jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

UK Government mired in yet more expenses sleaze!

1. CMHypno profile image88
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

Minister in charge of the Treasury and cutting the budget deficit is forced to resign after it is found that he channelled £40,000 of taxpayer's money to his secret lover.  And the Lib Dems campaigned on the fact that it was the other two parties that had been over claiming on their expenses!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … lover.html

1. Lady_E profile image81
      Lady_Eposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What tickles me is that, people are describing him on the news as an "Honourable Man".  A similar case was in the news this week and the Politician in question had to go to Court.

CMHypnoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He'll be back in government before we know it because he 'did the right thing' by resigning.  But he must have known that he was breaking the rules, and as he is a millionaire it's not as if he needed the money or could not afford to support his partner.

Maybe the problem is that too many members of the Cabinet are millionaires, and they really do not have a clue as to how the rest of us have to live, and maybe they have not been too scrupulous in how they gained their fortunes?

2. 0
    Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago

I for one am outraged.  Imagine, MP's claiming for stuff their not entitled to, what a shocker.  And there was I thinking that people elected to serve the people would do so without a thought for their own personal welfare.  I thought that engaging in politics meant self sacrifice, putting your own career on hold and speaking for those less able than yourself.  Oh well, such is life.

3. 0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

I'm cross that he keeps saying that he claimed the money to hide the fact that he was gay. This is complete rubbish.  As a very wealthy man he didn't need to claim any money at all.  Frankly I do not care about his sexuality, nor any other politicians - but it was cheating. His claim that he didn't consider he was in a partnership is as rissible as Bill Clinton's "I didn't have sexual relations with that young woman". What is it with politicians?  I can never work out whether they are not as intelligent as we're always told- or they are just crooks! So much for Nick Clegg's claim that they were the party to clean up politics.

CMHypnoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The annoying thing is that they obviously think that we are all stupid.  I don't care about his sexual orientation, but I do care that he carried on claiming £950 a month to rent rooms in his partner's house even after the rules were very clearly changed. To try and blur the lines on what a 'partner' is was just his way of trying to get away with it and emerge with his reputation intact