Going back to the flood story

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (156 posts)
  1. profile image56
    nonto21posted 11 years ago

How come Noah's boat was the only one that worked?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because his had the most horses!  cool

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. profile image56
        nonto21posted 11 years agoin reply to this

How did the 3 toed sloth make the boat?

Why is there no mention of Kangaroos?

How did animals from separate continents, get over their respective oceans?

All questions that have been asked before I'm sure.

1. pennyofheaven profile image78
          pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Turkey? or wherever that mount is is probably not a big country perhaps there were not too many animal species in that country.

1. profile image56

It's still a crazy story.

Crazy does not necessarily mean it did not happen.

1. profile image56

Common sense would dictate that it didn't happen.

Yes it would. Eating dead people was too bizarre for my common sense to get its head around but it was true.

We might never know if the flood happened or not.

1. profile image56

It's all conjecture at this point. There's no science or reason that could back it up.

2. Friendlyword profile image61
                    Friendlywordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's scientific proof a Great Flood did happen. The specifics can be questioned. The three toed sloth does present a problem with the Noah theory.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

A snap of the fingers and an abracadabra worked just fine for god back then.  The same would have done so without drowning all of the babies and tiny little bunny rabbits too, but apparently he was trying to make a point.  Gods do that!  smile

1. profile image56

Insensitive jerks of Gods...

I address this question in one of my hubs.
            Why do we put so much weight on Gods shoulders? Him carrying us around is not good enough for you?
            I think in instances like the flood or parting the red sea shows God is not all powerful and all knowing but, God does his best to save us the best he can.

The hub is about his struggle with Lucifer and his limitations and love for his Children.

1. profile image56

His love is negated by the unchanging God clause. If God is unchanging and eternally so, why change his mind? Why saccrifice himself to himself?

1. Friendlyword profile image61

What...
                What did I just say?  Give the guy a break!  First of all, you don't know who he or she or it is.  You sure don't know what he can do.  And in any case; he is not responsible for our sense of helplessness, hopelessness, loss of faith, or no faith.  That's all on you.  He does what he does, if he does, and that should be good enough for you.

But in the interest of debate, if you had someone that you really thought was all knowing and all seeing; how could you ever go to the bathroom?

1. profile image56

Funny answer.

It all falls on someone proving their stance. If it can't be proven as fact, then certainly, it isn't a fact.

1. profile image56

Gee. It's so much easier to articulate my answers offline.

3. profile image51
          jah1zposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even birds flocks when the season change. So does the animals. They sniff a coming destruction better than human.

"Regional" is the key word here. Every regional have every fowl/creatures according to its kind, of it's environment (in that time).

You don't need two of every kind, just 10% of the two's of every kind of that regional, in that environment.

2. pennyofheaven profile image78

Apparently God only spoke to Noah even instructing how he should build the Ark. When he told the people, they laughed at him or something like that. Didn't believe him and so drowned. Did someone else build a boat?

1. profile image56

Historically. As far as we know, the Polinesians were the first sea fairing people.

Yes apparently we were. We traded around the world before it was discovered the world was round. But we have no flood stories that I know of.

1. profile image56

It's a ploy then, chritianity?

Ploy? No idea. Perhaps in their view of existence their country was "the whole world". How far can a bird fly?

1. profile image56

"In their region of the world"... Key phrase.

Yes key words indeed.

2. profile image51

"We" ---- smh. Who is "we" Penny? I'm laughing now and whatever response you give me will most likely make me double over in more laughing.

Go on, knowledgeable One........

We as in my ancient race. Maori travelled the seas trading with many countries before the compass was invented and before it was discovered the world was round.

1. profile image51

Your "ancient race" ---- interesting. Tell me about this ancient race. Identify them in the Bible before mankind knew the Earth was round, for I tell you a truth, in the story Job, even he knew the Earth was round and knew this in the region of Israel to Africa.

I tell you another truth, Penny. Your ethnicity didn't come around until 600 B.C. in Europe. There is no way your "we" people was around during Noah's time. In fact, the Progenitor of your ethnicity was yet a young man and hasn't multiply his seed as of yet.

They are not in the bible as far as I am aware. Do we have to be in bible to have existed in your view?

Yes I am aware the bible states the knowledge of the world being round before science confirmed it. I was referring to scientists confirmation. Like Job our people were privy to this knowledge too. I doubt that we were the only sea travellers of the time too.

We were not in Europe nor did we originate there according to our ancient history.   You cannot declare we were not around when you do not know our history or progenitor as you put it.

1. profile image56

Plus, there's no time line in which to gauge it's authenticity.

Usher was a fool by the way, not the singer, the catholic decon.

2. profile image51

"They are not in the Bible as far as (you) are aware" ---- interesting. Could it be that your ethnicity hasn't yet come into existence? Just a question?

And like Job, your people was privy to this knowledge ----- quiet interesting. Let's see....the people of Noah's time were mostly experts of astrology, all the way to the Mayans. All indigenous people of planet Earth and you set about a distinction that your "mysterious people" was their among them, advancing civilization.

You know, Penny....not even the Cro-Magnum was known for astrology or anything to do with discovering the Earth to be round about.

And if your ethnicity did not originate in Europe, where, in the region from Israel to Africa, they came from? Do not claim Asia Manor, the Africans had that populated. Do not claim Mesopotamia or any of the region in the Nile, the Africans had that populated.

Do not claim America. Do not claim any of the islands not seen today, for it is are under water now.

Your ancient history started thousands of years after Japheth, son of Noah. Japheth was Black though. Your common ancestry to link your ethnicity to the African parents were Albinism, Penny. It is the only link to bring about the Caucasian skin texture.

Your ethnicity did not appear as its own distinctive seed. Your ethnicity is not a race as you believe. There is one race, the Black race. You, and everyone else is an ethnicity under the Modern Human race: Black African.

Now, if you will....let's hear about your "ancient history" and where they came from?

IT WAS NOT A BOAT!  NOAH WAS NOT GOING FISHING!

1. profile image56

You're not helping your argument dude.

We weren't just fisherman hehe.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hang On.....

But didn't Maui also have a waka (boat) when he had to fish up GodsOwn (NZ) after the flood and let the Moas (large chickens) and Kiwis go? sad

Hahaha yes and no flood was mentioned. They came from a mythical land to fish and the north island of NZ was Maui's lucky catch. The waka is the south island of NZ.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
            Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No-no-no.. Ah! Mythical land?  I'm sure that they came from No-ah's land eh? smile

Ummm... I was sure that was how the Moas and Kiwis got to GodsOwn after No-ah refused to allow them, Wekas, Pipis, Bill English and the Kangaroos on his waka! sad

Kia-ora

Hehe you could be right. And if Noah's waka looked anything like Maui's it would solve all the mystery about the boat and how the animals fit. Now we've just got to solve the mystery about how it floated! Any ideas haha

Kia ora.

3. Friendlyword profile image61

I was not a Boat!  It was an Ark.  A boat can't take tidal waves. 

Take a empty container of milk and put it in a tub of water.  Take a pail and keep throwing water on it. It will float until the wax wares off it.  Design and reinforcment was the difference between the Ark and the boats trying to survive the flood.  Goaffer wood and the Ark covered with pitch(tar)was how the Ark floated until the water dried up.  A since it was flat on all sides; it settled back on dry land with tipping over.

Even if you don't believe the story of the flood; you have to admit the science was sound.

1. profile image56

Not really, not if it can't be applied to reason.

What...
          Maybe the design was so simple and beautiful it just defies whatever "reason" you tried to apply to it.

2. profile image56

Cont.

It's not reasonable to believe a three toed sloth made it across the Atlantic ocean.

Three toed sloths are from South America, by the way.

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
            Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol A boat can not take title waves and neither can any 500 ft wooden vessel of any shape - defies the laws of physics. Noah's Ark is a cute story since it's only that, a story and not to be taken literally. Sorry to bust your bubble.

1. profile image56

Who's bubble?

I'm the one trying to discredit the story.

@ nonto21 - Excue me, I meant Friendlyword's bubble about his explanation of an Ark.

1. profile image56

Thank you for the clarification...

I don't know. Our humble canoes (ancient) seemed to do ok travelling the rough seas. In saying that I don't know what materials they were constructed with.

Again...I can't speak to anything regarding boats!  I'll leave it to your experience and judgement as to weather a canoe could last through a great storm and flood and hurricane winds and boats and houses and trees and...were we talking about a canoe?

1. profile image56

No. We're addressing the issue of what sounds crazy and what doesn't.

Ok I not able to follow the whole thead right now, but it is a great topic of discussion concerning the Bible.  I'll be back!

1. profile image56

Thank you for visiting my thread. Have a nice evening.

Haha yes doesn't sound possible. Apparently they travelled by the stars and by reading the tides and the direction of swells together with other little technical details that escape any coherency for a non boatee like me.

1. profile image56

Good answer.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
                psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Polynesian canoe crossed the Pacific, and it literally cannot be sunk.  I would suggest it is as capable of surviving the flood as any vessel--especially if it held just a few people and not a menagerie.

1. profile image56

If Noah and his family were the only one's spared the flood, then why so much ethnic diversity?

Not everyone subscribes to Noah and the flood (as it was told) so it would depend on ones subscription as to why there is a debate about ethnicity.

Makes more sense with no animals.

1. profile image56

+1

They have some serious waves and storms on the pacific. So, I think your right. It's just, the Ark was better for the situation of the earth being shaken by God!

1. profile image56

But a crazy story, is still a crazy story.

Show me some proof.

4. amymarie_5 profile image67
      amymarie_5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just want to know how he got all those animals on the boat. LOL

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Favoritism.

Friendlywordposted 11 years ago

"A boat can not take title waves and neither can any 500 ft wooden vessel of any shape - defies the laws of physics"

I said it! Me...OVER HERE!!!

I don't know about the story part; but the physics are sound and proven right in front of thousands of TV viewers!  I'm referring to an experiment performed in a lab in front of my eyes.

Or is one of the laws of physics "DON'T BELIEVE YOUR LYING EYES"?

1. profile image56

Do you believe everything you see? Do you believe everything you read?

No. So, how is reading the bible any different?

2. Paul Wingert profile image61

@Friendlyword - It's obvious you don't know about the story part because you seem to accept it without question and know next to nothing about physics. What lab experiment was proven in front of thousands on TV?

I'm not even going to get into the numerous other issues with the flood story. The idea of a global flood and the aftermath for example. Keep in mind the writers of the Noah story, and the author(s) of The Epic of Gilgamesh, from which the Adam and Eve and Noah story were based on, believed the earth was flat and sat in the middle of a great endless sea and was at the center of the universe. But if you or anyone else want to believe these fairy stories as historical fact, go ahead. The rest of us will try to control our laughter.

1. profile image56

Good reply.

Before or after you laugh; do some research and learn the science of the Bible story about the Great Flood.  Everything washed into the black sea. That's a fact.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngnews/blacksea.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 150931.htm

1. profile image56

Everything in the immediate vicinity of the black sea, you mean?

After reading the two articles I see no mention of a Noah, a global flood (a "flood" is not a "global flood" - even the Missouri ang Yang River floods occasionaly), or a 500+ft ark. There is no science to back up such a story, sorry.

1. profile image56

Are we on the same side? I totally agree with you, so how are we in opposition?

I didn't know we were in opposition. I was referring to Friendlyword again. smile

I love this duel conversation going on here!
              Relating to the actual subject...
              I think most of the debris from the flood ended up in the Black sea.  There are large areas of flat bedrock in New York State with deep grooves in them, all pointing south.  It is "assumed" that these flat rocks were actually stone mountains that were shaved off by a vary hard and massive force.  Like maybe massive plates of glaciers sliding down the earth and flattening anything in their path on the way to the equater(most likely forming our gulf just like a snowballs makes a groove and a puddle)where they melted.  Wouldn't something that caused large pieces of the earth to move along the surface of the earth cause something like massive amounts of friction and energy and pressure that would cause alot of storms and alot of rain and vary large tidal waves that  wash away land and stuctures that had to end up somewhere?

Anyway:while you put that all together in your head; the video I suggested did pose these question, show this evidence, and perform the experiments about how the Ark could have survived that disaster.  If it happened.

"The History Channel : Biblical Disasters Including Noah's Flood , Biography Channel Noah and the Ark : All About Noah 2 Pack" AMAZON

Get back to me when you see physics in action with your own eyes!

1. profile image56

The history channel?

That's it?

The channel that aires ancient aliens?

That's your source?

Still not helping your argument dude.

When you (Friendlyword) watched the two programs on the History and Biography Channel, you probably forgot the words "story" and/or "myth". The topic was "Biblical Disasters" not historically true disasters.

1. profile image56

Good reply.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Because Noah was the only one smart enough to carry oxygen tanks with him.

Don't forget, the Himalayas were populated then and God murdered those people with His flood; if that is true we might as well accept that He also covered the entire earth, including Mt. Everest at 29,000 feet.  At that elevation oxygen is needed for survival (along with lots of heat) but no one then knew that and thus did not carry any on their boats.

(That Noah didn't know what oxygen was, couldn't make it OR the tanks to carry it is immaterial.  God provided it all).

5. Friendlyword profile image61
    Friendlywordposted 11 years ago

Oh God! we've been invaded by the blues brothers!  It's hard to tell you apart.  Don't at least one of you want to become a real guy? I like one of you and the other one is a creepy stalker try to get people banned

1. profile image56

And what lead you to such a base opinion?

The fact that I prefer to maintain a modicum of annonimity?

I like you, not for your opinions and/or theism, just because you're person.

And not because I'm trying to "stalk" you as you say.

Okay...You are definitely the one I like!  I really got sucked into your other forum.  I'm really impressed at the way you conducted your experiment in manipulation of emotional control.  Take a bow.

6. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Those who are only interested in arguing about the Bible do not be surprised if I do not respond to your comments for I have been down this road numerous times with others who think exactly like you.

This message is for those who are considering a Christian way of life. The assertions that God cannot exist because God cannot be proven or be scientific is the limitations of the human mind. For those who accept God on faith which means nonbelievers need not apply God rejects our flimsy little scientific perspective. If we are to accept the existence of God consider biblical history as to how great God truly is. God divided the waters so that the slaves following Moses could pass, Jesus himself walked on the water and history has not recorded anyone else having done the same-(yes people talk about the guy who got out of the boat but it is my firm belief he was only capable of doing that because Jesus held him up), Jesus raised Lazarus back to life. A question was asked in one of these forums why was Noah's boat the only boat that floated-Please understand this when it comes to God we can take our funky little science and throw it away because a little things like physical scienceis not going to prevent God from achieving its objective. Mankind is bound by physical laws not God.

1. profile image56

The God that sanctioned murder, rape and torture in the old testament?

The God that Jesus vehemately supported, even though God is morally bankrupt?

The supposed God that was eternally unchanging, yet changed his mind?

The God that sanctioned the bloody slaughter of every man in a villiage and then said it was ok to take their virgins (against their will)?

The same God that had no idea about cell phones and 3 toed sloths?

The same God that still let's evil, disgusting people into heaven, while punishing the just?

I hope you understand Why I don't believe in your evil God.

Too bad Gallop Polls weren't invented yet. God would be suffering from some dismal approval ratings.

"I hope you understand Why I don't believe in your evil God"

I understand why you are so mad at your God.  You want salvation you know you don't deserve and you're trying to do a end run around your fear with hate.
        C'mon Man!  God is just a guy! Give him a break.

2. Paul Wingert profile image61

lol "We can take our funky little science and throw it away because a little things like physical sciences not going to prevent God from achieving its objective." In the Old Testament, God was slaughtering people right and left. He seemed to mellow out in the New Testament. I guess being a father has that effect on people. LOL For those who do not believe in science, or physical laws, need to stop taking any medications for any reason and stop using any form of convenience (i.e. automobiles, computers, cell phones, TVs, CD players, etc, etc,). Move out of your house, which has science all over it (everything from the insulation to the paint), and move to some cave in the middle of some jungle. There they can be one on one with your man made god. Oh yeah, lose the matches and lighter.

7. SpanStar profile image60

Well Paul,

where in the old or New Testament did you actually read where God was on the ground killing these people you claimed was killing?

I get this idea from people like you that you're so much smarter than God if that were true why then were you people doing the killing?

If someone is telling you to do something wrong and you do it-can anyone say Charles Manson!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

Of course he didn't do it personally.  He used people like you who were gullible enough to believe he wanted such destruction.  But there really wasn't a "He" either, just superstitious judgmental people who think "they" know what is right for everyone else.

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
        Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Killing 27 million people on earth at the time of Noah spiritual Journey was the right thing to do. Killing most of the dinosaurs was a great way to hide their success stories.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           God you are the beast , I mean... you are the best

There were 27 million people at the time of the flood?

2. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Randy,

You of all people talking about judging people is more than a laugh since you spend the majority of your time telling other people about a religion you know nothing about.

Constantly telling people what is and what is not without the capacity to prove one single thing you have to say.

If it wasn't so ridiculous it would be laughable to say while God made people do this and made people do that  AND by the way there is no God how distorted is that point of view?

I really hope people on taking you seriously.

penny
          Yes, 27 million at the time, and all together there has been 100 billion people who ever live and dead on earth, I Wonder where the hell did most of them go

Span

LOL LOL we are judgmental and the Ark was not so  ridiculous lo lo and and...hope people are not taking us seriously lo lo ho ho and God would not distort things, lo lool lo ha ha   

We do not have capacity to prove one single thing is real about Noah's Ark LOLL HAH HA

Star you crack me up

1. SpanStar profile image60

Castlepaloma,

There are times for whatever reason I believe there is a true sense rational thinking in you. It appears to me you choose to remain in the background with regards to your sincere comments.

You've chosen to be on the negative side of the issues which you are free to do so if however you have contributions that could possibly impact another person's life positively then I believe it is a bad your approach to life will have been wasted with respect to perhaps having made a real difference.

We first might need to figure out how they got here before we can figure out where they went to if at all they went anywhere. Which as we know is an ongoing debate.

Actually Span

I think am a strongly positive and optimistic person
              By taking very negative inventive concept like of Noah Ark where God kills 99.9999% of the people on earth along with them going to hell. Then with my imagination sling shot these kinds of negative questions out into the Stars and Cosmo. Then I wait for for an answer from some form of higher energy that give my a silly answer in reply. Why ask a silly question you get  will get  silly answer

If Noah Ark was a true story , then God has very little respect for human beings and nature and in return want us to fear and worship him. In my books you must give respect to get respect then you can go beyond with love

8. SpanStar profile image60

Castlepaloma,

Unfortunately we are not on equal level with God. The fact remains we did not create ourselves as human beings, we did not create the Earth, we did not create the universe, we do not create the rains, we did not create the Sun or the moon nor any of the animals we kill and eat.

1. needmoretime profile image60
      needmoretimeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A story is as good as it's writer. In this case, the writer was a few hundred years off and hence, could not come up with a likely account. Probably a story passed down in the familly. It would definitely explain alot of the wierd parts.

1. SpanStar profile image60

The bible has been under human microscopes for more then a very long time and still the So-Called-Story goes on.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, power and wealth can do a lot of damage.

2. Castlepaloma profile image77

Too many Christian are too lost in space,  to really look under a microscope.

Science is not superhuman like, or super duper-man  like

3. pennyofheaven profile image78

Shows how good the writers were.

As good as Hollywood writers are today

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)