God vs The Law and no it's not a WWE smack down event

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Stump Parrish profile image61
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

I am often asked why I have a problem with christians in this country and here is another reason. Every six months or so a chistian somewhere gets a little too deep into their bible study classes and start believing that their belief in their god entitles them to ignore the laws the rest of this is subject to.

Pennsylvania Man Vows to Keep 24-Foot Cross Despite Ordinance Violation

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/16/re … ordinance/

BALDWIN, Pa. –  A 24-foot illuminated cross on a western Pennsylvania man's front lawn is in violation of a local ordinance, but the structure isn't going anywhere, he told FoxNews.com.

Carl Behr, 45, of Baldwin, Pa., said he was told during a borough council meeting late Tuesday that he needed a permit to build the structure. He plans to apply for such a permit Wednesday or Thursday, he said, but won't be disassembling his cross anytime soon.

"I'm not removing the cross regardless," Behr said as to whether the permit would likely be approved. "No man is going to tell me about God.//

From the local WTAE news website you can watch the entire story. This man claims that god told him to build the cross.

http://www.wtae.com/r/26814102/detail.html

//Behr said the giant cross is an act of faith, but one neighbor claims it's an act of revenge.

Next-door neighbor Lisa Fera said she contacted police and the borough because she felt Behr purposely built the large cross facing her home.

Behr runs a contracting company out of his house, and Fera claims he frequently violated zoning regulations by parking construction vehicles in front of her house. Fera claims every time she went to police to complain, Behr built a new cross, each one bigger than the last.

"This is a faith thing. I'm trying to spread the Lord's word," said Behr. Why do some feel that spreading the lord's word give them the right to break any law they feel like while doing so?//

This is not the mentality of all christians I know. I also know that it is these types of people who are causing many of the problems we face as a society. By ignoring it and not trying to put a stop to this kind of crap, the majority of christians are offering their silent approval. This silent approval is offered to a host of violations from signs like this to the murder of doctors to the picketing of funerals.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A perfect example of a religious individual not knowing their place. lol

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, maybe if the liberals' agendas didn't keep us Christians hopping trying to fight against their assault on the FUNDAMENTALS,  we'd have time and opportunity and energy to fight against those who commit atrocities in the name of Christianity.
      As it is, and as it has progressed up to now, calling out the extreme "Right" onto the carpet has only given the liberal activists more leeway to claim false persecution under the guise of "civil rights".  Notice the whiners have succeeded in twisting our Laws into a maze of hog swill.

So.....why doesn't the extreme Left (all those gay activists and pro-baby-killing advocates) stop whining about how they're so persecuted?   Then maybe the extremists on the "Right" would be so ashamed of themselves, or so shamed by society, that they'd stop their carp.

3. graceomalley profile image82
      graceomalleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am a Christian, and I don't approve. Plenty of Christians don't approve. This guy is clearly using Christianity as an excuse. A gigantic cross does not "spread the message of the gospel." If anything it drives people away. If my neighbor put a gigantic swastika on their lawn it would not make me anymore inclined to become a nazi.

I agree that civil Christians should not placate rude, obnoxious Christians. I think it is unfortunately like a family dynamic where loud, nutty Uncle Ernie's behavior is tolerated b/c he is family and everyone thinks he will get even worse if someone tries to rein him in. The more no one draws the line with him, the bolder he gets.

Time to stand up to Uncle Ernie.

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Hey stump. I agree with your statement about silent approval. Christians need to stop tip toeing around the fanatical behavior and either knock some sense into them, or drum them out of the organization.

A good first step might be to talk to this guy. What a schmuck.

1. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that. Too many jump to the defense of any idiot who will  bleat the right words.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like I've been telling you you don't know me. I hate the far religious right. Leery of the slightly right too.

As well you should, but that doesn't mean that your beliefs arent ludicrous.

1. profile image0

lol  I would say the same to you, but that would be unchristian

And untrue.

1. profile image0

Ok, we really have to stop this back and forth. Once again, we're like a couple of women. No, what you said is not true. You are wrong. End of discussion for me. I will once again bow, be the bigger 'man' and let you have the last word.

Please proceed.

lol

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
              Mikel G Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll say it.

Pcunix's beliefs are unprovable, unfounded, as improbable as an invisible pink unicorn and very very similar to the guy who has an illuminated cross on his front lawn... Pcunix just comes from the opposite extreme.

My opinion.

Since it's an opinion and not supported by facts, then apparently it cannot be true. tongue

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
                  Mikel G Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

You're the one saying my post was an opinion. I didn't. So please. hmm

Too bad you don't know the difference between opinion and fact. hmm

2. profile image0

Hey. You're a smart guy. Good post.

Clap, clap, applause, applause. As usual. You are so predictable.

1. profile image0

I try to be nice. If that's predictable, sue me. I'd be nice to you, if you were nice. smile

3. Pcunix profile image92

Another one unable to refute the proof without magic.

1. profile image0

There is no proof.  Give it up. Have fun. You only live once pcunix.

Oh, how quickly they forget..

Another well known characteristic of theists:  they forget the battles they already lost.

3. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

Land of the free, home of the brave.... What the hell is up with the USA?!

Why not climb on board with the rest of the western world?

4. stilljustwonderin profile image61
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

The Bible also says that we are to also follow man's law.  By not following the ordinances, they are breaking man's law.  Maybe they should be reminded.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)