Ophiuchus

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (44 posts)
  1. travel_man1971 profile image63
    travel_man1971posted 13 years ago

The 13th zodiac sign, Ophiuchus is now incorporated, again, on the Daily Horoscope. Its exclusion during the Babylonian era was because of its number connotation as unlucky one. The seeker of peace, it is located at the constellation between Scorpius to the west and Sagittarius to the west. We can observe its appearance during summer at the norther hemisphere with our naked eyes. The most prominent star which belongs to the constellation is the Ophiuchi, revealing scientific discoveries since the 60s, like Keppler's supernova, the 2005 superbubble and the presence of the clouds of molecular oxygen in space.
    Two days ago (Jan.14, 2010) astronomer Parke Kunkle of Minnesota, USA revelaed in public about the sudden Earth's change or the wobble of the planet on its axis that displaced the Sun (in effect) on its normal position.
    The one-month bump away from the sun paved the way for the astrologers to add Ophiuchus this year.
    In relations with humans, Horoscopic astrology is being embraced by this world since the Hellenistic Egypt, circa 1st century BC.
    The effects on the planet are drastic,such as floods, like what happened to Asutralia, Brazil, Pakistan and some parts of the Philippines.

1. SylviaSky profile image93
      SylviaSkyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is incorrect. There is no new Zodiac sign. Astrologers are not adding Ophiuchus as the 13th zodiac sign. At most, a bit of the constellation Ophiuchus touches on the edge of the zodiac band, and the Sun does not pass through it at all.

The Earth has always wobbled on its axis because it is not perfectly spherical, but a little thick through the middle, and the wobble has nothing to do with mankind or current events.

Constellations do not cause natural disasters.

Astrology predates Hellenistic Egypt and in fact goes back to the Babylonians.

1. Jewels profile image83
        Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The wobble does however effect where the Sun is in relation to the system of Tropical and Sidereal Astrology - close to a 23 degree difference which means peoples Zodiac signs are likely to be different to what they think they are.  One only has to look into the sky to see Sidereal is more accurate.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One only has to look into science to see that astrology is pure bunkum. smile

1. Jewels profile image83
            Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Morning Beelzedad!  And of course Plato, Socrates, Heindel and Steiner are all idiots.
            And the world knows science does not have all the answers, thank goodness we don't rely on it totally for our peace of mind.

I never said that.

Science most certainly has enough answers to understand astrology is complete rubbish. smile

2. spookyfox profile image60
              spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is so annoying. Why should science, or anything for that matter, have all the answers? On that basis you should reject any form of knowledge or method to obtain it.

And you don't need science to know astrology is the same as any other ancient belief previously used to find purpose, now used to make money.

2. travel_man1971 profile image63
        travel_man1971posted 13 years agoin reply to this

They added it now here in the Philippines. Local Horoscope astrologers said thet it was effective since 2009 but the media only dabbled on it in public this 2011.

3. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gravitational forces within a planetary system has to have an effect. You are saying the moon doesn't affect the tides, it also creates the bulge, and our rotational pattern is prone to "eccentricities" caused by earth bound and spacebound forces.

I would agree what you say about the moon. However, due to it's close relative proximity to earth compared to any other object in the solar system is the reason those effects are present. And, those effects are tidal forces between the moon and earth and have little or no effect on us as individuals. Are you able to feel the moons gravity in any way?

Gravity gets weaker with distance as such that if you double the distance, the gravitational field is weaker by a factor of four. Hence, even the closest planets in the solar system are so far away from earth as to have less gravitational effect than the gravitational field of a person standing next to you. smile

1. profile image52
            deviantLeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

your arrogance to dismiss astrology is quite amusing. your attempt to convey your misinformed facts is even more amusing. the fact that you do or do not agree is irrelevant. it has no affect whatsoever on truth and fact. it simply reinforces the ego that the "all knowing" seem to cling to. some things are just bigger than us or our complete grasp of understanding. the nieveity  of humans, and their willingness to elaborate complete denial of our great universe and its many awe and dumbfounding truths, is exactly the drive that compells me to believe all the greatness, and mysteries. i have to believe that the uneducated, and unwilling to expand the possibilities, that humans aren't the grand of all knowledge. we are simply students on a life long study to learn. expand knowledge. expand our minds, accept that our "impossibilities" may after all not be so impossible. only unconquered. it is people like you that reinforce my faith, that there indeed is so much more out there that is greater, smarter, and even possible. if we are in fact a huge percent of water as our physical make-up, how you can even argue the affect the moon, and all the astrological placements and alignments, dont "really" have significant physical, and emotional affects, is truly damn funny. the ocean is  much more massive in volume than our bodies. and it is a puppet of the moons. your saying we have the ability to defy the effects that are so strong they control and  dictate our water massses. oh ye of closed minds. you should truly close your mouth and educate yourself.  your uneducated opinions mean nothing to the universe, nor to those of us, that believe, educate ourselves, and have absolute faith that there is so much more out there than our arrogant government. if you are as wise as it gets, god damn that is dis-heartening. i choose to believe in what i cant see, rather than be repressed to think this is as good as it gets. so, thank you for your  willingness to show your human ego, and close mind. you have once again renewed my faith, that i am right. we know nothing!!! learn a little, then open your misguided mouth , maybe some intelligence will surface. you can always hope!

Not half as amusing as the ignorance of those who claim astrology is valid.

Well, thanks for the word salad. Is there some point in there other than the fact you feel superior to everyone?

So, the more of reality that is exposed to you, the farther you slip away into delusion? That's nothing new.

It may be damn funny, but that's reality for ya. I suspect you aren't familiar with the actual effects as opposed to the mystical and mysterious effects believers in astrology conjure from their imaginations.

LOL! The effect you refer to is gravity, or tidal forces in the case of the earth and moon. Are you saying that the moons gravity has some effect on us, an effect that overwhelms the force of earths gravity? lol

I am so sorry that I don't share your delusion, my deepest apologies.

Welcome then, this forum is full of such people.

Wonderful. Too bad you actually didn't explain anything about Astrology. Nada. Nothing. Zilch.

All you managed to muster is a lot of pointless gibberish and faith based nonsense.

So, try to explain then, what effects exactly you refer, and then explain how they can affect us, what physical attributes and characteristics of the human body are affected. Please provide substantiating physics mathematics and biological reports on the findings?

Haven't got it, why am I not surprised? lol

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
              Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now wait...whose ego and arrogance?

Beelzedad states things rather matter-of-factly compared to what I read from you. It seems your words are filled with all kinds of emotional upheaval, arrogance and ego. Very odd. Pot/kettle...

But moving on...
              I don't know what to really believe in regard to science/belief/astrology. All I know is that the universe is pretty amazing and is very much "alive." The rest is simply unknown to me. According to newest info, I'm now under Ophiucus' spell, and after reading the general description, I find it suits my personality quite well. Although the idiotic propensity to wear plaid, as it claims, is about as far from anything I would do that I can imagine.

I guess, at best, astrology is amusing to me, and coincidentally, possibly true...sometimes. As I've read daily horoscopes off and on for a while to see if it might apply, I find that most of the time it's just bewilderingly far from reality for me. Everything from how wound up and stressed out I am during times of perfect calm, to expecting my soul-mate to arrive and propose, while I'm very happily single. And yet there are times when it seems to hit the mark, so at best all I can believe is that it's like going to a palm reader who is so general in her descriptions that they could apply to anyone.

I'm as much a believer in astrology as I am of a Christian God. Still doesn't add up, but some aspects seem plausible. (And I was a devout Christian for nearly 5 decades.)

2. angelheart1 profile image53
            angelheart1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to see things black or white ,there is a lot of grey area's in
            this life ,i see that there are a lot of pro and cons about astrology and the paranormal ,its also because religion tells us what to believe or not !
            so lets think beside the box and try to be openminded. There is proof that the planets have certain influence on us human beings like Mercurius is the planet of communications issues about our way of communicating with eachother or even the thelephone or internet have a connection with all this energy we receive and can feel only if you are not afraid to feel and sense ...
            I wish you all the best and its quite fun to see how everyone is passionate about their own vieuw on these things ,lots of love and blessings for everyone.Layla angelheart

2. Owl Ka Myst profile image60
          Owl Ka Mystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Forget gravity, try plasma energy and magnetic fields.

2. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Travel:
      Study the subject "precession."
      Qwark

. Thanks for the tip, Qwark.
        Those who are interested in Astrology, precession is one of the mechanics of the solar system. It is related to Pi and the geometry of a circle.
        The difference between the mean solar day and precession of the sidereal "what's real" time is 3.14 seconds of time per day. Pi seconds per day is about 22.9 hours in 72 years or approximately 1 degree of arc. So precession is approximately 1 degree in 72 years.
        Precession is the gradual backward movement of the outer visible universe and is used to determine the Astrological Age which we are in.
        An astrological Age is the amount of time that it takes for the Sun to move "backwards"  throughout one complete astrological sign, hence:
        72 years x 30 degrees = 2160 years is the length of an Astrological Age.
        The Venral (Spring) Equinox of the Sun happened 3,000 years ago, at the Age of Aries, The Great Age of Egyptian Empire. We are now at the Age of Pisces ( a consensus belief).
        Meanwhile, the present estimation of the length of the year is 365 1/4 days, less than the length of "Sidereal Cycle" by approximately 20 minutes.
        Orbital Variance is caused by precession and global warming.
        And Ophiuchus? Modern scientists are amazed of the evidences it reveals...clouds of oxygen molecules in space, among others.

1. qwark profile image59
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Precession is nothing but the 26 - 30 wobble of the earth on it's axis which has caused varying changes in earths atmosphere for as long as the earth has existed....period! smile:
          Qwark

3. Mrs. J. B. profile image59
      Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This was very educational. Thanks

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Yes, and the Healer!!
    This is wonderful news for us weirdo's, who now have a home!!

Planet is Uranus, planet of change and transformation. Not Jupiter.....
    And Jupiter is an awesome planet.

3. lovemychris profile image76

ps; the hotel where I work does not have a room #13!

They intentionally ommit #13 as it connotes danger or the unlucky number. Most hotels are.

4. travel_man1971 profile image63
    travel_man1971posted 13 years ago

@lovemychris: Ophiuchus is the symbol for the Healer, Asclepius in Greek mythology who discovered the healing power of herbs when two snakes fought, as the tale revealed. And how to defy death during those mythical times.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, everyone has said I'm a textbook Scorpio. How do I justify that to my newly acquired Libra characteristics. The clothes don't quite fit! smile

5. lovemychris profile image76

It all depends on how you experience life. I for one, totally believe that the planets have an effect on us.
    I also belive we reflect the traits of the sign we are in at the moment.
    As we are leaving Pisces and going into Aquaruius, it is end of a certain way of being and the beginning of a new one.

Science is much more metaphysical than you like to admit!!!

String theory...11 dimensions....parrallel universes....quantum physics....it's all awe-inspiring! And mysterious.

What effect, exactly?

Not according to science or scientists.

Mysterious, maybe... metaphysical, not. smile

1. Owl Ka Myst profile image60

Regardless of what I say, Bee, you probably won't change your mind. I would wager that you probably have some heavy 'fixed sign' action going on in your chart.
        However, I have read old and new books and articles that say differently.
        And some scientists do study astrology.
        I have a book published in the 60's that shares a few scientific workings with astrology. One study was done with earthquakes and provided some very interesting analysis.

The trouble with what people think about science is that somehow they feel science is some absolute where a scientist will tell you, 'there are no absolutes'.

What books and articles?

What scientists?

Ah, a book of fiction, no less.

Who are those people? I've never heard anyone who knows science to ever state absolutes. smile

I said 'people' think science is some absolute - people meaning non-scientists.

Ptolemy, Kepler, Jung, J. C. Lilly, Paul Sanders, Dr. Mitchell E. Gibson....
            I could go on, but you are a bit closed-minded and condescending so any more I say is just a waste of time.

Then, we can conclude the non-scientists who are opining about science really don't know what they're talking about. This forum is full of those people.

Seems the waste of time is in your post content, or lack thereof. smile

2. RDSPhD profile image60
        RDSPhDposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha Hawking, Veneziano, Green, Schwarz and countless other brilliant minds of our century worked day and night thinking about "stuff" like why gravity is the weakest of the 4 forces and calculating their fingers bloody trying to prove the relation of black holes to quantum mechanics and their thermodynamical properties, [I could now start talking about countless other achievements but I stay with the most popularly known ones wink] they brought us closer to a working theory of every thing than anything before (of course Einstein started all of this, years after lord kelvin said, that there would be nothing new to discover in Physics xD). If some of the projects at Cern could actually prove it, it would no longer be mysterious and not only working out on paper. But they're already making a huge progress and the experiments are clearly starting to be a success. (A shame though that you're not allowed to talk about any results :S but well the nations financing it want to benefit first wink)

I cannot believe how people talk about science "not finding answers", well but asking your god/gods or looking at planetary constellations makes you wiser then?? I have nothing against astrology or religion, as long as they don't want to tell me that science is wrong or "possessed by satan", or humbug - trust me heard aaaall that before, dozens of time. And some people say humanity has actually evolved xD. We're all looking for answers, there's really no problem with that, but we should at least play nice and not rant about the way others may be looking for answers...

6. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

I fully reject the concept of this Ophiuchus thing which has moved my zodiac placement to a different and less desirable sign. I liked it much better when the heathens refered to me as an "Aries".

I'm an Aries, too. But with Ophiuchus' presence on the Zodiac, I am now a Pisces. It doesn't matter. I'll continue living and practice positive thinking and actions among my peers.

7. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

The Ophiuchus Zodiac Sign is the mark of a special and unique person, The 13th and Best Sign of The Zodiac . .

About one person in twenty is an "Ophiuchus," but few of them know it.

Are you one of them?
    Proud to be Ophiuchus

If it was a part of the zodiac, it would technically be the 10th sign.
      big_smile

1. wavegirl22 profile image47
        wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

And what universe are you orbiting around?

The one where Aries is the first sign and Pisces is the last sign of the Zodiac.
          So where does that put Ophiuchus?

8. lovemychris profile image76

It's interesting that what led me to investigate Ophiuchus was an astronomy professor, who thought astrology was bunk!
    But he mentioned it anyway, in class....cool guy!

And Ophiucus is associated with the "end-times"...end of this aeon anyway.

It was found in The Lost Book of Nostradamus:

* Ophiuchus, the thirteenth constellation in the night sky, is supposed to be associated with the end of time in the book. The Great Alignment will be when the sun rises with perfect center of the Galaxy as indicated by this constellation.

* Supposedly the constellation Sagittarius is pointing an arrow at the center of the Galaxy. An expert stated that at that great moment, the knowledge of the tree of knowledge in the Garden of Eden will be revealed.

Awesome, huh?

9. lovemychris profile image76

There is also a book called Catastrophobia, written by Barbara Hand Clow. she says that what caused the precession was a horrific impact on our planet by another one. She says that we are still suffering from the psychological damage left by that impact...and we are fearing another one as a result of it. (paraphrasing!!)

Apparently, it was that impact that not only caused the precession, but the seasons as well. We tilted on our axis, and it was a whole new ball game!

10. Ipeoney profile image71
    Ipeoneyposted 13 years ago

Just an advice to everyone.. Don't panic about your birthday or astrological sign..Because you were born only once..If the astrology sign you have is based on the day you were born then your sign won't change. Babies born this year and beyond will adopt the new change, am I right? Why would you change your sign if the change happened just now and you were born many years ago, right?

BTW there are so many unexplainable matters.. What I believe though is we are all forms of energy, people, the world and the solar system, affecting each other

11. lovemychris profile image76

Could also just be that some people are left-brained oriented, and other's right.
    One see's everything analytically and another feels things intuitively.

They both need each other, IMO.
    Plus, if you ever saw an astrological chart..it is massively mathematical and complex.
    Remember, the ancient Chaldeans and Sumerians were great "Decipherers of the Stars"....
    Until the powers that be disavowed it, so they could have it solely for their own personal use smile.

You do know, the Vatican has one of the best telescopes out there?.......just sayin.

12. Sethareal profile image59
    Setharealposted 13 years ago

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/13/no … t-changed/

This happens every few years where people are misinformed about what the zodiac actually is. There is no 13th sign, just the media blowing it out of proportion unlike the other 20 times this hoax spread. In fact they could have picked totally different constellations, the ones we use are just arbitrary to divide the sky into 12 segments. It would be similar to taking a two-three days out of each month in the year and claiming "scientists just discovered a new 13th month named Ophester!"

13. profile image53
    Daewalkerposted 13 years ago

The fact is because of the limitations of being human it is impossible for us to collect organize and understand all information knowledge and wisdom of our great universe yet many speak with authority about things they do not know instead of keeping an open mind about possibilities!!! Remember every new
    discovery was unknown but unknown is not the same as does not
    exist thus we will be ever learning or we will cease to exist!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)