MarleneB profile image 96

What is this plant growing among my strawberries?

In the process of pulling weeds from my strawberry garden, I discovered strange plants intermingled among the strawberry plants. When I pulled on the strangers, they came up easily, roots and all. I noticed that the leaves looked similar to the strawberry leaves, but not quite the same. When I pinched the leaves, they smelled similar to mint, but not quite (they had a chocolaty-mint scent). Help! Are they toxic, safe? What are they?

snakeslane profile image81

snakeslane says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

If the leaf didn't smell like chocolate, I would have guessed mint, but that chocolate scent confused me. And, now that I look around, I see it all over the strawberry garden.

bac2basics profile image89

Anne (bac2basics) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

Thank you bac2basics. I'll take a piece of the plant with me on my next trip to the nursery. And, yes, that plant is growing quickly and I'm seeing it everywhere now.

cat on a soapbox profile image83

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

cat on a soapbox, thank you for your answer. I just went out again today and new plants have sprouted up. I don't know where they came from and I can't seem to get rid of them.

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

It does look like a strawberry leaf with a little bit of a twist. It's kind of like a cross between strawberries and mint. It's all over the place where the strawberries are growing.

Faith Reaper profile image86

Faith Reaper says

• MarleneB profile image

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) 2 years ago

Well, Faith, you have given me a lot to think about. While I knew about the chocolate mint because I had seen it at Home Depot and Lowes, I didn't know about the strawberry mint and other plants that you mentioned. Thanks so much for your answer.