Religion does it put their followers at a disadvantage intellectually?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

This is not whether or not God exists or your religion is correct, because all that matters when it comes to religion is your opinion and how you cope with life. Every time I go to the forums there is a new religion thread and to me it just becomes more and more pointless. I got involved in those discussions back when I was 15 and thought I was right. It taught me a lot, but sadly I could have spent my time doing other things.

Here is what I am talking about when I say huge disadvantage.

It is said that it takes 10,000 hours to become a pro at something. Now this is not fact, but it gives you a pretty good idea that you become good at something from practice and experience. Many people spend more time than an hour a week on their religion. Some of my family members put aside hours a weeks of their time to pray, go to church, and also they use it in their thinking.

Me being one of the few non-religious people in my family/friends, there is really no one to talk to about it, nor do I really want to. I feel like religion certainly has its good things and helps people cope with death.

I've noticed that many religious people are so close minded that they can't possibly experience the true beauty of life. The way I get to see life without God or religion being on my mind is something I would never give away from the world. It makes me feel so connected with earth, that not one person could make me go to church and throw my money away. The possibilities truly are endless on how the earth was made and on a daily basis, we are finding out new and incredible things about our universe. This means that there very well could be a creator, or perhaps our universe is just a complete fluke. Our universe might be a "kid" of a different universe and we are just a "bacteria" or "cancer" that is on their way to making the universe sick. We may never know 100% for sure, but saying God exists removes all science and everything we know and renders it useless. I understand there are ways to be religious and still appreciate science, but even then I think religion can end up blocking out the true beauty that you guys are missing.

I've noticed that people who believe in religion are the same people that believe anything the gov't and TV tells them, not to say many non-believers wouldn't.

I would say that looking at life without religion is truly underrated.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand your point exactly...

Are you saying your religious friends and family don't see the beauty of life and living things?   I don't find that to be true at all.  I and my friends appreciate creation, from fireflies to flowers etc., to even the weird sea creatures we've seen on the geography channels, to space travel, etc.......

Saying God exists doesn't remove all science!  It's just that we know the original source of all things.

And your saying that we might be a "cancer" in relation to other potential beings in the universe is, in my opinion, to deny the very science with which our bodies and intellect exist and move.

2. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"I've noticed that many religious people are so close minded"

But your open minded, right?

"The way I get to see life without God or religion being on my mind is something I would never give away from the world. It makes me feel so connected with earth"

What does this mean?

Are you a believer in evolution?

Maybe you can answer what so many can't.

Have you ever seen bacteria evolve into something entirely different?

How about a virus?

We can see bacteria evolve into different forms but it remains bacteria.

Evolution would have you believe that some salamander like creature crawled from the primordial ooze and became something completely different.

2. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I agree with most of this, life is indeed wonderful without religious beliefs.
    I enjoy learning about plants that can smell, and seeing the discovery channel shows on any subject that is showing a way forward in our understanding. What a great period to live in!

I love to bask in the beauty and wonders of the universe and am in awe of the minds that created machinery that can probe space, the joy of happy children, friends, family, all real things in my mind at least.

Having said that, I see little wrong with challenging any limiting belief system as it gets it's data from the bronze age and ignores that it has in the main had it's day and has been exposed as what it is, myth.
    Why it needed exposing is not so apparent, as one would assume it would have died out 200 years ago or sooner due to it's control by psychotic threats.
    I also find it difficult to understand why someone would watch ninth rate reality shows, rather than watch a predatory plant in action with photography that is so advanced it is still hard to believe they can make equipment that good and flawless production, or sport or comedy or anything at all except the mindless dribble of some acted out "reality" show that is more about watching someone who is an even bigger ass than the viewer!
    An area where we may disagree, is in the potential of the myth. I see no more than the shadow aspect or dark side of all of humanity being expressed in much of the OT, nothing more or even very different than the gods in Greek Mythology except the Greeks seemed to grasp this archetypal view.

Lawrence Krauss makes a perfectly logical scientific presentation of how we got here in many easy access video's that are both informative and entertaining as he deals with questions from peers, who are intellectually formidable in the extreme, our very best minds.
    I think the bulk of the theory survived thousand of problems with scientific method, and the holes left in the theories are cheerfully admitted too, in other words refutable, one of the disciplines applied by any science, and the total downfall of the god myth.

I reckon he is close to having the case closed on how we got here, the age of the universe and so much more. I have seen quite a few of them, and would recommend them. Religionists avoid discussing any of the theory as it blows their god idea away far too easily and naturally they get angry and shut down when what they see as their religion, but is in reality their ego feels attacked.

3. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

Indeed it is a wonderful planet, full of marvelous things and around it strange and amazing stuff. Flowers do smell nice and birds make very cool sounds and TV has some nice shows that do not depict the sinful tendencies of mankind. A wife can be a glory to her husband or a controlling biatch. The girlfriend in college can bear your child, wanted or not. STDs can ruin your appreciation of sexual promiscuity. A life of partying can ruin ones liver later, and that can be a real drag.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, this is how God purposed it to be. To walk around smelling flowers and thinking 'that's a nice one, oh i like that one too', is really a quick work all too soonly finished. Like life, it zooms by giving only a short lived gratification even if repeated often. Earning money is nice but often other aspects of life are discarded, family, fun and charity. Smelling flowers is always nice but fruitless, when one is alone in the world, having dated often but finding no true match. Then the pressure of age plays with the scenario of a fulfilled life with purpose and 'did i do all i wanted to?'

Everywhere a person goes, thinks and does... GOD enhances the experience of life.
    The fact that some people seem to think He is a bronze aged myth just shows that He has been around for a very long long time and purports that He will be around for equally as long and longer.

4. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

But scripture tells us that God gives us unto the beast for 42 months (approx 1650 years)

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Religion does it put their followers at a disadvantage intellectually? Yes.

6. mdcgardner profile image52
    mdcgardnerposted 12 years ago

Quite frankly I take offense to your suggesting that we (christians and/or "religious people") are intellectually disadvantaged. Believers of every religion can see just as much beauty in the world as nonbelievers. Being a believer doesn't mean your are not into science, it just means that we (christians) believe that it was not by chance that humans exist. Having a different theory/belief (that's all anyone has) on how the world came to be does not put anyone at an intellectual disadvantage. Their are many aspects of science that religious people do appreciate and respect and religious people can appreciate the beauty of life just as much as non religious.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then get over yourself.
      I'm sure they can. No one is doubting that. It's the "shock and awe" effect believers have that makes them believers in the first place.
      It was by chance human exist and if you knew anything about science, then you would know that. Also, believers discard science when it doesn't suit their belief. Kinda like the same way they read the religious book they supposedly live by.
      Theory and Belief are not the same and you insinuating they are is ridiculous.
      Like to repeat yourself? lol

1. mdcgardner profile image52
        mdcgardnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then feel free to explain to me the difference because it has always been my understanding that until proven through undisputible facts a theory was just a belief based on speculations and assumptions. Only if it can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt does it become law.
        http://www.thefreedictionary.com/theory

You do know there are more than one definition for both words, so I guess I'll let you figure it out. Btw- there is a reason why there are different definition for them, otherwise, why have both words, if there wasn't a difference. lol

7. jstfishinman profile image61
    jstfishinmanposted 12 years ago

Who is really the most closed minded? Those that take into account all possibilities including God and creation and after looking at all sides of an argument choose God. Or those that arbitrarily toss out God and creation without finding out all the pros and cons of evolution and creation. I'm not saying your belief will change, but intelligence dictates looking at all sides of an argument.

There is a difference and that difference is the word you used- possibilities. wink

If there is a remote possibility that a god actually existed, then you would have ground to stand for your argument. But, then again, if there is a remote possibility of one god, then there are an unlimited possibility of unlimited gods and not just one.

How many believers believe there is only ONE god?

1. downhillXnow profile image61
        downhillXnowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now let me think about this a minute.  In my mind Religion is what we think makes us acceptable to God.  So compared to God, I would say we are at quite a disadvantage.  Not sure what the spot would have to be to make it even, but, well, now I'm speechless.  (last post, I promise.  gotta find me a picture to put up)

Even an idiot would have a higher intelligence than any supposed god(supposed being the optimum word).

Nothing cannot have an intelligence and the idiot is actually smarter. wink

2. downhillXnow profile image61
        downhillXnowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

o.k. sorry, last one, I promise.  Just wanted to chime in on the God thing.  I would say there are at times at least 6 or so billion.   I mean after all, don't we all want to be in control???  (O.K. done)

Control? Only non-believers actually have control. Believers don't have control because they take directives from something else. wink

1. Jim Hunter profile image61

"Control? Only non-believers actually have control. Believers don't have control because they take directives from something else."

How does one take directives from something that doesn't exist?

Put a lot of thought into that one huh?

Apparently on faith. lol
              Apparently more than you did your post. lol

1. Jerami profile image59
                Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

good for you  ....      you said what you wanted to say.

AND ?

Baiting Jerami? roll

not baiting!    Just wanted to hear the rest of the story.

Apparently you us the word apparently a lot.

Thats very apparent.

Yep !  everythng that we think is important     is important to them that thinks that it is.

Interesting statement Jerami. hmm

2. Cagsil profile image71

And, one more, just for good measure. lol

Apparently, you enjoy mocking people. lol Nothing new from you.

Nothing new or any of us  ....   I think ??????

Thats funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

Nothing new.

2. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You will not find too many who are against religion on this site at least,  who don't know the bible intimately.

But you will find many religionists on here who know so little about science it is below 3rd grade level and I don't understand how they got through school.

8. jstfishinman profile image61
    jstfishinmanposted 12 years ago

Like you I also find it interesting that more thought and studying does not go into topics that people Hub about.
    As far as control is concerned, and non believers having control.
    What do you have control of?
    Your next heart beat.
    Your next breath.
    Your job security.
    Your spouse.
    Your children.
    Tomorrow.
    Today.
    Next year.
    The real answer is no human has control. Either we just exist or we pray for something more.
    As far as intelligence goes, I would suggest you look at all the Nobel Prize Winners that believe in a higher power. Minds much smarter than I and probably you.

And what does the above statement have to do with this thread? roll
      My answers in bold type.
      Untrue.
      WOW! Talk about a limited view.
      Nobel Prize Winners? That's a joke for such a rigged award. lol
      Yes, there have been many and will be plenty. But, doesn't prove your point. lol

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Here is a link that throws some light on the discussion.

http://www.skeptic.ca/Ethical_&_Int … hesits.htm

10. profile image52
    ibneahmadposted 12 years ago

Not at all; the religionists follow what is natural, positive and as per the evolution; rather they are at the advantage.

It should not be forced on others though

11. kikifish profile image60
    kikifishposted 12 years ago

it's really a complicated question, thank you for sharing this with us. By the way, I am a new member of hubpages,and this is the first hub I read here, aha, it's really nice to meet you here!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)