ago

don't know about total silence, haven't been able to try.  I certainly ask for it, though!  I need quiet in order to tune into what I'm feeling, and what needs to be said.  I can't concentrate if there's too much noise, or if the background noise is too loud.

4. kookoo88 profile image66
    kookoo88posted 5 years ago

I can write in silence though it doesn't happen very often.  I have 3 kids and my computer at home is near the TV.  I actually write faster when things are silent (this happens rarely, lol)

My preferred method is to Listen to music.  It varies as to what I listen to, but my favorite is Emilie Autumn which is very discordant music.  For some reason it helps me focus better.

. . . but then again, I'm a bit odd. wink

5. b. Malin profile image58
    b. Malinposted 5 years ago

When I sit down with my "Mac" I do like it silent...But ideas that come to me for a Hub, can come when I'm shopping, or walking on the beach, which dance in my head until I get back to a pad and pen...I can do an outline just about anywhere...It probably gets changed by the time I sit down to type it...and the silence kicks in and allows me to go into my writer's trance.