Express10 profile image 88

How to decline wedding invites from people I don't know without making up excuses (lies)?

I have been invited to weddings for people I don't know well and don't want to just ignore the invites or offer up a lie as an excuse. I have gone down this road before and out of a fear of offending them I went. My beau and I both don't drink and we don't dance and these things drag on and on for hours. What should I do if I simply don't want to go when we don't know either bride or groom well? Is there any way to be honest and not offend?

Best Answer P. Thorpe Christiansen (duffsmom) says

Suzie HQ profile image96

Suzanne Ridgeway (Suzie HQ) says

• Marsha Musselman1 profile image

Marsha Musselman (Marsha Musselman1) 3 years ago

Ahh, but if you are going to eat the food and cake then it's expected that you will give a gift as well. I would just send the RSVP back and say you are not attending. No explanation is necessary.

Marsha Musselman1 profile image79

Marsha Musselman (Marsha Musselman1) says

• Express10 profile image

Express10 3 years ago

I got that impression & I just felt very awkward as a result. I didn't know either of them very well. I think a time to get to know someone would be anywhere but a wedding. I think of that as a sacred time for close friends and family only.