jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you do to fight writer's block?

1. skinsman82000 profile image86
    skinsman82000posted 6 years ago

What do you do to fight writer's block?

2. Michael Ray King profile image75
    Michael Ray Kingposted 6 years ago

The simplest way to fight writer's block is to write stream of consciousness. If you do this right, you will NEVER suffer from writer's block. You simply must be patient with yourself while you creative juices heat up. When you write stream of consciousness, simply write what you are thinking, even if you are thinking "I don't know what to write." You simply keep writing without stopping until you kick in. For most writers this can be 5 - 15 minutes. Small price to pay to get your mojo back!

3. joanwz profile image75
    joanwzposted 6 years ago

Sometimes I take a small break from writing and take an artist's date or work on some other creative project. Sometimes I go through my writer's files (filled full of newspaper and magazine clippings) or go back through stuff I've already written and published. Sometimes I read a book or watch a movie to see what these stories stir up. Other times I look through my personal library, the public library or online to see what other topics are popular or what topics strike me. Somettimes just setting aside one writing project and starting another one is enough to stir the muse.

4. PiaC profile image59
    PiaCposted 6 years ago

I read - lots and lots of novels that are unrelated to my writing. Somehow, the cadences of other peoples words, always inspire my own.

5. Hezmyjoy profile image60
    Hezmyjoyposted 6 years ago

I have thought about this from time to time when other people have spoke on it or I have read this before...I have never had it. When I have something to write about, I write. If I don't, I won't. I just don't fight it.

working