jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Is the 2012 election a repeat of the 1980 Reagan-Carter election?

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years ago

The economy was flagging in 1980 just like it is now. What’s more, you’ve got Romney saying he’ll revitalize the economy with a new business-oriented strategy. This is similar to Reagan’s election strategy. And you have Obama unable to really take charge and exercise the full powers of the office of the presidency, which is similar to how Carter acted in a meek fashion. Are these similarities valid? Are there more?

2. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

Yes, if I may speak truthfully, and without being asccused of anything--just straight talk:

Romney is the same kind of a**hole Reagan was. Reagan threw all these mentally ill people out of hospitals with the phrase, "We're cutting their allowance."

Romney says he's not worried about poor people because "they already have programs in place."...I guess he doesn't know his own party....but they are into cutting those programs. While they cut taxes for the uber wealty of this country.

Reagan is the one who started this OPEC crappola...making all kinds of deals with those crum-bums, keeping us chained to Big Oil.
    Caring not ONE WHIT for the environment of the Earth.

Romney says he's going to "get Keystone going even if I have to do it myself."
    A sludge-river of chemical waste for America to drink.....how blatant a Koch-S*cker can he be?

This is what these kind of policies have wrought:

SHOCK: 20% of China's rivers are "too toxic even to touch." http://thkpr.gs/HUlBhI

"Taking stock of our environmental progress is particularly important in an election year, when some politicians and political hopefuls are pointing to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as an example of wasteful government spending and overregulation. The reality is that our regulatory system is what separates us from the citizens in China, where air pollution and lead poising are the norm and environmental problems corrode the quality of life in ways that we have not faced in decades."

We don't need more power for business, banks and oil companies. No More...their power is killing us!

Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're really into the thick of it if you know about Reagan's deals. The one to defend Saudi Arabia at all cost--even a 9/11--in exchange for the oil was the one that kind of gets to me: tdefending totalitarianism and torture instead of investing at home or in free economies.

1. lovemychris profile image79
        lovemychrisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, decades of it!~

and here's another Reagan goody they are repeating: 

"Bill O'Reilly calls me a communist for supportiing public investment in education and infrastructure. http://bit.ly/Jdvih7"

The commie label...red scare.....how many times does it make now??...and back to barefoot and pregnant....even though I think Nancy Reagan had quite the strong mind of her own.

Yes, I'd forgotten about Reagan acheiving fame as governor by attacking the University of California. But you got to admit, this idea of calling 80 members of Congress communists is a little outdated.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

In 1980, Carter had other democrats running against him.

I'd forgotten about Teddy Kennedy. Then there was John Anderson, the Independent candidate who drew off about 7% of the votes. IN 2012 we'll have American Express on the ballot in every state, and it'll draw off at least that much too.