jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Is there Freedom of Choice in Religion?

1. Percysk profile image60
    Percyskposted 2 years ago

I've found myself in and out of faith due to my sense of logic. What really confuses me is the "free choice" part. According to Christianity you have to choose God if you want a pleasant afterlife, so it seems more like blackmail doesn't it? I respect all religions but I don't see the point.

1. kschang profile image90
      kschangposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There are two kinds of religious compulsions: they compel you via love, or they compel you via fear. Or to put it even more plainly, carrot and the stick.
      Perhaps you're thinking too much. Religion is about faith, not logic.

Percyskposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is a very good point. So it depends on how you choose to see it? I know there is no place for logic when it comes to faith, but the human condition of completing the picture keeps my mind working:)

2. 0
      Rad Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

One can never think to much. If a religion requires you to shut off your brain that should be a red flag.

I tend to think of Christianity as extortionists. Do and think as I do or the other guy will burn you in hell. They tend to say they are just the messenger, but that's still participating in extortion.

But blackmail works as well, if you do as I do and say you will get eternal life.

I wonder where the mafia got the idea?

Percyskposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's exactly my point. There is some measure of force in the decision you have to make. Would you rather burn in hell or go to heavan? It's not much of a choice.

Like I said I respect all religions, but there always seems to be some sort of condition linked to the situation. For instance in Christianity you have to be hot or cold, and yet this is a religion that promotes apartheid.

I prefer to stick with my own bad logic.

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
          Disappearingheadposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Christianity is a fear based religion despite protestations from its adherents that it's all about love. I'm convinced that Christianity today is largely a man made fabrication and the notions on the nature of God must be too as there can be no other explanation for the carrot and stick philosophy at the religion's core.

2. Percysk profile image60

Well said. I firmly believe religion is man made in order to control the masses. So many wars has been started because of a belief system that's supposed to be very basic.  If religion is indeed so basic and straightforward why are there hundreds of variations to choose from?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Because there is little to no discernible truth in religious systems, everyone is not only free but required to design a system that they like; that works withing their wants and desires.

As everyone has different wants and desires, the inevitable result is hundreds of variations to choose from.

3. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 2 years ago

Because human beings rage against simplicity-basic and straightforward isn't enough for us.  We insist on complicating everything.

4. Percysk profile image60

If only the freedom to decide didn't lead to disputes amongst people who ultimately bow down to the same God.