jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

The Universe and Reality

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 3 years ago

Aren't late night thoughts fun?  Preliminary thoughts

Anyway, on to the point.  Let's assume at the beginning of this discussion there is only "one universe," which happens to be the one humans currently inhabit.  This universe is all there is (physically speaking).  So, the universe would encompass all of physical reality; in fact, to speak more accurately, it would BE reality.  The universe is synonymous with reality.

From this, some strange implications follow.  For example, physicists tell us the universe is expanding, even at an accelerated rate!  This means that reality is also expanding.  If the oscillation model had been accurate, we could say reality would condense itself, and then expand itself again, forevermore.  Imagine such a conception of reality!

Philosophers and great thinkers conceptualize perspective as "expanding" or "limited", but this is more of a metaphorical sense, not a literal one.  What happens when we add multiple universes?

It wouldn't be accurate to speak of "multiple realities."  What would be accurate is a fundamental conceptual change in how we think of reality itself, and a change in the definition of a universe.  Before, we could simply define the universe as "total reality," but with multiple universes, that's no longer the case, especially when other universes are vastly different from our own.

A new definition of a universe and reality must fully capture modern scientific breakthroughs.  Perhaps it could be something such as, "an aspect of reality that contains planets, galaxies, stars, and is connected to a 'web' of universes."  Reality now is defined as an infinite (?) web of universes mysteriously connected.  Under this conception, human beings are not even blindly poking a part of the elephant; we are poking an infinitely large elephant that can never be scaled.

1. 0
      riddle666posted 3 years ago in reply to this

If we want to find out Himalayan Yeti, we first have to determine what an Yeti is. We simply can't go the Himalayas and declare the first animal we see as the Yeti.

2. pennyofheaven profile image82
    pennyofheavenposted 3 years ago

At the centre of which is only oneself and ones view from their little perch in the said multi-verses.

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I forgot I posted this discussion!  I was aiming for some dialogue and clarity, but no one responded, until now.

You're correct that we would be a speck inside of one universe, which was part of a universe ensemble.  Multiverse theory hasn't been completely accepted yet, so this discussion was all speculation.

But imagining we are on our little perch in a multiverse would be enough to give me extreme humility.

1. pennyofheaven profile image82
        pennyofheavenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Indeed, extremely humble!