Clean up or get out!!

1. theliz profile image61
    thelizposted 4 years ago

I live in a major US city, very crowded, lots of junk on the streets that gets swept up by street sweepers every Monday and Tuesday (at least on my block).  The little lady next to me goes outside and sweeps her sidewalk every day.  She picks up trash from the patch of grass between her chunk of the curb and her front stoop.  She even sweeps up for me from time to time.  As I watched her and the street sweeper one day it dawned on me: why aren't we all doing this? Why aren't we as citizens required to maintain whatever little patch of earth we occupy? To be held responsible by the State for picking up after ourselves.  Think about it: we could take all the narcos who waste time targeting and arresting people for minor violations and turn them into the Green Squad.  We could issue citations to people who don't maintain certain basic levels of cleanliness and order in their designated outdoor zone, using the funds to subsidize neighborhood gardens and green spaces.  The trees would grow, the flowers would bloom and America would be a much prettier (and healthier) place.  So, why don't we???? Can anybody tell me?

1. Quilligrapher profile image89
      Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good Evening, Liz.  I can understand why you would complain.

I can not speak for your location. I live in a suburb of New York City and the law is the same there as it is here.  The area between the private owner’s property line and the curb is municipal property but the property owner is required by law to maintain this area including sweeping and snow/ice removal. So, get out your broom and snow shovel, Liz, you may already be required in your city to maintain the little patch of earth you occupy as well as the municipal property between you and street.