jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

England on Top of the World

1. rus-leelaratne profile image60
    rus-leelaratneposted 5 years ago

Well, finally England has the number one spot on the test rankings.  I think England will be there for a while.  The team looks good and has a good balance. 

A good opening pair in Strauss and Cook.  A solid number 3 incase you loose the openers early.  Very good stroke makers in Pieterson, Bell and Morgan.

A wicket keeper in prior that can genuinely bat with an average in the 40s (and 6 test hundreds).  Also, a very good bowling attack to choose between Bresnan, Anderson, Finn, Broad, Tremlett and Swann.

I also think there is a good mix of ages and experience to continue the success going.  So, I see England on top for a while.  My only concern is the lack of a quality second spinner for when Swann is injured or when they need to play a second spinner.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

Are you talking about cricket, which has got to be the most boring game in the world?

I mean, who cares.

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ohhh IzzyM - I used to have so much respect for you and then you go and say something like that!

OK so I admit that Test cricket can be boring, as can some of the one day games - but T20 is one of the most exciting games I've watched - I'm a Football, Soccer, Rugby, Hockey fan - and feel I am objective - I feel that if the US really took an interest it would be the most popular sport in the world - heck they even have cheer leaders!!!

1. rus-leelaratne profile image60
        rus-leelaratneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

SimeyC - Cannot agree more. T20 is the best way to promote the game.  Would be nice to see other countries join in.

IzzyM - Have a look at some T20 stuff.  You will like it.  The 5 day game could be boring, unless you fully understand the technical stuff.  There is a lot to learn googly, Doosra, Carrom ball, In swing, Reverse swing, etc.  To you it is a one guy throwing the ball at another guy.  If you understand the techniques of bowling, every delivery is different.

Anyway, I won't bore you with it.  I use to play the game when I was younger and then you really get into it because you have to learn all the technical stuff.  Just a shame, I do not have time to watch 5 full days of cricket.  So, have to rely on highlights.