The Origin of Evil

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (112 posts)
  1. Kyle Payne profile image60
    Kyle Payneposted 12 years ago

Where did evil come from?

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Scriptures.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Man-made concept.

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So murder isn't evil, it's just a concept that it is?

1. Cagsil profile image70

Deborah, you question isn't worthy of an answer. roll

2. Cassie Smith profile image58
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

Satan or Lucifer.

3. Kyle Payne profile image60
    Kyle Payneposted 12 years ago

Is there a more in depth explanation?

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Duality

Kyle Payneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But what do you mean duality, are speaking of substance dualism?

I speak of bitter and sweet, good and evil. This is how we guage the actions of others. You are good because you did this or, you are bad because you did that. It is a mixture of causallity and duality.

Does this make sense?

Are you saying evil began its existence as the absence of good?

No. I am saying that the principles of both are derived from the acknowledgement of this and that. Duality gave birth to religion and it was a result of people observing the premise of causallity. There are many things we do not yet understand. One is the why of things and there are many other things we have yet to ask.

So to you evil is a product of man's nature of expression?

Evil is a product of mans interpretation, through observation. It is in our nature to observe, but we can't shut up long enough to learn anything from it, so we have given it labels and they have stuck.

I am not sure I understand you.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75
              Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evil is the absence of reason, with little or big  acts harm,

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Evil is a type of action not a being, it doesn't need to be "born".

Sin is the action. Sin is the acting of evil. All things begin in an idea, Evil is and idea, therefore it must have a beginning.

Sin is a metaphoric religious term for action.

5. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

Maybe it's simply a human concept. Evil is hard to define, much less trace to its origins.

If it is human, and it arises from that, how are we born evil?

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's assuming we're born evil.

We are. How does a baby know to rebel from what it's parents want him or her to do? For example a baby may hit its mother after the mother tries to feed it. No one taught that baby how to rebel. Therefore it must be innate.

Or it is the behavior of the primitave mind. Babys are primitive in thought and have no idea what is good or bad. No one is born evil, we are just born and it is how we live our lives between then and the end that determines if we are evil or not.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image69

But it is we as humans who define that act as "rebelling." The baby is doing only what is natural.
            The mother and parents define that action as "rebelling" or "bad" because they want him to do something different. The parents therefore define evil as simply the baby doing that which they don't want him to do.
            Was the act of hitting the mother evil? According to the mother yes, because she sees is as rebelling. For the child, he was simply telling her he didn't want food. What is so evil about that? Interpretation and intentions.

The adult mind has everything to do with evil. A baby does not know and therefor it cannot be evil. I am not a christian, but I do bellieve that there is an age accountabillity and anywhere after that time, evil is a choice that leads to action or what have you.

What if there's no such thing as evil, even to an adult? What if it's simply an interpretation?

The baby is doing what is natural to it. That is why it is innate and affixed.

But you are the one which defined that natural action as evil. It is therefore a concept of interpretation.

3. A Troubled Man profile image57

Utter garbage. Babies have no concept of evil or rebellion.  If what you say were true, babies would almost always hit their mothers trying to feed it.

Why sir? Babies have a conscious and they have a choice. I would differ from baby to baby. So what you say is not true but is based solely on the environment and the effects and causes that inhibit the baby to do so.

Babies are conscious but they have not yet developed a conscience. It takes time to develope into an adult and within that time, we learn what is acceptable and what is not. A baby has no concept of right and wrong, so therefor a baby cannot be evil.

2. Druid Dude profile image59
                Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If babies have so many choices, why do they poop their diapers?

3. A Troubled Man profile image57

lol Babies haven't the intellectual capacity to do anything let alone have a choice about what is good and what is evil. Seriously, dude.

4. profile image0
            Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's instinct but the baby doesn't sin, it's too young to know.

Even Yahshua said if you anger without cause, it's wrong.

But notice he said without a cause (a reason).

Matthew 5:

21. Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22. But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

6. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

Rather than attempting to intellectually understand evil and its origin, I recommend instead grappling with and overcoming evil. Check out on Amazon a book that has been helpful to me, God At War by Gregory Boyd.

One cannot overcome evil fully, for it is innate and affixed within us.

1. Ms Dee profile image85
        Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, we need help. That's one reason I recommended the book to you. hmm

A book written by man in the same state as me will not help me overcome the same thing he is trying to overcome, this is where God is immensely needed, to overcome evil and grapple with it.

If we understand our own propensity toward good and evil, then we can make adjustments accordingly. One must understand the natures of the 2 sides, not overcome them more, live with  them and act as is appropriate to the feeling. I am not saying to act on whim, but more, to pay attention and observe how it would affect you in the long run.

The long run effect is not the deciding factor. The deciding factor is what is correct to do regardless of the consequences.

The consequence be damned. It is the choice that matters. I could choose to do evil, because I wanted to, the same can be said of good. In the long run, it is about choices and labels.

7. MickeySr profile image78
    MickeySrposted 12 years ago

Evil, in a word, comes from and in all it's manifestations is a form of - selfishness. We are created as relational creatures; we start as partners, produce families, and seek-out community - we are each parts of a whole and were designed for unity. Selfishness, thinking first and caring most about 'self' rather than others is where all evil originates.

That's what God's redemption through Jesus of Nazareth is all about, uniting us together with Himself and bonding us together with one another - and the evidence that selfishness is at the core of evil . . ? . . the bond of our perfect unity with God and man is love, the opposite of selfishness.

Like, for example, when believers do anything, it is an action they will take ONLY to appease their gods. Pure selfishness.

1. Druid Dude profile image59

Evil comes from the same place that good comes from. The mind of Man/God. We conceived both, and in truth, that is the only place where evil exists. The shark isn't evil...it does what sharks do. The snake isn't evil, nor is it good. A snake is a snake.

2. MickeySr profile image78
        MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From your sniper-like assaultive insults and accusations, rather than an honest sharing of ideas, I'm not surprised you confuse love with a selfish appeasing of gods. When you were little and took it upon yourself to do the dishes for your mom, or when you prepare a meal you know she likes for your wife, or when you spend time playing a game with your kids that you don't actually enjoy playing, etc, etc, are those purely selfish acts? You're so determined that your set in concrete view of Christianity be celebrated that you draw the exact wrong conclusions from things you just don't understand.

are you addressing moi?

My comment isn't considered terribly christian. In fact, I'm considered a heretic.

2. MickeySr profile image78

The way these threads are set-up can be a bit confusing - if you click on the "this" part of "in reply to this" you can see I was responding to A (very) Troubled Man.

(and I agree, you are certainly a heretic - though, I do agree, a snake is a snake)

God doesn't think I'm a heretic.

1. MickeySr profile image78

I think "heretic' is specifically a church term, like, if you stand opposed to some particular church's teaching then you are heretical to that particular church . . . to God there are simply those who are His own children through the atonement of Jesus and those who reject Jesus and His atonement and are not God's children.

2. Druid Dude profile image59

Then, if God isn't everyone's father, who created them? Can God deny responsibility? Make him take a test. Sounds like a deadbeat to me. If the kids are good they're his, and if they're bad they are SOMEONE ELSE"S KIDS? Pretty crappy handling of the whole mess. No wonder everything is screwed up. A little tinkering with the DNA would have saved everyone including Jesus the whole charade. God playing games.

I didn't say anything about good kids being God's and bad kinds not being God's - that is what religion teaches, it is the opposite of what Christianity teaches. God did indeed create man, and in a sense creates every man, and in that sense you could say He is the Father of all - but the Bible is clear that all of us having rejected God, He now adopts those who are His to be His. You're all riled-up about ideas in your own head and not at all what Christianity presents as the truth.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

I don't confuse it, I read it everyday right here on these forums from believers.

Those are selfish acts for a believer because they put their gods as the highest priorities in their life, much higher than family and friends. They simply follow a program like any automaton that's been programmed through indoctrination.

lol

What is your indoctrination and what makes it any different than what you count as indoctrination in others?

ATM > Those (do the dishes for your mom, prepare a meal for your wife, spend time playing a game with your kids, etc) are selfish acts for a believer because they put their gods as the highest priorities in their life, much higher than family and friends <

You think you understand the Christian teaching and the Christian mind, but, I'm a Christian and you simply do not . . . did you grow-up in a 'Christian' abusive home or attend a 'Christian' oppressive school or something? I understand that many review the history of the world and the sway of American churches on our culture and conclude that Christianity is the source of nothing bu evil, but you seem like one of those folks who go beyond an kind of public observation and own a deep personal grudge - I know I could very easily be way off, I'm not  asserting anything about you, I'm just asking.

When we worship God we are not flagellating ourselves chanting 'you're so great, you're so great' and when we seek to obey God's law we're not making sure our 'insurance' for the afterlife is all in order, etc - God is love, all that is good comes form Him, when we worship Him and obey Him we are celebrating being kind to others and helping others and loving others. When i do the dishes for my wife I do indeed do them because of who God is and what He reveals to us - but I am doing them because of the love I have for my wife as one taught by God, not as one hoping to appease a scrupulous overseer. You fight and struggle against a god of your own imagination and then fault me (or whoever) for following the god you make-up - but, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

lol Knowing the difference between indoctrination and teaching is one.

Only by what they say and do.

No, did you?

I have no grudge against Christianity. All religions are sources of great evil.

From your words, it appears you needed your God to teach you to love your wife and that you do the dishes because what God reveals to you.

God is not all love and not all love comes from God, that is your first mistake in understanding reality. smile

M >> What is your indoctrination and what makes it any different than what you count as indoctrination in others? <<
                ATM > Knowing the difference between indoctrination and teaching is one <

So, do you simply cast whatever you don't agree with as 'indoctrination' and whatever you do agree with as 'teaching', or do you just practice a bigotry against those who disagree with you and assume they must obviously so foolish that they've been indoctrinated and haven't been deliberate and thoughtful in what we've investigate and considered?

I assume that you are a smart guy who has thought seriously about these ideas and that you believe what you believe through a critical process of examination - but you seem to simply cast any who believe differently than you on this as necessarily indoctrinated and foolish . . . that doesn't support the  "smart guy who has thought seriously about these ideas" assumption I prefer to practice. A Troubled Man, if you look honestly at the historic record some of the most brilliant minds of ever age have been Christians . . . whatever you personally think about Christian teaching, that is simply a fact.

Not at all. If you knew the difference, you wouldn't ask that question.

Bigotry? lol

Deliberate and thoughtful investigation? lol

It's an understanding, not a belief.

lol And if they didn't say they were Christian, they would have been ostracized, alienated or worse, if one were to look at that honestly. smile

. . . so, when you put a laughing icon next to "deliberate and thoughtful investigation" are you suggesting that authentic deliberate and thoughtful investigation cannot reasonably lead anyone to Christianity?

Asserting that the vast multitude of brilliant thinkers in more ancient times only feigned faith so as to avoid persecution, that is not at all an honest reading of history but is a ludicrous propping up of a lame assertion.

8. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

6That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

8Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.

9Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?

10Woe unto him that saith unto his father, What begettest thou? or to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?

- Isaiah chapter 45.

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
      Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

5And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

- Genesis 6:5

Oh please stop. lol

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
          Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey he asked, he's into biblical things, so here's some biblical reference. Besides, that last one kind of goes with what you're saying Caggy baby.

Bible says, "The heart of a man is wicked."
          Cagsil says "Man-made concept"

lol

9. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Evel Knievel was born in Butte, Montana in 1938.   I hope that answers your question.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5e/At_Home_With_Evel_Knievel.jpg/450px-At_Home_With_Evel_Knievel.jpg

10. Cassie Smith profile image58
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

Is evil the absence of good? Couldn't it be to go against God? In Lucifer's case evil was done because of love. He so loved God that he refused God's commandment to love Man and for that he was cast out for all eternity.

I've never heard of that version...

1. Cassie Smith profile image58
        Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read it on a paper which tried to explore why Lucifer turned proud and against God.  Isaiah 14 just said that he became too ambitious and wanted to be God, and the paper was exploring why and how Lucifer changed form someone who loved God then ended up going against him.  It was interesting and I thought I would put it out there for discussion.

It is also interesting that when Adam and Eve turned against God's one commandment they were cast out of Paradise.  It was evil in the Serpent who tempted Man that caused Man's downfall.  It suggests that evil was an outside force that Man experienced and remain vulnerable to, once they were cast out of Paradise.

2. Cagsil profile image70

And anyone who believes that EVIL can be done because of love, then doesn't understand love.

How about the LOVE of being EVIL. smile Charlie Manson loved twisting people's heads. He loved being able to tell them "Kill for me!" and they would. I've met people like that. Psycho-paths.

We gotta fess up! Cagsil and I invented evil on the Second evening of creation. Too much good ain't good for ya'

Bad example and leave me out of it.

As I said earlier in this thread. Evil is man-made concept.

I think I agreed. A snake is a snake. A shark is a shark, and evil comes from the mind of man. Cofession is good for the sole...so is lemon pepper.

11. barranca profile image75
    barrancaposted 12 years ago

Evil is a word we use to pick out a property of certain human actions, institutions and objects such as nuclear weapons.  Evil has both a subjective and objective dimension of meaning.  The most bald form of evil is intentional cruelty.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)