The Believer and The Understander

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (28 posts)
  1. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 10 years ago

How many agree with Eric that the term "Understander" can be applied to those who don't hold beliefs but instead, understand things?

For example:

"I believe in evolution"

"I understand evolution"

One can believe in evolution but have no understanding of it, while another can understand evolution without having to believe in it.

In other words, the understanding of something would replace the belief.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

where's the thread?

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hmm. If it makes you feel good to believe you have an understanding, I say do it.

A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Reading comprehension issues, again.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We know you have reading comprehension issues. No need to point it out at every turn.

3. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Our beliefs (or lack thereof) are often forged by our understanding of the world around us as well as things that are presented to us

Actually, it is the lack of understanding that forges the beliefs. If believers had an understanding of the world around them, they wouldn't hold their beliefs. Things are presented to believers, but they don't understand them.

4. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  Being diametrically opposed on most issues in these forums it is rare indeed that you and I could find a phrase which we would both claim to describe our views, even though, here too, we disagree.  Here is the statement that, based on what you have said, I would think you accept, and so do I:  "I don't believe in evolution, I understand evolution." 

Now I realize that evolution is such a critical cornerstone doctrine of Scientism, anyone not accepting and believing in it is told by those who do believe, (even if they refuse to call it belief), that they don't understand evolution.  We are told we are uneducated and ignorant of science. Unfounded assumptions that fit an ideology which espouses the only possible reason anyone would reject this doctrine is because they don't understand it, or science. 

Oh well.  At least we have a phrase to agree on, even if when you say it you deny belief, claiming understanding replaces belief, while I say I don't believe in evolution because I understand it.

Exactly. Hence, you hold beliefs rather than understanding.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

haha
          you do misunderstand!

2. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But then what is stoping you from understanding that evolution is real, your beliefs perhaps?

Evolution for me anyway was not a cornerstone for my atheism. The atheism came before I understood evolution as I began to understand how silly the notion of God was I began to understand there was no God.

2. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 10 years ago

A Troubled Man  wrote
    How many agree with Eric that the term "Understander" can be applied to those who don't hold beliefs but instead, understand things?
    ==============

me ..   Do you agree that you "Believe" that you understand.   
    and that there is a difference in believing you understand and actually understanding ?   
    No there isn't!

I don't need to believe I have an understanding if I have an understanding.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I understand that you have understanding.   OR ..
        do I only believe I understand that you have understanding

Come to think about it ???   I'm not sure if you understand or only believe that you do.

I know that I believe I understand these things that I understand,   BUT is our understanding really all that we believe it is?

Sometimes when we understand just a little bit more, we discover we never understood at all.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
          Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

and who/what is doing all this understanding and believing?

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

This is a well thought out thesis, Rad Man. I appreciate it, if no one else does.
    Questions for you:
    1. Over time, did you drift to the understanding that the notion of God is silly?
    2. Then one day, did you leap to the understanding that there is no God?
    3. What was the mental process that you and your brain used?
    4. Or, was it just your brain?
    5. If belief is not founded on a logical mental/ brain/ thinking process, what prompts belief?
    6. What prompts understanding?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

1. Yes. Just like the notion that Peter Pan exists.
      2. It was not a leap and was not something I wanted. I wanted a sky daddy and eternal life, but I also wanted the truth.
      3. I can not be separated from my brain. I don't exist without it. This is a proven fact. When the brain is shut down so is thought and consciousness.
      4. Again, no thought can happen without the brain.
      5. The evolutionary process has brought us to this point. The superego and the ID make demands on the ego and the ego decides when to give into the demands. What happens when the ID finds a way of tricking the ego into doing what it asks? I think the superego creates a representation of a God and tells the ego what God demands of it as a way of getting what it wants.
      6 Education and thought prompts understanding.

@ Rad Man:
        (Thank you for answering for ATM. I assume he does not mind at all.) The ID and the Ego both refer to *self *
        But, is *self* the same as * soul?*
        ... or is *soul* a non-word/reality to you?( Either of You?)

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image75

EDIT I meant to address ATM as far as the thesis of the original post. Rad man answered nicely, however. What would ATM answer?  Will we ever know?

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago
  5. Jerami profile image58

Sorry  Kathryn...  had to go to work.   
      Who is doing all of this understanding ??   
    The way I understand it (?)  ATM  believes that he is doing ALL of the understanding there is to do, cause, according to him,   ... none of the rest of us are capable of understanding that he has all of the understanding there is to have.   Or at least that is what understanding understanding to be (?) but what do I know ?

... Yes, *his brain* is doing ALL the understanding for us.  He must be a  computerized automaton! Why that explains everything! How dare we contradict the ATM Brain!
      No more. I have definitely seen the light. And I must be just like him.
      So It shall be.

...could some one please wind me up?
      or turn me on?
      a simple push of the button will do.

You're also not understanding what I'm trying to say, Kathryn. Like Jerami, you simply need to use your brain to think and understand how things work rather than just blindly believing in things. That's the point.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

No Jerami, that is not what I'm saying, you don't seem to "understand".

Yes, you are not capable of understanding until you begin to shed some of your irrational beliefs about the world around you. Believing something works a certain way does not mean you understand it works a certain way.

6. Jerami profile image58

No more. I have definitely seen the light. And I must be just like him.
    So It shall be.

===================

I too have seen the light,  BUtttt    I'll not go into this one unless someone makes that choice for me.   And gives me a push.

ATM can be "special" alone

No, even if someone makes that choice for you and gives you a push, I predict you would resist that light.  Suit yerself!  Me? I will go with the ATM Brain...
      Not Really...as it would be impossible.

Thinking is not impossible, Kathryn, try it sometime.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

I am not special nor am I alone, Jerami. Many others can think, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)