jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

20 Years Ago

1. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

Germany marks 20 years since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

1. 0
      Scott.Lifeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I still remember the guy with the sledge hammer pounding away and nothing was really happening, in the background a crane was pulling a section down. That was a momentous day, or night if I remember correctly.

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

20 years and 1 Day.... You're late & still Monday lol

3. Brian Leighton profile image73
    Brian Leightonposted 7 years ago

I felt sorry for all those that gathered last week for the U2 concert in Berlin only to discover that they had erected temporary walls around the concert to prevent onlookers. I know they placed TV's outside, but it kind of defeated the purpose of celebrating barriers being broken...

4. tksensei profile image61

I had a lot of students who were right there at that time. I remember for a few weeks there was a 'boom' in selling random chunks of brick and cement that were supposedly from the wall.

1. 0
      Scott.Lifeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I've always been suspicious of the block on my shelf too, should have been tipped off by the made is USA stamp in the casting....I got got again.

5. tksensei profile image61

And the dominoes are falling this very moment! If anyone out there can turn on the TV in the next few seconds.

1. 0
      Madame Xposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Which our president chose not to attend . . .

1. tksensei profile image61
        tksenseiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Of course. It wouldn't have been all about him, and it would have highlighted the distinction between his clueless dithering on foreign policy and the firm consistency of Reagan that really set the dominoes in motion.

1. 0
          Madame Xposted 7 years ago in reply to this

LOL smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
          Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Gorbachev had as much to or more to do with it coming down.
          But, whatever, it was a great moment in history.

1. 61
            C.J. Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

American Presidents have allways had the ability to leave huge foot prints on history. While obviously Reagan didn't single handedly tear down the Berlin Wall, his sense of timing certainly helped the issue reached critical mass.  I would say that the people of East and West Germany had the most to do with the wall coming down.

6. manlypoetryman profile image74
    manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago

The truest definition of "Tear Down the Wall Between Us"...quite literally...happened Twenty years ago. Thanks for posting this...as a reminder!

7. tksensei profile image61

Did anyone else watch (or attend!) the celebrations in Berlin? Seemed a pretty joyous event.

working