philli profile image 89

What is the purpose of fasting (religious not dieting)? Have your ever done so? If so, describe.

What is the purpose of fasting (we're talking religion not dieting)? Please, if you have Biblical sources, list them. Have you ever fasted? If so, how (did you go water only, did you do it for 7 days, did you eat only veggies or just water/protein shakes)? After fasting, did you feel that it made an impact on your spiritual or personal life? I am very interested in this topic and look forward to hearing and learning more about it.

SidKemp profile image96

Best Answer Sid Kemp (SidKemp) says

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

Wow. Thank you for the thorough answer. I like the idea of the monofast. Seven days with only water seemed very daunting to me. I had read up on the starting and stopping and knew that I would have to stop over the course of a day or so, easing out.

renegadetory profile image93

renegadetory says

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

Thanks for your personal insight. I hadn't thought about using the fast as a time to forgive and start a clean slate. This is a great answer. Thanks so much!

backporchstories profile image83

backporchstories says

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

I could see how having fasted would give us a new appreciation for food. I know that the money spent on my food is hard-won but I often don't consider it once it is home and in the pantry. BTW, what does the Moon Dance entail?

Apostle Jack profile image59

Apostle Jack says

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

It's great that you use a daily fast as a reminder about your beliefs. I have never fasted food/water. I have given up something I enjoyed. I was addicted to soda and originally was supposed to give it up for a week, but I ended up doing it a year.

Shepherd 48 profile image61

Shepherd 48 says

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

WHEN you fast, not if...thanks for your contribution to this topic! I'm enjoying all of these enlightening answers.

Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image62

Eunice Stuhlhofer says

• philli profile image

philli 4 years ago

Thanks for the response. This week is a church wide fast where I worship...Our pastor left it open (do or don't...our choice). and gave us all packets of info. I think that the Daniel fast (veggies) appealed to me since I've never attempted a fast.