Boycott the homophobic Bible.

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

This thread should be put in Political Activism
    or LBGT
    but mostly it should be put in Biblephobia or Heterophobia or Christianity Haters.  If there isn't such a forum, it would be good to make one, just so the Accusers of the brethren have a place to spout their hateful rants instead of cluttering up the religion forums with it.

2. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 12 years ago

The bible's stance on homosexuality is not the only reason to boycott the bible.  What about demanding the death of adulterers, or people who work on the Sabbath, or children who dishonor their parents, or girls who are not virgins on their wedding day?

And just what compels a person to seek some other form of "spirituality" whenever they have debunked the bible?  For some of us there is no need for a replacement.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, stone them to death!!!

Oh no, I don't mean like they did it in the oldies moldy days

I mean worry them to death, get them stone on alcohol and drug for LONG term suffering for their sins

What do you think Brenda?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why do you try to bait me with your sarcasm when surely you know by now that you'll simply give me the opportunity to tell you about Jesus?  Maybe somewhere deep down you really want to hear?

The extreme punishment for sin (aside from murder and major crimes that are still handled legally these days) has been Spiritualized by Jesus's sacrifice.  Those of us (actually ALL of us on this earth) who have sinned are now subject to spiritual death in this life and in the afterlife, not to literal stoning.  In one way it's easier this way, in another it's not.  We're now held to personal responsibility at a deeper level, really.  But the easy part is that we can give it all over to Christ if we repent and try to follow Him; we have the opportunity to walk with the One who can do all things, including change our desires and our actions.

Well, many do change from being high on drugs to getting high on Jesus

OR suffer forever by Satan hands or be extremely happy in heaven

Not much time for living in the present or live and let by moderate sharing with other kinds of group.

Oh well, no peace for the wicked

2. profile image0
          jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Naturally, who doesn't want a Good laugh?

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

You forgot.  God changed his mind.

Jeeebus says so.  Hebrews, for one:

“Their sins and lawless acts
       I will remember no more.”[c]

And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.

Of course in Matthew 5 he says

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

But Christians have special ability to read what they want to believe  and reinterpret the rest.

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

Bravo Carl Nussbaum!

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

The bible is merely another book written by humans. To be ignored or not as one wishes.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Bible was meant to serve as a teaching tool back in the day and not to be taken literally. The Jews who wrote it don't take it literally and neither does the Catholic Church. Although if you remove all the death threats, the Bible would only be a few pages long.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are some parables and metaphors and simple examples in it, and a lot of symbolism, but the basic concepts and MOST of the Bible was indeed meant to be taken literally.  Beginning with Genesis 1:1.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
          Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Book of Genesis is nothing but metaphors and can be taken several different ways. This goes for all other creation and flood stories.

1. livelonger profile image87
            livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a valid, and probably the predominant, view among Jews. The flood story was almost certainly inspired by the Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh, which predates the Torah, and the elohist creation story (there are 2 which sometimes contradict each other) was also heavily inspired by the Enuma Elish. Our understanding of the creation of the universe and our planet alone says the Genesis creation myth can not be taken literally, and until recently, it never was.

1. mischeviousme profile image61
              mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think they were all inspired by the Upanishads. The Indo-European cultures predate the semetic cultures by 10 to 15,000 years or so, according to the movements of early homonids. Of course there is no way to tell, other than the fact that Indian sanskrit outdates middle eastern written traditions by about 200 years, give or take.

2. mischeviousme profile image61

It was meant to be taken litteraly then. If one takes it litteraly now, they might as well commit themselve's. I don't see a problem with the religion it's self, more that it's just out dated. If buddhism and all the others are wrong and invalid, then so is christianity. One cannot say that the others are wrong, without being critical of what they believe is true as well.

3. livelonger profile image87
          livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't really believe that at all, Brenda. It's like you're not really a Biblical literalist, but you play one on HubPages.

6. profile image57
    SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

You can boycott it all you want it will still be the Bible and unchanged. How come you just don't just practice your free will and allow others to practice theirs. I am completely puzzled by the close mindedness and number of Godless people on this site. If I see a topic I do not care about I usually leave it alone but instead I see a hundred God bashers on the forum making un-educated and stupid comments. If I do not believe in a certain faith I usually do not go there its only when I see someone attacking my faith or asking a question that I care. Contrary to your popular belief most believers do not care if you are an Atheist or a homosexual. I believe everyone is entitled to free will and yes their are many who do not believe this. Sadly attacking one or the other is not going to be a solution. Choice is the only solution and protecting all sanctuaries is what is important. Threatening the sanctuary of others will only give you a war at some point. I know that believing is a long personal journey and I know that most people will never grow up and make it to salvation. I know that your only choice in changing my mind would be to kill me and I am prepared to die before you ever change my mind. I have no desire to condemn others but all I can do is accept the Word and ask why. Perhaps it has a lot to do with saving yourself, leaving selfishness behind and pro-creating. I think its about spiritual maturity and finding out for yourself.

SanXuary
      The Atheist know your Bible better than any group including Christians. The reason they know the bible is to protect themselves from Religious people. Being Gay is illegal in 80  predominate religious  countries imagine if Christianity was illegal in 80 countries. We are practicing our free will and questioning religious and Christian homophobic , not physically attacking Religion, as Religions dose that all too well in wars with each other

2. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This sounds fanatical.

7. profile image57

If you knew the Bible you would know it can not be changed and even I study the question why. I believe it has everything to do with Gods plan. I do not however condone attacking anyone's belief in anything. Life is a journey and each individual has the choice to decide their own fate. Forcing someone to believe is a violation of the free will God gave us in the first place. Earth is purgatory and we have to find a way to live in it. We also have to recognize that all people are different and there are many different paths to discover ones own salvation. I would never keep someone from learning or deny them their time on Earth. You were given that time to figure it out for yourself. Most of all I am not the judge on anyone's soul and condemning you does not get you any closer to discovering Gods plan for your life. Attacking the believer however invites others to defend their beliefs and it should. If you read the Bible then you have to decide for yourself what personal relationship and obstacles must be over come within you to mature spiritually. You can not blame God, the Bible or even others in determining such personal growth. This requires great faith in Gods plan and finding the reasons why it is written. The problem with sin is that it always attacks the believer even when he or she simply hides from the World.

If God had a plan, would he really give it to the Christians with their road record.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pssst. Peter was a rock. Paul a Roman agent. The christians have been purposely led down the primrose path. Take Jesus, as is, and place him next to the vatican...and all you have is a beggar standing next to a magnificent ediface. Tell me something isn't wrong with that picture. Now, consider that there are a billion christians wordwide vying for less than 500,000 heavenly seats. Sounds to me like a lotta disappointed christians on judgement day.smile

Your sounding less like a blind sheep much more of the time these days

8. profile image57

There will be plenty of disappointed Christians and they will get to hang out with the unbelievers. Still I do not judge the faith based on the deceptions of others and wrong street religion.

9. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Why does it matter one little jot to a non-believer what God thinks about anything?

Unless ,of course that it does matter what God says wink

Before 1973 Governments  tries electric shocked treatment on gays , another way is threatening gays is that GOD will give them a  lightening bolt to straighten them out

Isn’t Angry a Sin?

10. profile image57

What does anything you say got anything to do with God? Everything you say has everything to do with people. Its like paying someone with a college degree more money and claiming manual labour is worth less and its their fault they make less. Its like destroying the entire economy on being to greedy at the top and expecting someone who has had everything taken from them because of it and telling them to get a job. Being mad at God because your father died because he was inhaling poison on the job and eating food that is unsafe. People are the root to all that is injustice on this planet and most spend their time furthering their own agendas. We make the greatest mistake when we compare this World to Gods plan. If you our not of this World and will die soon and that is the plan then you have to rediscover the purpose. God does not have the same concerns we do because free will was part of the plan in deciding your own salvation.

1. mischeviousme profile image61

I can salvage my own life, whether my personal god/God has anything to do with it is heresay. God won't rescue me from this world, nor will death. What I came from, hnce will I return. That is the way of universal nature...

Claimed by life, returned to dust and recycled just the same. That's how I see it anyhow and to me God is but a brief respite along the way. None of us are truly comfortable in our own skins, so we fabricate all sorts of methods of escape, whether we believe they exist in life or there after.

11. mischeviousme profile image61
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

nice nature shots

12. profile image57

It must be a sad life knowing you our only manure helping the maggots grow up. Fearing death is one thing but fertilizer, can you not paint a better picture? Honestly, did God screw your life up this bad or was it just you. No one said listen to any man or attend a church to find your answers. Who do you listen to psychiatrist, science, your teacher give me a break. No man on Earth will make up my mind and even if the church worshipped the devil tomorrow I will still stand on my own faith.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)