Saudi Arabia on verge of acquiring nuclear weapon?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (48 posts)
  1. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

Saudi Arabia ruled by the Saudi house, no need to say that it is a dictatorship, is aiming at acquiring the nuclear weapon. It is one if not the most extremist and fundamentalist muslim country in the world. Iran's president was democratically elected. It is not as radical as Saudi Arabia but for whatever reason it is the enemy of the United-States (first oil proven oil reserves in the world is an incentive). It has as many probablities to be an American threat for the future, what will we do to block their decision?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My immediate thoughts are that I'd be more concerned about Saudi having a nuclear weapon than Iran. On reflection however, you haven't provided a link. I may of missed this piece of news (probably). I'm suspicious, given the current circumstances in the Mid East, the unbelievable posturing and the ever changing dynamics.

2. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They allowed us to have bases there and that is the only reason for putting up with them. The other side of that equation is that we have protected them.

The oppressive oligarchies are toppling. If Assad goes, Syria is going to be a mess. Nothing better is waiting in the wings in that country. After Syria which unstable and despotic government will be next?

3. twosheds1 profile image61
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They may get a nuke, but why would they threaten their biggest customer? I may not have worked a lot of retail in my life, but one thing I do know is that pointing a weapon at your customers is bad for business.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Saudi Arabia is no democratic paradise of civilization, but it's not nearly as bad as Afghanistan much of which is controlled by the Taliban which doesn't deserve being considered a civilization.

Give Saudi Arabia a little credit. Women can now drive cars.

maxoxam41posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't recall that Afghanistan was that bad before the Russian invasion and the American intervention! Iwant to experience an American invasion of Saudi Arabia and let see if it will turn out like Afghanistan or Irak (21 killed today in a car bombing in Bagdad). Iraq was more of a democracy than Saudi Arabia is! I can't give credit to one of the most authoritarian regime in the world!

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Saudi Arabia is a US oil well, where most financial transactions are done in dollars. Iran is not. Haven't heard anything about any nukes. I thought Israel was the only country allowed to have nukes in the middle whatever, besides Pakistan.

3. maxoxam41 profile image63

Check the Washington post! Until when do you think Saudi Arabia will remain American? The oil peak has been reached two years ago!

4. knolyourself profile image61

Don't read the Jerusalem Times or Post. There is no peak oil in the immediate future except as a scam to raise oil prices. Saudi Arabia is American as long as the empire lasts.

Why would I read the jerusalem post? As all natural resources, it depletes. And you are right, as long as the U.S. is a dominant player it will play its game!

5. maxoxam41 profile image63

Why would I say something and lie? The Washington Post.

6. RednecksForObama profile image60
    RednecksForObamaposted 11 years ago

You are silly. the Saudis already control nuclear weapons. Get a clue.

1. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I didn't want to have to be the one to say it.

2. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On what do you base that? Nothing's impossible but "you are silly" hardly constitutes evidence.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/59306000/gif/_59306324_nuclear_weapons_464.gif

7. maxoxam41 profile image63

So far the news come from the Washinston post! One of you knows nothing! I will have to choose, you!

1. RednecksForObama profile image60
      RednecksForObamaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like I said . . . you are showing your hand. You are not an American. It should read, "So far the news is coming from the Washington Post,"

Or, perhaps, " So far, the news has come from the Washington Post."

Try another game. You are no good at this one.

8. maxoxam41 profile image63

That's the only answer you can give after defrauding you!

9. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

If Saudi Arabia had nuclear weapons they would hire Americans to maintain them and use them for them the same as they do with everything else in their military.

Saudi Arabia is about as pro west as you can get; there is a McDonalds and KFC on every corner along with every other American food chain you can think of. I can't say I ever met an anti American or anti western Saudi; they just want to get on with their lives the same as most other people!

There are Nuts the same as there are Nuts in America and every other country! But as a people and a government I would put their threat level on a par with the Smurfs!

1. Paraglider profile image87

They quite like the Dutch as well, especially that nice Steineke guy who told them where to dig!

2. maxoxam41 profile image63

You think that the Saudis will allow ad vitam eternam the presence of the U.S. on their soil (military bases), in their economy... I'm wondering what will happen if suddenly Saudi Arabia decided to secede from the Americans and not fear Iran (as probably the Americans nourish it)? Will the Americans, as former friends, accept it or will they suddenly overthrow the Saudi House as Syria is experiencing?

10. maxoxam41 profile image63

As I said it, with the peak oil in a survival mode, every country will save its natural resource to prevent hardship to come and privilege national demand over international. Countries like the U.S. and China depending on it, won't stay watching their economy collapse without actions. And action will be military. What would prevent such actions? The possession of nuclear power. It is in Saudi Arabia's interest to lay low for the moment and have the Americans as friends. After their possession of the nuclear weapon, let's see if their allegiaance to the U.S. will persist given what is happening to Iran and what happened to Iraq, Lybia...!

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

"every country will save its natural resource to prevent hardship to come and privilege national demand over international. "

Not the US. Here it's "drill baby drill." I've often wondered why we don't use up the cheap oil from Saudi Arabia and other countries first, and save our oil and natural gas for the future. I've yet to get a persuasive answer other than "national security considerations to avoid dependence on oil from an unstable part of the world."

1. profile image0
        HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Drill, baby, drill is a safer path for the US. When we can depend solely on our own oil - the Middle East no longer has a hold on us. Right now, it's all a game. If we "save" our fossil fuel reserves (and we have enough to last us at least 200 years) then by the time we get around to using them - hopefully, we'll have other viable alternatives. New technology is getting better every day and one day - the use of fossil fuels will be a sleepy dream.

But today - we need oil and we have plenty here - so let's take it from here and tell the arabs to jump in a lake.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

I'm not aware that we have enough oil to last for 200 years. Dirty coal perhaps but not oil.

2. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Saudi Arabia is investing huge amounts of its wealth in building economic cities to house workers and provide facilities from many manufacturing and other companies, they need trade from the outside world to survive.
      When the oil runs out how do they feed their millions if they do not have good relations with the outside world and decent trade.?
      They can't grow enough food in their dessert of a country so they need the rest of the world!
      Its time that people stopped taking the actions of a very small minority of people and reflecting them on a whole nation. Most people want to just be able to sit down watch their TV after a nice meal and go out for a beer once in a while (even in Saudi! lol)

What I meant is every self-determined country will see the U.S. as a potential danger. To survive on an international field means either to be friends with the U.S. (it comes with sacrifices), either to possess the nuclear weapon. The U.S. proved to the world that it would use the atomic energy to eradicate a country if necessary (Japan), that it would go the extra mile to pilfer another country's national wealth (Afghanistan, Lybia, Iraq soon Iran), that it would sacrifice its own people (Vietnam war, Desert Storm, Iraq, Sept 11...) to reach its goal. Had I been at the head of a wealthy country it would be the first measure that I would take, protect my country against another's lust! Reason speaks here.

1. profile image0
          SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol If we're pilfering the wealth of Afghanistan, Lybia, Iraq etc. where the heck is it? That is beyond being a fraudulent and ridiculous statement. Actually, the US did not want to drop the bomb. Japan was warned, declined, one bomb dropped. Japan was warned, declined, 2nd bomb dropped. Hmmm...wonder which country showed no regard for its citizens there. Those bombs, leading to Japan's surrender, saved the Allied countries as a whole millions of casualties. I understand where you're going but Japan attacked us and we weren't even in the war. Their government refused to accept defeat, even after the first bomb, so the second, and finally surrender. Sorry, that one lies at the feet of the Japanese government.
          Still, more importantly, where is this wealth we've pilfered? I mean, seriously, we could use it right now.

11. mrnasir profile image56
    mrnasirposted 11 years ago

Saudi Arabia is expanding its power.Take a look:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ … story.html

No mention of nukes though.

And as the article clearly says, Saudi is interested in the Middle East, not in marching an army up the Champs Elysees.

12. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

Saudi Arabia has been a staunch ally of the US for many years. It has increased it's oil production quite a few times to hold the price of oil down to our benefit.

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When you say this, you mean that the ruling elite has seen it as being in their interests to align themselves with US policy.

Quite what Saudi Arabia is, I don't know. Perhaps Paraglider has a better idea.

Saudi has been my immediate neighbour from UAE and Qatar for the last ten years, but I've only spent 6 months in Sudi itself. Lean Man was there for a lot longer.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Yes. Quite true.

13. MrMaranatha profile image72
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

Just a heads up to all concerned...

I have noticed a trend of comments on my own hub.. comments that I have hidden to keep them from detracting from the hub itself... But there are Trolls in our midst whom I presume are at least Iranian Sympathizers if not actually from some Iranian Government Disinformation department.  However I tend to think that if they were from some official Disinformation group then they should have better English Skills...  This One however seems to be sowing seeds...  Seeds that potentially leave questions in mind that separate bitter friends... 

Saudi is not the Extremist group that this one claims them to be...
    Saudi is very troubled by the potential of Iran to cause trouble both with Saudi Arabia and all of the other OPEC relatives...

Iran is Desperate and will use every avenue at her disposal to try and win an advantage... even in Propaganda... even here in Hub Pages... with the hope of doing greater damage through political undercurrents in the World Wide Blog networks...

As for Saudi... I agree with the comment above... they are truly a threat to us on a par with the Smurfs. or .. maybe Gooby.. or the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man...

1. profile image0

Yes this same hubber, in another forum, was already called out for using terms such as "we" and "us" in reference to America. There are certain things that point to them not being American at all, though circumstantial.

On topic: Saudi is no threat to America. Iran, on the other hand, certainly is and will be more so, with nuclear capabilities.

1. MrMaranatha profile image72
        MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is also very  possible that some of these individuals are currently in USA.... at our colleges and or in the workplace... Legally or illegally... and because of the Liberal "Everybody is an American" rhetoric that is so prevalent these days... have the audacity to speak as though they are Americans when in fact they are nothing more than Foreign Trolls camped out on our good graces and abusing the American Welcome Mat.  (Or maybe we could say they are "Using America For a Welcome Mat to wipe their dirty feet on".)

The American welcome mat that also welcomed your famished family few generations ago! Don't think that you are that different from them!

The difference is in Appreciation of what America is and what it stands for. as for how long a Native American has been an american that is another thing.

2. maxoxam41 profile image63

Your lack of reason is obstructing your objectivity therefore your judgement. Saudi Arabia is fundamentalist! Your arrogance equals your ignorance!

1. profile image0

lol As opposed to your objectivity? Please spare us.

2. MrMaranatha profile image72

Fundamentalist is one thing... but that is not the word you used the first time.. you said Radical or Extremist etc.  There is a huge difference between being a fundamental and being some form of Extremist.

I would rather deal with a Fundamentalist any day of the week than to deal with a person who is truly and extremist and only pretends to be of the faith.

14. knolyourself profile image61

It is also very  possible that some of these individuals are currently in the third world.

15. knolyourself profile image61

"these same banks had been borrowing massive amounts from the government to remain afloat. The total numbers are staggering: $7.7 trillion of credit—one-half of the GDP of the entire nation. $460 billion was lent to J.P. Morgan, Bank of America, Citibank, Wells Fargo, Goldman Sachs, and Morgan Stanley alone—without anybody other than a few select officials at the Fed and the Treasury knowing."

16. knolyourself profile image61

I have been in a fundamentalist country, been awhile I admit, were nobody was allowed to drive on Saturday, 'cept a few taxi cabs. Seems a bit extreme to me.

Fundamentals... fundamentalists... at least 1) believe in a set standard that is practicaly set in stone. therefore everyone knows where they stand and what the standards are from day to day.. it does not change. 
      Radicals and extremists however are chaotic ... how they observe the law or control people under their authority is as unstable as the bottom of the sea that churns with the tide.

Any of your true Fundmentalists would be better to live under than any extremist counterpart.

17. knolyourself profile image61

"Fundamentals... fundamentalists... at least 1) believe in a set standard that is practicaly set in stone. therefore everyone knows where they stand and what the standards are from day to day.. it does not change."  ... "Radicals and extremists however are chaotic" I would think that radicals and extremists are people who try to create change, that the fundamentalists will not allow.

Generally... exactly... Fundamentals stick to the book that is the foundation... it is the same regardless of what religion your talking... only difference being what the books themselves teach.  Bible=Biblical Christianity or Jewdaism... Koran= Fundamental Islam... But they tend to go by their book and its not changing.  Radicals take little bits of the book and go off in vendetta intangents... get a group of followers and try to blow up the world for the cause... even when the book teaches against it.. like Westboro who calls themselves Baptist but do things that most Baptist say is Contrary to what the Book says...
      Westboro represents a Radical or Extremist element apart from the Fundamentals of the Baptist faith.

Bus blowing in the name of Jihad... wearing the death vest... that is probably not found in the Koran at all... but is a verse or three taken out of context and preached to the weak minded... by people who are just power tripping control freaks.

18. RichardGisMe profile image60
    RichardGisMeposted 11 years ago

Sometimes, the people here in America surprise me, particularly, people on the internet. To maxoxam41... Are you educated in world politics? In the slightest?  Saudi Arabia is NOT the most "extreme" or fundamental at all! If anything, that nation is polar opposite of what you pose them as. Saudi Arabia has been a part of the UN since 1945, the World Trade Organization since '05.... Jesus, in 1991, they let the United States station troops on their soil, aiding us in the Persian Gulf War! Their royal family openly invites America to "cut off the head of the snake," aka Iran, the ACTUAL threat. The Saudis trade with members of the EU as well as America, hell, the United Kingdom to this day provides the Saudis with military aircraft, ordinance, and training.... The Arabs and Muslims, their NEIGHBORING COUNTRIES, view the Saudis as pro-West.

The whole point to all that is this: Saudi Arabia has long been an ally to the United States and much of the western world. If anything, WE should AID them in fostering their nuclear program, as to strengthen ties to one of our ONLY allies of the Middle East. When conflict occurs with Iran, which we're all expecting, who do you think will be the first to strike out for us? Saudi Arabia. Who will provide strategic positioning for us against Iran? Saudi Arabia. Who sells us the oil to power our military equipment? Saudi Arabia.   Face it, kiddo... We need them.

AND... Who are we to "block" anyone's decision to do anything, especially any ally!?  America is a "superpower," yes, but we should take a step back and realize that America, "World Police" aside, doesn't have the right to infringe on the sovereignty of other nations.  How would we, as the citizens of America, react to, say, the UK, trying to "block" us from spending government funds on ANY development.... there'd be an outcry of rage and we'd probably sanction the shit out of them.

Conclusion: You are wrong, Saudi Arabia is no threat. You are a typical, pig-headed "American" bully, the kind the ACTUAL terrorists want to destroy.

Note - I'm sure there are many Saudi citizens who dislike America and our policy, but it's the government that controls the populace, and this one in Saudi Arabia, has been in control and keeping their people happy for quite some time. I think we're good, bro.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)