jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

Church of Turkey

1. alternate poet profile image78
    alternate poetposted 6 years ago

Does anyone here know of this church - or remember it ?

I was a practicing member of this church for nearly eight years and still consider myself a devout and diligent follower.

1. 61
      Sword of Fireposted 6 years ago in reply to this

USA celebrates Turkey Day. It's not areligion though. smile

2. 0
      Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

church of turkeys - bound to be lots of those

2. chinweike profile image46
    chinweikeposted 6 years ago

Tell us about it as it is obvious we don't know

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

A member for 8 yrs and ya have no contacts?
    Maybe its flown the coop  hmm

alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No - it is definately alive and well and I am hoping somebody here on hubpages will remember it and respond here.

Not all churches proselytize and indoctrinate their kids into their beliefs,  this church served a serious purpose and when that purpose was overcome it had no further need to exist as a body.  Shame all the many thousands of ohter churches did nto do the same when their beliefs were found to be nonsense, or the opposition that caused them to rise up had been overcome.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

How was their purpose overcome ,I wonder? since any Church (majority) purpose is to care for one another, and a good church would be outreaching to its community too.

With the doctrines you describe ,the Church of Turkey sounds more like a club and I guess its members moved on, or the basis of their convictions dissolved.

I suggest a Google search would be more effective.

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=64882

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

interesting article Eagle

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thankyou smile

2. alternate poet profile image78

NO - this an ARMENIAN church that happens to be in Turkey, though a multidenominational church sounds a better bet than a money collecting pile of white concrete in Arizona.

THE church of Turkey was something quite different and unique - and its sole purpose was to care for one another.  The circumstances that led to its formation were overcome and so the church ceased to have its primary purpose and so dissolved naturally.  The underpinning ideals are still relevant however and it would resurrect if circumstances arose again - like any true defender of liberty.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
        dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I do not know of this church, but would be very interested in it, to find out about it I mean; interesting

If nobody else in the forums knows of it I will be gald to enlighten you smile  I am rather hoping that other past members might remeber it first.

5. 0
    china manposted 6 years ago

I lost this thread due to the demise of AP - does anyone out there remember the Church of Turkey ´╝čIf not I will provide enlightmenment smile

1. earnestshub profile image86
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Please do. smile I have not heard of it either.

6. 0
    china manposted 6 years ago

In the 50's and 60's in the Royal Navy anyone was excused duties to attend the church of their choice - Church of Turkey was the 'officially' recognised escape route to the pub big_smile

The 'denomination' was recognised in the book and the whole performance of registering and granting the requisite leave pass always carried out with a perfectly straight face.

1. earnestshub profile image86
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well done China Man!
      That would have been my choice of churches! lol

1. 0
        china manposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It was such a widespread 'church' that I am surprised that no-one in the forums remembers it !

working