Parents Murdering Their Children: Is there a penalty stiff enough?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image54
    Kiki 1012posted 12 years ago

What is the wirld coming to!!?  There is not a day that goes by now that a child isn't harmed by their parent.  How can our children feel safe when the ones who are suppose to protect them and keep them safe are the ones that's hurting them.  I don't think there is a punishment great enough for someone who would harm an innocent child, i feel you really just have to be a heartless person to do that type of evil.

1. Repairguy47 profile image61
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can come up with various ways to punish them, hell would be the place they would beg to go.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Hell is not punishment enough.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

There isn't a more heinous crime. I don't know what should be done with child murderers, no punishment seems enough.

1. profile image54
      Kiki 1012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

4. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Parents who harm their own children are sick, not evil, and should be treated as such.

Harming any child is a symptom of something deeply damaged within the parent. The apparent increase in such cases is likely a direct result of the increase in impossible stresses on people both financially and from living in an uncaring society.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, but most people Rec1, are able to deal with social change, inequality, indeed social cruelty, without resorting to murdering a child. I agree, that an individual who murders their child is sick, I disagree regarding the reasons. I would be more inclined to look to their own past. The problem, for me at least, is how they are dealt with in society. If you were a Probation Officer, working with a child murderer who was on life licence-how would you protect children?

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do not find that to be always true, although insanity or crazy religious beliefs can and does play a part in a large number.

Not from from me, a 9 year old boy was systematically tortured over a period of weeks to months by the boyfriend of the mother.  Typical punishment included requiring the child to lay spread eagled on the floor while the 200 pound man "dropped a knee"; dropped his full weight onto one knee into the boys abdomen.  The child suffered such a range of internal injuries that he eventually couldn't walk, was drug to a nearby irrigation canal where the boys pockets were filled with rocks and he was thrown in.  To this day the coroner doesn't know if he drowned or was already dead, but it doesn't matter (except to wonder what that little boy was thinking as boyfriend stuffed his pockets with rocks at the side of the canal).

That man isn't sick, isn't even particularly evil.  Just totally amoral - he has no concept of common morals at all.  Other people are just toys and tools to be used and discarded as they become unfit to provide pleasure for him, as they can no longer react to the pain he inflicts.  As Kiki says, there is no "heart" in him.

The best that society can do to protect itself from the likes of those creatures is to quickly and, as humanely as possible, dispose of him.

5. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

I believe that many people should not be parents at all.   Many people have children because of societal, parental, religious, and other familial pressure.   Only a minute percentatge of people actually want children.   

I believe that parenthood is a sacred duty not to enter into lightly.     People should think long and hard because they decide to bring a beautiful and precious life into this world.    Many people treat parenthood as just a fancy, not something to be taken seriously.   Until parenthood is undertaken with sacredness , responsbility, forethought, and love, our precious children will suffer as a result. 

Furthermore, I must add that many parents do not view their children as individuals, but as appendages to treat as they will.   This atavistic notion of parenthood must cease.   The intelligent and enlightened parents know that their children are beautiful individuals in their own right who are to be treated with the utmost in human dignity.

6. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

Let me add- there is a penalty for such parents- HELL!

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

There are very few cases of parents murdering their own children.

There are a thousand times more case of the mother's boyfriend murdering the children.

That said, I'd side with recommend1 here. Anyone who kills their own child has got to be ill in the head.

And, you know, it doesn't much matter what society does to them afterwards, because no-one grieves a child like a parent.

At some point in their lives or their illness, it is going to dawn on them the enormity of their actions, and they still have to live through it. The pain must be unbearable!

I think it wise that society makes sure they can never again have more children, but there is no punishment that can be greater than what they will suffer when they realise what they have done.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)