jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (19 posts)

Own Domain or Blogger?

1. nicregi profile image65
    nicregiposted 6 years ago

I am really curious. What do you think? Writing for money and for side income, getting a domain is really important?

1. mailxpress profile image75
      mailxpressposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've learned having a Domain is not necessary but many people want to have a Domain Name.  It's a personal choice.  To each their own.  This is only my opinion but many people feel differently and that's OK.

2. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

yes, dozens

3. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

The question doesn't really make sense, seeing as you can host your own domain on Blogger.

But if you mean 'own hosting' or blogger, then go for own hosting. Wordpress templates and functions are far superior.

4. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

I make almost ALL my income from HP (Amazon+Adsense)...My personal domain does make a bit, but HP's impressive authority in search engines is what makes all the difference in my earnings!

1. Benjimester profile image90
      Benjimesterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Agreed.  I make more on HP than on private domains because it's easier to promote on top of HPs impressive authority.

2. 0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As you become more experienced with internet marketing, I guarantee that will change.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

When it comes to building the pagfe rank of a blog, having your own .com helps.

6. nicregi profile image65
    nicregiposted 6 years ago

Thanks for all the answers smile

Guess got to get my own domain soon lolz

7. yoshi97 profile image89
    yoshi97posted 6 years ago

Your own domain is best, but expect to spend some time building your page rank up. However, it definitely grows with time, so long as you keep adding fertilizer to the garden. smile

1. nicregi profile image65
      nicregiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

nice info! smile

8. ftclick profile image59
    ftclickposted 6 years ago

no-brainer. Domain is much better more advantages.

Ma.g.nolia a social network site where people and "hubbers' had lots of content suddenly went offline so did some of their income. blogger you are held prisoner to 3rd party content owner. by owning it you can develop 100s of pages, not just one or two pages with these hubs, which again can be finished one day and so is all your income. It is advised to use your own site (domain) and a blog 3rd party site too.

9. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

Having your own hosting and owning your own domain name is the way to go. If your going to make money on a site you want to OWN it!

Any site can disappear or get bought out overnight. If you put all your hard work into it you want to own it. I make 100% of my income off my own sites.

Another thing is you can sell your own site. Right now I could get around $60,000 for just one network of sites I have. Too many have woke up to see their free site blog or articles all gone.

Would you expect to keep selling widgets in front of a store on the sidewalk? That's what your doing by using a free service. It might never go under, but most do in time. smile

10. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

If you want advertising networks to take your application seriously then you need your own domain-name. Very few ad networks approve sites hosted in subdomain or blogger.

11. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

You can implement a blogger blog and make money, but you can also make money on you own domain. Whether you set up one over the other, it really doesn't matter. I would though purchase a domain and set the blogger blog to the domain name, or just create your own site.

Hubpages is a great source of revenue, but you don't want to put all of your eggs in one basket.

12. madeline Oscar profile image60
    madeline Oscarposted 6 years ago

To earn you should be placed well in SERP. TO get a good position in Google, I Prefer creating your Own Domain rather than having a Free Blogger

13. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

You need your own domain.

At some point you need to learn how to write and promote your own site. That way you control your own destiny. Blogger can take down a blog at any moment, whether it's spam or not. Thousands of decent bloggers lost their blogs recently. And with shared sites such as HP or Squidoo, someone else pulls the strings and makes major decisions.

Diversity and independence should be a part of your long-term strategy. With your own site, you can include a wide variety of affiliate programs not available on HP.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well said. Writing on a free site is like selling your stuff in a corner of someone else's store. At any time they can decide they don't want you there anymore. They tell you what you can and cannot sell. They don't let you put up your own banner or let you make your space exactly the way you want.

If your really going to make a living off the net, you need your own sites. Using the other free writing sites are fine, but your main focus should be your own sites. In time you can even sell your own site for a lot of money. smile

14. Ultimate Hubber profile image81
    Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago

Select a niche that gets good traffic and then get a domain for it. Next step is to make your domain an authority on the subject. Once your website has got the authority status, then any posts made there related to the website's main topic will quickly and easily rank high in SERPs and the cash will flow in!