jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Internal Guru v/s external Guru

1. santhip profile image59
    santhipposted 6 years ago

I believe that you need an external guru to really progress towards realization. Check out my hub

http://hubpages.com/hub/Internal-guru-a … ernal-guru

1. 67
      paarsurreyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi friend santhip

What is a guru? Please

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

santhipposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Ahmadi ( don't know if it is your name or if its a muslim sect )

Guru is a human being who has attained realization ( or in muslim lingo, has totally dissolved in allah, the creator ), and can guide others to attain realization ( being one with allah), which is our true nature in the end.

There is a quote by a sufi mystic: When I am .. god is not ;  When I am NOT.. god IS ...

HOpe that helped you understand what a guru is, and what the function of a guru is

Thank you for your question
        --
        Santhip

2. alternate poet profile image78
    alternate poetposted 6 years ago

I am not going to check out your hub but you are definately right - it is not possible to attain any higher level of enlightenment on your own - the various moments of realisation must be tested and opened fully with help from outside.

This is why people who sit at home studying get it so wrong and end up terminally confused. It is ok walking the walk but you need someone to keep you on the path through the confusion.

I agree with you totally. So many try to seek the truth on their own, only to get confused by their own lies.

3. 0
    philip carey 61posted 6 years ago

I tend to agree, although the great Advaita teacher Nisargadatta Maharaj said that the "guru is within". His conversations with seekers are documented in a classic book called, "I Am That".

HI Philip,

I never read Nisargatta Maharaj's work. My hub deals with this exact point of how "guru is within" is confusing. The guru is definitely within. But one should  also be open up to the possibility of the external guru being the same internal guru which is within.

--
      Santhip

working