Latest polls on Health Care Law:

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (31 posts)
  1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 13 years ago

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls … -1947.html

I was surprised that all but one poll show that more people want to repeal the new law than to keep it. It doesn't need to be repealed - it needs to be simplified and "fixed." The Rs and Ds need to work together to accomplish this task.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here's recent summary results from a recent poll - a REAL poll. More Americans are OPPOSED to repeal.

" Thirty-nine percent believe the health plan that Obama signed into law last year is a good idea, versus another 39 percent who think it's a bad idea.

But those saying it's a good idea is at its highest level since September 2009, and those saying it's a bad idea is at its lowest level since June 2009.

The poll also finds that 46 percent of respondents are opposed to repeal (with 34 percent strongly opposed), while 45 percent support the repeal effort (with 35 percent strongly in favor).

The full NBC/WSJ poll, which will be released beginning at 6:30 pm ET, was conducted Jan. 13-17 of 1,000 adults (200 reached by cell phone), and it has a margin of error of plus-minus 3.1 percentage points.

"Thirty-nine percent believe the health plan that Obama signed into law last year is a good idea, versus another 39 percent who think it's a bad idea.

But those saying it's a good idea is at its highest level since September 2009, and those saying it's a bad idea is at its lowest level since June 2009."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 … and-repeal

1. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Morning, Doug. I wasn't at all surprised by the FOX or Rasmussen results, but I was a little surprised by the CNN results. I've always thought CNN to be fair.

Morning, Rose. My link was to an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, which found only a minority want repeal.

This is a summary of the most recent CNN poll. If there is any reason to doubt the integrity of the CNN polling, I would like to see it. Of the CNN poll -

"According to the poll, when asked if they would rather see Congress vote to repeal all of the provisions or keep them in place, 50 percent of all Americans favor repeal - even though only one in six dislike everything in the bill. Four in ten oppose such a move."

RealClearPolitics does not seem to have posted the actual reports of the scientific polling organizations.

1. habee profile image91

I'm confused. CNN says 50% want to repeal the law? I just can't imagine scrapping the entire thing and starting over from scratch. Surely our elected officials can work together to make it better - especially less complicated so that the average citizen can understand it.

There's an incredible disparity on the results of polling when done by honest polling organizations. Those over 50 generally favor repeal - those under generally favor reform. IMO, this reflects just how effective the wingnut scare tactics have been that Health Care Reform will happen at the expense of Medicare.

If you look at the Pence plan to 'reform' medicare you see a real attempt to gut medicare. Mike Pence gave the rebuttal to the State of the Union address, but most Republican voters are unaware how his plan would eviscerate programs for Seniors.

Yet Seniors vote conservative like lemmings and ignore the fact that Medicare and Social Security are programs the democrats made and programs democrats will protect.

1. habee profile image91

I thought Paul Ryan gave the GOP response? Are you trying to confuse me on purpose?? lol

ooopps - My bad.

"Ryan’s plan slashes Social Security and Medicare, the latter by 80% around 70 years from now (come to think of it, when my daughter would be using it). It wouldn’t balance the budget, as Miller said, until 2063. It would make the debt problem worse by a staggering $62 trillion. It would slightly raise taxes on the middle class, according to reviews by admittedly liberal (though expert) policy analysis shops.

And why would it do all these things in the name of fiscal prudence? Because in keeping with supply-side religion, it must first and foremost do that which supply-side economics holds as its First Commandment: cut taxes on the morally superior rich. It is madness. It is a joke."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … n-bachmann

2. DannyMaio profile image60
          DannyMaioposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so if it doesnt go your way they are not fair???? that is very funny!

2. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Part of the problem with ammending the law is it's complexity. Remember, the bill was so complicated that Nancy Pelosi said "We have to pass it to find out what's in it". Based on this complexity it would be better to start over. That's not going to happen.

Another part of the problem is what "lovemychris" stated. For some healthcare is "Obamacare" and therefore is discarded out of hand as bad policy.

My take is this. The full intent of this law was to drive public opinion towards a single payer system. This law will drive insurance cost up, not down. Once that occurs the people will be BEGGING for the public option.

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

I think we need to face it habee...this is not about repealing the healthcare bill, it's about repealing Obama and any and all Democrats in gvt.
    They...R's and TP's want total control just like they had before.
    They are not interested in working together, tweaking, any of that...they want POWER. Dems out-them in.

Bachmann SAID it.
    DeMint said it....on the floor.

Time to get Obama out, get Dems out...so they can have their way.
    And they are counting on the voters to do it. With their lying, smearing, demonizing mis-information campaign.
    It's the same old Robbers Barons all the time.

Republicorps of America.

1. habee profile image91

That's just one reason I don't care for Bachmann or Demint. Those whose only agenda is to bring Obama down are doing so at the expense of the American people. I don't support everything Obama does or wants to do, but he's moved to the center on many issues, and the right wing needs to meet him in the middle. If the Rs run someone like Bachmann, Demint, or Palin in 2012, I will vote for Obama!

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60
      BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um, LMC?  The goal of any party is to remove the other one from power.

Please tell me this is not news to you.....

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No it's not! The goal of any party is to represent its voters. While in opposition, this may involve supporting the government, not opposing them if the government is doing that which the opposing party would have done themselves if in power.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
          BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You lost me on that one, John.  Right now the GOP is doing a pretty good job of doing what many of us sent them to DC for.  No argument.

However, come election time, your goal is to remove some of their butts from the seats and replace them with some butts of your own.  It is actually quite simple.

LMC said it was about repealing Obama and the dems, which is exactly true.  The process was begun in 2010, and will hopefully be completed in 2012....

3. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

Habee - an online friend of mine commented that after he signed up to get NewMax or one of the right-leaning rags, he started getting 'polled' regularly.

That's the first hint of a bogus poll - they are working from a left or right leaning pool of respondents. He said that the poll ENDS when he gives a series of left-leaning answers and is presumably thrown out.

Notice that the poll I cited gives the dates the poll was done and the number of people polled. In this case they included cell phone respondents (200) which is critical because many voters do not have land lines, tend to be younger and tend liberal.

That the list of polls by Newsmax did NOT include this major, recent SCIENTIFIC poll makes the whole list suspect. Any article is suspect if it doesn't provide links to the raw data - or at least tell you how many people were polled and when in each poll.

Last year someone - Fox, I think, published results of an 'ongoing' poll - which is a contradiction in terms if you understand what a real poll IS.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. I signed up for NewsMax.com somehow. It's almost as bad as Fox News. I asked to be removed from their email last a few days ago, but the emails keep coming. (According to Quantcast Newsmax ranks 498 in U.S. traffic. HubPages ranks 46.)

1. tony0724 profile image61
        tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Ralph I thought Liberals liked all viewpoints. Don't they ? I am a regular at Huffington Post. Or do you only like viewpoints that align with yours ? George Will is not a simpleton by any means.

I read quite a few conservative publications. There are only so many hours in the day. My wife knows George Will's sister. She says he's a pr**k or words to that effect.

1. tony0724 profile image61
            tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course she does Ralph

4. lovemychris profile image76

The thing is, Romney is just as bad.....and I can't think of one Republican or TP'er who will budge one inch. Or who doesn't degrade Obama and the Dems at every chance they get.

If you can point one out, I would be very surprised. And it's depressing for me, as a Dem and an Obama supporter to see where this is going.

Right back to 1980. Only worse. 1890 for women and people of color.

Not you habee...there is much integrity in, let's say Republicans of a certain age.....those who hold to the Big R ideals!!
    But they never, before 1980, seemed to feel that they had the right to own America "lock stock and barrell' as Pence said.

When Republicans lost elections, they used to let the other side govern. Not anymore. Now it's a strangle-hold on this country they want, and it's totally un-American!
    IMO

1. habee profile image91

Have you read about McCain's speaking  up for Obama lately? Boy, are the far-right conservatives pi$$ed with John! Of course, that's nothing new. Most of them never thought of McCain as a REAL Republican (meaning a far right winger), which is why they saddled him with Palin.

Since the rise of the TP, the GOP is taking a turn I don't care for. The moderates in the party are being forced out by the hard right.

"Since the rise of the TP, the GOP is taking a turn I don't care for. The moderates in the party are being forced out by the hard right."

When writing a grocery list, 'TP' stands for... well, not tea.  The strategy of forcing moderates OUT of the GOP baffled me for years.  The result must be that the remaining GOP candidates and voters will be far out of the mainstream. IMO, the strategy is to put up a slate of extreme candidates,, which the GOP wants, and persuade voters to vote AGAINST democrats without looking at what they are putting in office.

Amazingly, a lot of these far-right-wingers will attack Social Security and Medicare - two programs Seniors support and depend on. Yes on McCain. YOu would find that he, Kerry and Obama are almost united on the response to revolution in Egypt.

5. lovemychris profile image76

Huffington post puts all viewpoints up...does Newsmax?. She is by no means an Obama fan...in fact, she pisses me off with her disparity.
    How do you go from being a rich wealthy Republican with Republican views, to a so-called liberal, which she is not?

Huffpo is not Liberal.
    You should read Veterans Today, or Think Progress, IF you want a "liberal" view.

I know there's more...but those 2 came to mind.

6. lovemychris profile image76

Ahaha--I couldn't resist:

"By George, What A Prick: Will Obnoxiously Corrects Donna Brazile’s English On National Television
    By: Blue Texan Sunday November 2, 2008 10:27 am   

Uh — seriously, what the hell is going on here?

It looks like George Will is apparently under the impression that it’s perfectly fine to go all Henry Higgins on Donna Brazile in front of the entire country.

It’s as though he just couldn’t help himself, and had to make sure that the rest of us could understand the poor, simple (cough!black!cough!) lady from Louisiana.

What an a$$hole."

Will did say one thing that amused me--He referred to Anne Coulter as "him."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0K0U3zfqA

Could be Will knows something the rest of us don't.  If so, inquiring minds want to know (no picures, please) - how did he find out?

1. habee profile image91

LOL!!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

True! Where's his birth certificate! Whoa, that might not be enough.

7. mortgage-news profile image60
    mortgage-newsposted 13 years ago

No matter what Obama does, the Republicans  will find ways to criticize his every move. Things have become so polarized, i feel like we would be better off without the party system so we just treat each politician as an individual, without being swayed by their gang colors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)