jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

Incorporating Yule into the Christian Holiday Christmas

1. kittythedreamer profile image95
    kittythedreamerposted 5 years ago

How do you all incorporate Yule into the mainly commercialized and Christian holiday of Christmas? Most of us probably have families that celebrate Christmas, not Yule...so how do you celebrate in your own special way? Obviously a Christmas Tree has Pagan roots and so does holly boughs and mistletoe...but what about Yule traditions?

1. Cresentmoon2007 profile image82
      Cresentmoon2007posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am sad to say that I do not celebrate Yule like I should. It is not held high like Samhain. This year though is the year I have changed and I plan to finally celebrate it. I am so excited and am glad to celebrate it.

kittythedreamerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't either but this year I think I'm definitely going to do a Yule Log at the very least! Maybe mistle...some holly boughs...maybe decorate with oranges and citrus fruits to commemorate the return of the sun. smile

1. Paul Wingert profile image78
          Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How do you all incorporate Christmas traditions into the Roman Pagan hoilday, Saturnalia? For example gift giving, caroling and giving to charity are all tradations of Saturnalia - the celebration of the Roman God Saturn. Kissing under the mistletoe is a Norsman Pagan tradition. Yule is a northen Germatic tradition.

1. Cresentmoon2007 profile image82

Paul, if you look at it in the Roman Pagan holiday of Saturnalia, by the way you word things, because I've never heard the term, I do gift giving. I sometimes give to charity as well.

2. Cresentmoon2007 profile image82

And kitty that's great to know because I'm feeling more into it this year but I feel that it may be because I am growing more with in my path

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have no idea what "YULE" is or what it is about. Maybe you could explain it to us so we can know what you are talking about.

I am a Christian. Eventhough December 25th. is not the actual date of the birth of Jesus Christ, it is a date chosen many years ago to be the date used to celebrate Jesus birth.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
        A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"Yule" was a pagan winter festival that was revamped by the Christians who injected their ridiculous beliefs into it and stole it for their own.

3. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I grew up in a non-Christian, non-Pagan family.  No importing of Christmas is required for my Yule.

Well, that's awesome. A lot of us have family that are Christian. My husband is traditional and considers himself Christian so we celebrate Christmas and I like to slip my Yule celebrations in there too. smile Blessings.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

..i'm starting a new one - Yule 2011...just for me and if friends/family wanna join in - fine, but the trip starts Dec 22 and ends Jan 4...and bring your own cash - it's not on me...road trip....Yahoo!

Sounds wonderful! Have a blessed Yule and a safe road trip. smile

2. Cresentmoon2007 profile image82

that sounds great and sounds like it would be fun. smile

3. psychopixi profile image61
    psychopixiposted 5 years ago

I don't so much incorporate Yule into Christmas as the other way around; Christmas fits into my Yule celebration. I have decorations like lights and candles and I'm making my own Yule log this year. They go out ready for Yule but they all suit Christmas as well. I'm a solitary Wiccan living with an understanding atheist so I can easily take time on Yule to have a simple ritual and then on Christmas I visit my family and exchange gifts. I hadn't really analysed it before, but it's more like Yule gets stretched out to cover Christmas day too because that's when everyone else in my family will be celebrating.

psychopixi - That's awesome that you live with someone so understanding and accepting. Many of us however do not. So we have to make adjustments and compromises to keep everyone happy as well as ourselves. smile Blessings and a Happy Yule to you!

4. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 5 years ago

Was Yule the celebration of the solstice?

I have heard the term Yule log, but I never heard of celebrating Yule.

Yes, Yule is a celebration of the Winter Solstice. It's a time when the ancient Celts would celebrate the return of the sun (or the birth of the god).

5. Azaurmyth profile image59
    Azaurmythposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately I don't do much of anything yet. sad I have a mostly Christian family, and they (my mother and my step-grandmother especially)didn't really like it that I'm a self converted Pagan. I just celebrate Christmas without putting the birth of Jesus into my part of the celebration. I make some bread, and I decorate my grapevine wreath. Read some great ideas here thought! I'm so getting little oranges to put on my wreath now!

working