jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What music, if any, do you listen to while writing?

1. Phenomenalapse profile image79
    Phenomenalapseposted 4 years ago

What music, if any, do you listen to while writing?

What kinds of music do you find most enjoyable while working or easiest to develop a good work flow to while writing? If you prefer not to listen to music while writing or working in silence, why?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 4 years ago

None, because I only play music that I wish to listen to, not as a background noise to intrude upon the silence.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

No music for writing. While I would like to have music playing while I write, the TV is usually blaring in the background. My DH is retired and so...

4. Lor's Stories profile image61
    Lor's Storiesposted 4 years ago

I used to listen to classical but now anything on my list.

5. Alecia Murphy profile image80
    Alecia Murphyposted 4 years ago

I wrote papers to music in college. Most of my friends were science majors and were so quiet I had to have something to keep me going. I like most kinds of music in general so whatever I was in the mood for I would listen to but more often than not I ventured towards 80s and 90s pop- upbeat but not too distracting for me.
    I know some people need silence but silence is worse to me at times.

6. kevinwrites profile image59
    kevinwritesposted 4 years ago

The music I listen to depends on what I'm writing. When writing fiction, I listen to music that puts me in a particular mood, whether happy and inspired or sad and lonely. I want to feel the same way as the characters in the scene. Usually classical and R&B work well for this.

If I need to write very fast in a short time, I listen to something more intense like hip-hop, pop, and occasionally rock. I don't pay attention to the lyrics, I just let the music accompany my writing.

When concentration is required, I need complete silence.

7. profile image50
    cylinciderposted 4 years ago

Instrumental or classical will do, anything with words may end up you writing them down. Music that makes the environment peaceful and conducive for writing. Heavy metals and songs are not so encouraged.

Closed to reply