jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Rules are meant to be broken

1. silverstararrow profile image86
    silverstararrowposted 4 years ago

Every rule, norm or law framed by the society or any law-making body has  repeatedly been broken time and again. There's the cliche` explanation of how rules and laws are meant to be broken. If so, why make them in the first place? From traffic rules to basic human rights, not a single area is free from the gimmicks of the rebellious.

Are rules really meant to be broken or is it just a flimsy, glamorous excuse for the rule breakers? What do you think?

1. autumn18 profile image70
      autumn18posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think rules are bound to be broken from big important ones to small insignificant ones. The cliche saying "rules are meant to be broken" is just that though. I'm pretty big on following rules and laws but even I can't say I never break them.

2. IsadorasThought profile image61
      IsadorasThoughtposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think I would need to understand your defnition of "rules" to answer this properly. Because if you mean the rules that I have made for myself (morals?), then I do not break them. If we talk about society "rules" (manners?social norms?), then I reckon I broke all of them at some point. Then you have legal rules, that well, I try not to break but I have crossed the street on a red light a couple of times. Are they "meant" to be broken? No, I dont think they are *designed* to be broken.

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Great topic!

If some people didn't break rules/laws think of all the industries they'd put out of business! Imagine no cops, no lawyers, no courtrooms, no prisons.
    The rebellious among us serve a useful purpose!
    Viva outlaws!
    Hoo haw!

3. chaturrajneesh profile image77
    chaturrajneeshposted 4 years ago

The existence of anything in this world is the result of the existence some thing just opposite to it. Confused............. Ok take it this way-  if there is a solution thought; there has to be a problem related to it. Just like existence of  a solution is worthless without the presence of a respective problem, Just like the existence of a light is worthless without the presence of darkness...RULES ARE ALSO worthless if there is no one to break them. Rules are made to stop rule breakers. No Rules breakers, no rules. It is as simple as that!!

4. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

Rules and Laws are just a matter of control. If a person is honest with themselves, then no rules or laws made by other people would have any affect or effect on the individual.

Why not? Because if a person is being honest with themselves, then they will set a standard for their own actions which would be superior to the rules or laws created by other people for control purposes.

5. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Plenty of people would not follow the rules like 'don't steal stuff' and 'don;t murder people'if they were not enforced.  In fact plenty try not to follow them even when they are. Mostly often for no good reason.

Rules are not intrinsically good or bad--it all depends on the outcome.