jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Is Anyone Else Tired of "Swagger?"

1. Beyond-Politics profile image86
    Beyond-Politicsposted 6 years ago

During the past decade, young urban men susceptible to Pop Culture’s influence (based in part on most women’s romanticized images of such) have both aspired and claim to be “thugs,” then “soldiers,” and now must possess the latest culturally-inspired attribute about themselves—a “swagger”—in order to be considered either a real man or to be a complete and socially-accepted person.
         As a man, I am personally sick of being sacked with the burden of having to rise to the expectations of someone’s image of what they feel a “real man” to be.  Am I the only person in America who has the brass pair to say, “F*** a ‘Swagger’…I’m going to be me!?”  Is anyone else tired of the concept of swagger?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Resounding "yes."  It is usually guys who think they've got "swagger" who insist on hollering at me every 2 blocks if I have the audacity to walk down the street without a male companion.  And actually, a male companion doesn't always stop them.  I guess it depends whether they think he's got "swagger."

2. luvpassion profile image60
    luvpassionposted 6 years ago

Never heard that term other than the way someone walks...strange, is it like yuppie? wink

3. BDazzler profile image82
    BDazzlerposted 6 years ago

Oh just pass me some raw meat and let me belch and scratch in peace.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I don't know this current attribute.. I've never heard of a swagger except many years ago, it had a 't' on the end and it referred more to drunks.

I say, forget it and be yourself. who cares what the current pop flavor is.

1. Beyond-Politics profile image86
      Beyond-Politicsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL and A-MEN!

5. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

True "swagger" comes solid self-esteem and self confidence. It is not nor does it come from an influence of stupidity. lol

6. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago

i only swagger when I've had too many beers... then i puke in the parking lot and drive 20 miles an hour down the highway home.

If you're worried about people wanting you to swagger, just punch those people in the face.

7. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

It boils down to the "bad boy' image .apparently some women flock to these types...roll