Copenhagen, Denmark Conference shun public transportation.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (167 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image70
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

The current conference in Copenhagen has witnessed the use of 1200 limosines shunning public transportation. Copenhagen had to get a number of the limos from neighboring Germany to fill the order. Is this because of a security risk for the attendees or is it an elitist way of dealing with the problem from a distance?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, limos? if i was attending this conference, i would have said no limos. that's just wrong. why didn't one of those Hybrid car companies offer a fleet of free cars for the occasion?

1. glendoncaba profile image73
        glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably would not be bullet proof etc.  Just a neutral observation.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In fairness to Obama, this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and he's the president of the US.  It's not like he's using 1200 limos on a daily basis.  There's a point where people ought to knock off the pick-pick-picking-apart  of every last thing that gets done.  Really - should a president and/or Nobel-Prize winner be using public transportationto events?  I have more than my share of things to pick him apart over, but I think this is a non-issue.

2. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This may shock you but Copenhagen has as many as 5 hybrid vehicles in the whole city .

rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But as most of Europe they have a public transprtation system.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
            Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The limousines have nothing to do with the merit of the issues being discussed. It's an unnecessary and pretty meaningless diversion. Where I live in Detroit limos or taxis are the only way for travelers to get to and from the airport. This is true in many cities all over the world. Perhaps the sponsors in Copenhagen could have done a better job of pointing the visitors to public transportation. Unfortunate.

1. profile image0
              Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  The populist crap is just a diversion from real issues.  I get sick of it.  I dunno, could it be a security issue or a diplomatic issue that they didn't take public transportation?

Another thing that gets me is the promotion of the supposed wealth of some politicians--ie, Obama.  Yeah, he has a nice house...but houses in the million dollar(s) range are not that unusual in cities like Chicago and New York.  When I lived in NYC, we had friends with an apt. at 1 million.  He was a computer programmer, she was an admin. assist.  This was kinda typical.

I hate ridiculous misrepresentation.

1. tksensei profile image59
                tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ridiculous indeed. $1 million apartments are not 'typical' in NYC.

1. profile image0
                  Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like you know anything.  Especially living out in a shack near Wichita. 

I assume you know they buy apts. like they buy houses in other parts of the country?  It was a typical middle class apt., west side. 

It would probably be easier if you didn't try to pretend to be something you are not.

LOL!!!!

Am I back in Kansas again? LOL! Too funny.

2. tksensei profile image59

I know all about it, but just to be sure I bothered to double check with a friend who is a life-long New Yorker before I posted.

$1 million apt. = not 'typical,' not 'middle class.'

next?

3. tksensei profile image59

What am I pretending to be that I am not? Is this about your friend with poor IP tracking skills again, or just your over-active imagination?

2. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

And many flew there on private jets! The hypocrisy is monumental! But that's to be expected by leftist scare tactic jealotts!

3. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Especially since they're making decisions on data that has proven to be false.  So much for impartial science.

1. profile image0
      Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How exactly is it PROVEN to be false? Ice caps aren't melting, the ocean isn't rising, and pollution isn't contributing to smog and greenhouse gas build up in industrialized areas? I guess that a hack email from a small group of scientist working on one project debunks the entire field and all of its independently verified data taken over the last 20 years that do show an increase in average global temperature. So tell me LD besides an economist, war expert and history professor are you adding climatology to your resume of knowledge and expertise. Or are you once again just regurgitating something you heard or saw on a talk show?

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then I guess you are the expert on all the things he is not? Global warming/Global cooling=BULLSHIT! I don't think one need be an expert to see through the fraud.

1. profile image0

Where's the fraud wise ass. One group says they were fudging results so now it means all of them across the entire world are engaged in a global conspiracy to scare you into stopping pollution get a life. These conspiracy stories are bullshit like you and most of your extremist kill em all ideas and theories. Bullshit, yeah you'd be the expert in that field.

1. profile image0

Angry little feller aintcha? I would sit and argue with you but I'm afraid you would hurt yourself.

1. profile image0

Yeah good move I'd leave too if I denied the truth that was out my front door and blindly followed along ignoring the reality of the situation because it meant I might have to alter my lifestyle. Run away, thats what you do isn't it?

1. profile image0

Not leaving, just gonna laugh at you, not argue.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Scott's question was a fair one. Ldt only stated an opinion, an incorrect one at that, with no facts to back it up. And your're not noted, either, for facts, Tex.

2. profile image0

Weeks? How about 55 minutes ago? Still laughing!

1. profile image0

yeah 55 minutes ago, and the first time in weeks, yet here you are still speaking for him, and defending him. Funny, is he not able to speak?

1. profile image0

You called me an asshole am I supposed to slink away from you? I will defend and attack whomever I choose! As far as all I have is laughing at you, well, it seems to be enough!

1. profile image0

Oh no I called you an asshole, while you're dropping F-bombs with impunity and talking about my Bullshit, yeah that's just mean on my part. I should apologize.

1. profile image0

I don't care if you apologize you must have me confused with a sensitive person. I'm just not gonna run away because you want me to, that should be apparent by now.

I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to confusing you with any part of sensitive.

2. profile image0

what's apparent is that you feel the need to defend or attack anyone you choose while belittling anyone who exercises that option as well.

1. profile image0

Thats true, isn't that what I said a ways back? Yes, yes it was.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66

He's probably a Glenn Beck fan.

2. rhamson profile image70

I would agree to a certain extent.  Some of the data they were espousing now seems to be suspiciously false but not everything.  I know it is hard to accept anything from a liar but not all of them were.

The pathetic part of this is the hypocrisy of claiming environmental catastrophe and then ignoring the bad example they set with their flagrant ignorance by their lifestyle.  A report on CNN showed how the busses and trains were empty while the participants got out of their limos.

It reminds me of the auto executives getting off their private planes in DC with a tin cup in their hand.

4. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

It is tragic and hypocritical to take a limo to a climate conference but saying the actions of one small group of people discredits a field that employs thousands with an Education and expertise far in advance of any I've encountered on this forum is the same as saying priests caught in indiscretion disproves all of the Bible and God's existence.

I agree Scott and there are some who will blow the entire thing out of proportion because of the acts of a few.  There has to be some sort of acknowledgement from the scientists that the emails greatly feed the naysayers and if anything good is to come from this conference the reprimand or expulsion of these individuals caught in this deceit should happen to get some credibility.

The limo thing can only hurt their muddied image.

1. profile image0

No Rhamson you forget if some wind bag on air says its a fraud then the masses will line up to support it no matter what the tangible evidence suggests. That"s right Texan lets destroy the planet because its not actually happening, you won't be around to suffer for it so why care, I love your attitude. Reality is knocking

1. profile image0

Just like some windbag says it's happening and you want to spend MY money to stop it. When you actually get something in life then see if you want to throw it away on scams, I bet you wont!

1. profile image0

Who are you talking to asshole I've worked my whole life for the things I want you arrogant jackass. I'm not your kid.

1. profile image0

I was talking to you, are you confused? I don't care whose kid you are! I don't care what you have or don't have, fucking with me is gonna just get you madder and madder. Laughing at you!!

Careful, careful you may be zapped into nowhere land again Tex.

1. profile image0

Really by being called an asshole? Mind your own business Rhamson! If Scottlife has something to say let him say it.

Temper, temper little feller.  I am not defending Scottlife as he is perfectly able to do so himself.  He is a big boy, how about you?

2. profile image0

Why don't you throw around some more big cuss words old man and laugh some more if it makes you feel bigger, it's all you're going to get. That's what you're good at isn't it starting shit? Must be a sad and boring life in retirement.

1. profile image0

Lets see, you jump on defense because you wanted to start something but don't like it when it comes back to you? Global warming is a scam, global cooling is a scam, don't like that I think that? Too bad.

1. profile image0

Bring it then...I'm not hiding...and then criticizing scams

I agree that there is cattle out there that go wherever the wind blows and most of it is not directed at the prime issue but a conspiracy on a much grander scale.

I don't know why those select few scientists wished to slant the findings other than for expediency or manipulation but it just harms the whole movement towards any real solutions. 

I am all for further investigation and real solutions based on those findings but the findings must be substantiated before we throw a bunch of resources and time at it.

5. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

The overwhelming, easy remedy is to charter busses or even trains to take them to and from. Even security could be provided on public transport. Yes, it's elitist. Their shallow excuses are too completely overwhelmed by their entitlement issues. They are the world's most affluent consumers, the biggest of all who promote easy disposal, and then because of entitlement espouse issues that will increase their status and notoriety, under the guise of making the world better.

Indeed these people don't want dire poverty and suffering, but neither do they want the world to be affluent, otherwise they lose control over the masses. It's a delicate balance and a carefully orchestrated charade, regardless of how factual the evidence is for and against global warming and any other debatable social isssue.

I can see your point but we must remember that the majority of the attendees at the conference are politicians or their confederates and while the image is that they are environmental in their mission they are nevertheless slime bag politicians.  Unfortunately the only way to get any remedy to the Global Warming dillema is through these lousy criminals.  I am just always amazed at the gall of some of these people.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And, therefore, I have no disagreement with your observations. I agree. But understanding their motive for doing what they do is also paramount about how to approach winning their slime-bag support to promote betterment. Their issues are about how to promote themselves is first, while "bettering society through law" is just their paycheck. Puts it in perspective for me.

I do agree that there is a whole lot of egos being thrown around among the scientific community and therefore some skeptisicm about some of their claims.  But we have to look beyond that and see if there is merit and action required to stem what could harm us.  It is in our best interest to chase it out.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said!

6. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Must you now be an expert to be skeptical of the motivations of those that appear to have an agenda driven other forces than by the pure scientific accuracy?

The emails and subsequent statements made by those “scientists and academics” involved in this “Contrived Conspiracy” admitted to altering data and excluding research that refuted their forgone conclusions designed to support political and social change wanted by the academic/political progressive movement.

I wonder if it was for expediencies sake that this kind of tampering took place because they don't have all the information.

1. readytoescape profile image60
        readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From the quotes I read (in the emails) it appears clear they altered the data and denied opposing research findings to align support in a channeled and prearranged direction. I suspect under the guise and pressure of funding withdrawal.

I can accept that as we are talking about scum bag politicians running this show.  I can also see that struggling for funding plays into this  as well.  I just wish that there was a better way this could be attacked that would get more people engaged about the truth and a solution.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62

"Saving face" is perhaps part of the motive. The evidence may not be as severe as our beloved Al Gore promotes, and therefore, credibility is in danger of being blown to bits by conservatives. The factual picture may be somewhere between the two extremes of non-problem to extreme-problem, and therefore, it takes the wind out of the sails of present science. What that does NOT do is give an accurate picture of the rate and potential danger it causes in the immediate to distant future. So creating the Chicken Little syndrome and saying the sky is falling is the more prudent approach to liberals and scientists for the sake of "cleaning it up," and keeping funding for further research. (But again, how accurate is the research going to be, really?)

My personal view is that global warming is not a charade. If you look on a microcosmos level at pollution and its effects on persons, animal and plant life alone, you begin to piece together the big picture. What I think has happened is that we have a bunch of scientists and liberal politicians who have subscribed to the "end of the world" show, and have big money invested in it. While I think that's fundamentally wrong, I do think there is a real threat about environmental issues, but I don't think it's been presented clearly or in an unbiased way. I just don't think it's dooms-day. I think it's problematic, that's all.

1. readytoescape profile image60
          readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I still have not read or seen anything that convinces me the great global cataclysm that is predicted as truth, pollution problems yes, but none to the extant of what we previously experienced in the 60’s and 70’s.

And none to the extent that we should even consider Cap and Trade legislation that will absolutely kill any type of economic recovery. This event in Denmark is purely political in nature designed to kick off support for just such progressive legislation.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62

On the whole, I agree with you. As for Cap and Trade legislation, they better put their thinking caps on and follow that time-line of events as to what it would do, because if they don't, it could be disastrous, as you allude.

7. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

It must be considered that all of this discussion and the base assumption of “global ecological damage” surrounds money and political power, the means to obtain it and the progressive panacea of a one-world government.

These are but the first steps in the maneuvers towards that end, global currency will be next.

I don't think you can stop the world currency from happening now anyway. With global trade so ingrained into our world and domestic footprint it is truly inevitible.

2. glendoncaba profile image73
      glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dont need to be a climatology expert to know that you are correct. 

2 reasons:  the planet goes through cycles of hot and cold,
      and the bible predicts an effort at one world government.

simple.

8. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

can I love you both Atexan and Scott.Life

1. profile image0

Why surely, I actually like Texan, he is just my designated adversary for the day.

It's a shame that all he likes to do is joke and fight.

2. alexandriaruthk profile image69
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ok, can you both have peace now, I love you both, youre both my strong men, and you are both marines, I love marines

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

At the same time? Shame on you!

9. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

More clueless liberals wanting everyone else to do the work.

1. profile image0

Not the old clueless Liberals, oh no.

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Scott whats up?

1. profile image0

Nothing, me and Texan are calling each other funny words and trying to see who can piss the farthest.

1. profile image0

Well isn't that special!

1. profile image0

Yeah it sure is.

2. profile image0

No scott, you're doing that, I pissed the furthest a long time ago! And did it without calling you anything.

1. profile image0

Hey I know if I act like an asshole I will be called one, you need to clue into that fact as well sometime. Mr. Sensitive.

1. profile image0

I am an asshole, sensitive? not so much.

1. profile image0

Well we finally agree on something.

1. profile image0

Yup, and you still make me laugh!

Must be a tidy little world you live in.  Was it always that easy or did you have to work at it?

1. profile image0

Hey rhamson! I'm just being a pest.

Pretty explosive statement without it being directed anywhere specific you must admit smile

1. profile image0

I just don't know any better. I would like to see the CEO's and world experts walk the talk.

I guess your statement was a point of order back to the topic.  It is refreshing to get back on topic again.  I agree that it would be nice to see the elitist walk the talk. 

We just have to wade through this horrible system that was created in absense from our participation and jumped up and bit us.  I am of course speaking of the politicians who want us to stay out of it and let them live their richly deserved lifestyle.

1. profile image0

Transpotation is a topic where our leaders could show some leadership except for security issues.

10. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Or her

11. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

The earth has been cooling for the last 3 years.

Ah, but...thecoolingisactuallypartofthewarmingwhichisabsolutely withoutquestionactuallyhappeningweknowbecausefortheminisculefractionofamomentthatwe'vebeenrecordingclimateduringtheteeny-tinyamountoftimewehavelivedinanindustrialageduringthevanishinglybriefblipthathumanshaveevenexistedonthisplanetagroupofpeoplewithapoliticalagendasayso.

See? Simple.

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. What better way to scare citizens and take more of their money than to make them feel guilty and tell them they are killing the planet. lol

What if Al is only half right and we ignore his warning?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The odd thing for me is the amount of people who take Pascal's wager on the one hand and then claim that there is "not enough hard evidence" for climate change.

That is a peculiar conundrum I admit but there is a conspiracy element with regard to monetary gain that has some legs to it.

I was watching a story last night about the glaciers in the arctic circle and how when measured were getting taller which would refute the claims that they were melting more quickly than in the past.  The lead geologist found that indeed they were taller than even two years ago but not for the reasons we are led to believe.  He said that as the glacier is melting the water is going underneath and raising it by making it float higher. I believe more study is needed and we have to find a credible way to get to the bottom of the rate there is warming and what can be done to slow it.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
                Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I automatically don't believe it if my government tells me. lol

The issue - as with all political issues is the incredible amount of disinformation around.

2. profile image56
            C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then we are faced with an inconvienent truth. He's a liar, and is somewhat responsible for the impending damage(boy who cried wolf).

And if that is an inconvenient truth I guess we will handle it as we do with all crisis situations,  throw a lot of money at it and find someone to fry for failing us.

1. profile image56

It's the American way.

I agree wholeheartedly smile

2. tksensei profile image59

Only the boy who cried wolf didn't get an Oscar for it.

1. profile image56

Or a Nobel Peace Prize.....Maybe Al has more talent? NAHHH that can't be right???? Al has more talent than a fair tale character???LOL

But we may get an academy award worthy disaster if even half of what he says is right.

I believe there are some who would be very happy about such a disaster.

Why would you say that?

2. profile image56

Meteorology can't predict with 75% Certainty regarding weather changes outside of 72hrs. However I'm supposed to believe them with 100% certainty what they predict regarding climate change over the next 10 to 30 years.  Not doing so makes me a "Right Wing Nut", "Conspiracy Theorist", etc.....maybe I'm just a realist.
                  This is a niche of science that hasn't enjoyed a good reputation for reliability. They certainly aren't helping their cause....

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Many of the deniers are liars financed by EXXON and the American electric power industry, including the MIT professor Richard Lindzen who everybody likes to cite. A big majority of scientists believe there is cause for concern over global warming. Lindzen has also expressed doubt about whether smoking causes lung cancer. He's known as a contrarian, a kind of troll in the scientific world.

1. Misha profile image63
                Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, I promise EXXON does not finance me, neither American power industry does tongue And thank you for the liar. smile

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

I'm relieved to hear that Misha

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Which reminds me of an old Russian joke. To give you a necessary background, they do announce the next stop when leaving the current one, in Moscow Metro(Underground).

So, terrorists captured a metro train, and putting a gun against operator's head demand he drive them to Copenhagen. The operator tries to explain that it is impossible to go anywhere but already dug tunnels, but he is confronted with a clear choice - either drive to Copenhagen, or get a hole in your head. So, he announces to the train: "Be careful, doors are closing. The next stop is Copenhagen". wink

13. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

i love it when I find an attempt at middle ground perspective..here's one on this issue.

http://www.voteronpaul.com/newsDetail.p … ction-2836

14. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

http://www.chronomaddox.com/troll/trollbgone.jpg

edit--oops.  First one didn't work...

Does being insulting benefit you personally in some way?

15. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

If you call this 'insulting,' actually, yeah, it does.  I've learned I don't have an issue dealing with people I'd consider of a certain moral character in a certain way.

I've got other stuff to write.  Have a good night trolling.

That is unfortunate. If you wanted to, you could do better.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)