jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Islamic Court: UAE Says Wife, Child Beating OK - Just Don't Leave Any

1. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

October 19, 2010 8:45 AM
    Islamic Court: UAE Says Wife, Child Beating OK - Just Don't Leave Any Marks

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (CBS/AP) Apparently, it is perfectly OK for a man to beat his wife and young children, according to the UAE's highest judicial body, as long as the thrashing doesn't leave any physical marks.

The decision by the Federal Supreme Court shows the strong influence of Islamic law in the Emirates despite its international appeal in which foreign residents greatly outnumber the local population.

The court made the ruling earlier this month in the case of a man who beat his wife and adult daughter. The court stated that the man crossed the line suggested by Sharia Law because the daughter was not a minor and the wife sustained visible injuries."

ok,I'm sure most people will be opposed to this,so what is anything can be done to help?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- … 04083.html

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Let it remain their own family problem.  No one has the right to interfere in these things, except legal authorities.   Even if law intervenes, the family will break up.    No one has the right to break up a family.   Especially others who have different culture should not even discuss these things..... as they do not like to discuss their own culture.

1. 0
        Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's why there are so many beatings there. Other people are not allowed to interfere. Thay are just sitting and watching. Nice!

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is a world of difference, between "corrective" physical reprimanding, and "thrashing'' someone ... out of sheer vengeance.

Those still familiar ... with parental love, and conjugal sincerety... know, physical reprimanding is allowed in Islam for its Social amd Moral Value ... not as the means of venting a conceit.

2. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

I admit, I had to laugh at this court ruling.

3. Alfursan profile image59
    Alfursanposted 6 years ago

Time and again scholars point out that Islam is a religion of peace because 'Islam' means peace. That's OK.

Now if courts in Muslim countries "legalize" beating up of wives what are we supposed to conclude?

4. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

How do you "beat someone" without leaving visible marks?

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I hear a gunney sack full of oranges inflicts internal damage but leaves few, if any bruises. The ways of the pros are many, and there are levels of expertise.

1. 0
        Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Really?  That's horrible.

5. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 6 years ago

Now why is the Lib crowd taking up the defense of Sharia law ?

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think the lib crowd's motivations are fluid, changing at their whim....