Why did God make the Sun and Moon appear to be the same size ?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (71 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 11 years ago

It looks pretty and makes nice, perfect eclipses.

But what was God's purpose in doing this?

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol The moon is constantly moving away from the Earth, hence at one time there were no eclipses and that will occur again in the future. Hilarious.

janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see you have gas again today, I'm sorry.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps He just likes symmetry.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, I think He screwed up big time.

At around 1/2 a billion years old He figured out that another Venus was in the making; a planet with way too much air and thus far too hot for His children. 

So He smashed another planet into the earth, like a cue ball, at the right angle to make the moon and thus drag off much of the air.  (Sure wish I could see his cue stick!)

Unfortunately, He messed up again and put it too close, so then redesigned the laws of gravity so that tidal forces would both slow the earth's spin (also made incorrectly) and move the moon further away.  We DO need at least some air, after all, just not what Venus calls an atmosphere. In the process He set it up so that 21st century people could look at that great bauble in the sky and wonder why it's just the right size (at this moment in time) to cover the sun.

Unfortunately, He screwed the pooch again (He did that a lot in His creation); 21st century humanity understands enough of astrophysics to know it's just coincidence that the sizes of moon and sun match.  That it didn't a while back and won't in the future.

He would have been better off to match those sizes a few hundred years ago, when the flat earthers still had control.  Then, the obvious conclusion would be that God did it for them but now...now we know better.  It's just gravity and the coincidence of when we were born.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is the world revolving around you, yet again, wilderness?

Just kidding. None of that implies a screw up. It tells me a series of events could have been set in motion to arrive at a predetermined point, or it could all be a meaningless chain of events that randomly brought reality to this point, or there is a god who finds humor in screwing with our heads. There could also be a limitless number of reasons. Those three were simply the first to pop up.

1. wilderness profile image96

Naw - it should have been done right the first time, without playing pool with the solar system.  Obviously a screw up.

The humor I hadn't considered, but it would have been a lot funnier if that giant symbol of eros suddenly appeared in the night sky one evening.  Can you imagine the effect as it suddenly appeared over NYC?  It'd make the blackout results look like a chastity ball. smile

1. profile image0
              Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, they do like to say God is love, so that would play right into it.

3. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about put the coloring books away and pick up a book on astronomy and astrophysics and maybe that might help explain these things to you. Beware these science books use big words.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

The purpose of the moon is to intercept that inevitable, extremely large asteroid that is headed our way.

That is only a coincidence:)

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

haha

3. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 11 years ago

The Sun's diameter is 400 times bigger than the Moon"s, AND it is also 400 times further away.

What an amazing coincidence.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Timing is everything... Us USA folks are going to miss it, but the website will show us. smile

http://www.space.com/20768-april-full-m … lipse.html

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a pretty cool coincidence, never really thought about it before!

It is super cool.

I don't think it's a coincidence though.

3. profile image0

That's awesome. smile

4. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

Just give it a couple thousand years. Then the eclipse will make a halo!

Yes, yes, yes

We just happen to be here right NOW when the sun and moon are where they are so perfectly.

Coincidence of course.

1. Tealparadise profile image82
        Tealparadiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well the moon controls and affects many things in our environment, such as tides of the ocean.  Same with the sun and seasons etc.  So I wouldn't call it coincidence, I would say that we are only able to survive within this range.

2. wilderness profile image96

It happens to be that right now, yes. 

It wasn't that way when Adam was created, when Moses walked the earth or when Jesus was here, and it won't be that way when he returns. 

Coincidence of course.

2. jenb0128 profile image89
      jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, we often get halo eclipses already (there was one last May that was visible in Asia and parts of western North America). They're called annular eclipses, and they are quite beautiful. In my opinion, they're even prettier than a total eclipse. The eclipse coming up next month will also be an annular eclipse, though as has already been pointed out, it won't be visible anywhere around here.

The reason we sometimes have total eclipses and sometimes annular eclipses is because the distance between the moon and the earth isn't always exactly the same.

5. Tealparadise profile image82
    Tealparadiseposted 11 years ago

Huh?  The appearance of the size of the moon varies daily.... doesn't it?  What?  Did I imagine that?

I'm pretty sure I didn't.  Some days the moon looks quite large and others it seems smaller....

Also the Earth's path around the sun is not a perfect circle, varying by millions of miles within a year if I remember correctly.  So, though I don't stare at the sun I am pretty sure its size varies as well.

This topic is baffling me.

1. jenb0128 profile image89
      jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are correct. The moon's orbit is not a perfect circle. It's more elliptical. This means it's sometimes closer than other times, which is why the sun and moon don't line up perfectly each time there's an eclipse. That's why some eclipses are annular and we see a halo or ring around the moon. Also, the moon's orbit is inclined, which varies things up a bit more (and is why we don't have an eclipse every month).

6. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Maybe it was done so that you could  have something to wonder in awe about.

I'm not being flippant. Maybe the progression of history was designed so that, as we became more and more advanced, there would always be one more thing do sit back and say 'Hmm, why that?' about.

Or, it could simply be that you are seeing wonder where none exists.

7. tacticallight profile image60
    tacticallightposted 11 years ago

Is this a serious question?

Do you have any science background at all?

1. profile image0

I love it when ppl join HP's, write a couple of articles, follow no one, are followed by no one, and still manage to find their way to the forums just in time to mock someone with differing beliefs. It took me a full day just to sign up, but then I don't have a huge science background either.

1. JMcFarland profile image70
        JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love it when other people find these posts and use ad-hominem attacks against the person that they're criticizing for criticizing another person's beliefs (which are not above criticism at all) instead of actually responding to the post at hand.

1. profile image0

I love it when another hubber comes along to criticism someone for criticizing someone who...
          Hi JM!

always a pleasure, beth.

1. profile image0

Did you want to comment on the subject or just critique my comments to other ppl?

I would love to comment on the actual subject.

I feel no need to assume that god created the sun and the moon at all, and the human inclination to see patterns everywhere, even in randomness, is a fundamental aspect of the human mind that is beautiful and unique.

1. profile image0

I had commented twice on the first page. Im glad you have joined the conversation.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

That would be a pleasant change.

2. tacticallight profile image60
        tacticallightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh shit, I started a religion argument.  Not what I meant.  have you ever gone outside when the moon is closest to the earth?  It is F-in huge!
        http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&g … 4QTV6YCACw

I am not questioning your religious beliefs, but rather your observational skills.

1. profile image0

LOL... no you didn't... it's the debate that never seems to end around here. You're good. smile

2. janesix profile image59

Not really.

However, I have intelligence and special powers called "observation" and "the ability to research and read".

I also have direct knowlege of certain things from God himself.

can you prove that you have "direct knowledge and special revelation" from god himself?  Every time I've seen someone question you on this, you simply tell them that god does not do parlor tricks to be able to prove it to them.  It seems like a convenient excuse.

Nope, can't prove a thing.

Ask God if you want proof, he'll give you plenty.

I did.  In the 20+ something years I was a christian and a missionary.  I asked him again as I started questioning whether or not he existed at all.  All he gave me was silence.

You aren't going to find God in a church.

I didn't spend 24 hours a day 7 days a week in a church.

2. profile image0

Why does she have to give you proof?

because she is claiming to have direct, special revelation from god.  If that is true, then it should be demonstrable.  If she were not claiming to have this revelation, she would not be expected to provide evidence for it.

1. profile image0

So what? This isn't a court of law. This is a discussion about the sun and the moon. Why can't she share her personal experience without you questioning her honesty?

I didn't question her honesty, I asked her if she had any proof to back up her supernatural claims.  I don't know her (or you for that matter) from Adam.  You're strangers on the internet - and as strangers, I feel no compulsion to accept things that people say on "faith".  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  That's the way things work.  If you're claiming to communicate with god and receive special revelation from him, there should be evidence.  Without evidence, there is no reason to accept these things at face value.

Think about it this way.  If I told you that I had a dog, you would probably believe me.  Why?  Because it's not abnormal to have a dog.  Many people do.  Therefore, little evidence may be required.  If you visited my home, however, and you saw no dog bowl, no water dish, no toys, no noise, no fur or anything else, you may start to question my claim.  If, however, I claimed to have a herd of fairies living in my garage, you're not likely to believe me.  Why?  Because it's a more unusual claim.  You would want some evidence that what I said was true before simply, blindly believing me - especially since I'm a complete stranger, and you know nothing about me aside from what I've told you.

1. profile image0

Ludicrous, she owes you nothing. When a person speaks on faith, that *is normal. You don't have to believe it for it to be a norm in society.

Think of it this way... you said you were saved at one point and you felt several of the ppl questioned whether or not you were actually saved. You seemed incensed about that... that ppl who didn't even know you would question your personal experiences... yet you do the same thing with this woman. I can't fathom that a woman can't speak of God without a total stranger coming up to her and saying "prove it." The gall it takes to come up with a demand like that is beyond me. Simple manners seem to disappear.

I didn't say she "owed" me anything.  She claimed supernatural experiences, and if you're going to make a claim like that, you should expect to be asked for evidence.  I don't understand how you seem incapable of fathoming that.  She certainly doesn't owe me evidence (or anything for that matter) but without it, you should not expect a complete stranger to believe your supernatural claims at all.  Are you so gullible that you just believe anything that anyone tells you - or do you only believe claims about god?

2. janesix profile image59

What kind of "evidence" should I provide for you?

I only have to look around at how the universe is put together to see evidence of God.

If you want to find God, there are plenty of ways. I suggest meditation for starters.

I look at the universe, and I see no proof for god at all.  I don't understand how looking at the universe, the earth, a tree, the sky or anything else provides proof for god.  We live in a wonderful world - there's no need to attribute its beauty and its majesty to anything other than the universe itself.

Sorry, but there isn't a shred of evidence for your God having done anything. Of course, you have not provided anything to support your claim of looking around the universe and seeing how it's put together. What is you see that shows your God?

Scientists have been observing the universe a long time and have never found evidence for any gods, and in fact, see plenty of evidence showing the universe came about entirely on it's own, no gods required.

Simple, her claims about the sun and moon are based on ignorance and others are attempting to cure the ignorance by offering facts.

1. profile image0

Says you.

Simple, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

lol It would appear God didn't graduate high school.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)