jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

When is a bargain not a bargain?

1. 0
    Amie Warrenposted 6 years ago

I recently got some chicken legs in family packs BOGO. I love chicken legs, especially fried, but I usually end up boiling them. Anyway, I had these two packs, so I decided to boil and debone them to get broth and save them for later use. WHAT A RIPOFF! I got less than a quart of meat, and a quart of broth. I don't have scales, but I'm thinking that with the electricity, water and time I used cooking them, that's around $3 a lb. for leg meat. UNBELIEVABLE! 

I still love chicken legs, but I think I'm going to stick to whole chickens from now on. At least I can rationalize that because of the breast meat.

I wish now that I had bought the boneless, skinless breasts for $2.99 a lb.

2. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

What really makes me crazy is spending money to buy something to throw away. Whenever you buy meat with bone in you are paying most for the part you are throwing away. I have not bought bone in meat for years.

1. 0
      Amie Warrenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe you are right. And paying for more fat! Like with steaks...the ones with "marbling" (translated "lots of fat") are $3 more a pound than the lean ones.  I just buy the cheap steak and pound it to death and soak it in pineapple juice. It then tastes great and is tender....and I saved $3 a pound.

3. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 6 years ago

Loads of special offers aren't as good as they appear. A common one is 20% off something that was originally twice the price you would pay anywhere else - so it is still more expensive even with the special offer.

1. 0

This is why I don't shop at Walgreen's. They have that kind of bargain. I hate it that they have a 2 for $xx.xx, and if you only want one, you have to pay more.

4. ddsurfsca profile image77
    ddsurfscaposted 6 years ago

I think one that you cannot really go bad with is a buy one and get one free offer.

1. 0

I got the chicken legs buy one get one free, and it was not a bargain at all. A lot of times, they mark the BOGO's up, so if you pay attention, it really isn't a bargain. Plus, most of the BOGO stuff is packaged crap. Why are veggies never BOGO...or Milk?

5. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

When is a bargain not a bargain? The minute you part with your cash. Half the time you wouldn't have bought 'buy x at 50% less' anyway. If not more so.

I've lost count of the amount of times a loaf of bread has cost me £50 simply because I couldn't resist one bargain or another. Fine example - few days ago. Went for some dog food. It cost me £56.70 lol

1. 0

I do that all the time! Go to the market for one item and end up with $50 worth of stuff. I don't even go to Dollar Tree anymore, because I cannot walk out of there for less than $20.

6. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

When is bargain not a bargain?

A. When you can find it cheaper somewhere else. lol

1. 0

Yeah, but the time and energy you use trying to find it somewhere else may actually make it a bargain.

7. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 6 years ago

A bargain is only a bargain if you need it in the first place..if you buy it just because its a bargain and its not needed then its not really a bargain but a complete waste of money !!

1. 0

No joke! I have a freezer full of meat now, and cupboards full of food and get angry because I find a great bargain, but have no room in the kitchen for it. We are all so afraid of hurricanes here, we hoard everything now.

8. cornwall_UK profile image86
    cornwall_UKposted 6 years ago

My sister always claims that buying things at the small corner shop saves her money because she comes out with what she went in for.  Even though it cost a little extra, she didn't then buy 10 more things she didn't need.