jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

What do christians mean when they talk about their heart?

1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 6 years ago

eg "accept Jesus into my heart"; "what a man thinks with his heart..."  "I know in my heart it's true" etc etc

I read somewhere that people used to think the heart was where their thoughts and feelings were (until they worked out it was actually the brain)

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I consider the "heart" of a person to be who they are at the core, their soul.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

but animals like cats and dogs have souls too?  what do you define the soul as?

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
          h.a.borcichposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Bailey,

That one I don't know smile I like to think they do. I think the soul is our spirit, the essence of who we are. Holly

2. anime_nanet profile image59
      anime_nanetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Since they don't have a brain it makes sense to talk of their heart

3. tpletch profile image60
      tpletchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The heart is actually what motivates a person.  What the most important item in thei life is.

4. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

True. The heart is just another organ in the body providing a function, to pump blood.

Thoughts and feelings are centered in the brain, which makes us who we are. Spirits and souls are just superstitious nonsense. smile

5. vox vocis profile image92
      vox vocisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The mind is in the brain, I know it, cause I feel my thoughts are coming from my head. I act the way I think, and the consequences of my thinking and acting pile up in my heart or my soul, it's the same. My soul is what I am. When it deeply hurts, I feel great burden, like a pressure or a strange pain, right around my heart. When I was little, people used to ask me what's the yellow thing I drew around the heart on people's bodies. My answer was: it's the soul. I've heard about it when I was little, nobody knew how to explain what the soul was to such a small child, but I felt, therefore, knew the truth.

1. Beelzedad profile image60
        Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

All you are describing is the brain releasing chemicals into the body that make you feel that way. It is a completely physical response that is well understood. Nothing to do with souls. smile

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

I believe the "heart" (not the bodily organ, but the intangible heart) is where we have free will (conscience)...

That's not the brain.  The brain, I think, is unfeeling, actually, unless connected to the "heart".....

3. srwnson profile image60
    srwnsonposted 6 years ago

The heart provides the life force of the human body. Blood is used in the bible often to signify life. Keep Christ in your heart and mind.

God bless those who pray for blessing.

4. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

And some people don't "have a heart", so they talk only of their brains.   Point proven, that the brain must be connected to the heart in order to exhibit feelings based on conscience.

1. anime_nanet profile image59

Oh you actually replied. I'm impressed.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Me in particular?
        Or were you just trying to get a response from anyone or everyone?

1. anime_nanet profile image59

Now i got it!

5. kess profile image60
    kessposted 6 years ago

The heart is the seat of a person's desire.
    From these desires. a mindset or a way of thinking develops.
    This particular way of thinking or mindset ultimately drives all actions.

Which in turn make the person.

"Accepting Jesus into your heart" is based on much ignorance of the teachings of Jesus the Christ.

You see they can only relate to the historic physical human person. so to place this physical into an intangible heart, they must first transform him into some a bit more intangible.

Thus they have their scripture , whom they claim is Jesus Christ as it is labelled their "word of God".

Now they have the perfect Saviour, who is a mixture of tagibility intangibility. A tangible book , with intangible Ideas.

Now you can place Jesus Christ into your heart by reading meditating, praying exhorting the bible.

Nevertheless this is still Idolatry because their god is still the work of men hands.

working