Two controversial posts on facebook

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

In recent news, a father found out that his teenage daughter was posting complaints, on her private facebook page, about how she feels her father makes her do too much work.  Needless to say, he responded by making a video of his own; where he not only reads her post, but he then shoots her laptop, while uploading the whole thing online to post on his facebook page and hers, to teach her a lesson.  Um...okay...  And so far, the post has generated a lot of hits...  Personally, i don't know if I agree with his actions, as one would think he'd talk to his daughter instead of going through all that crap...but what do I know?

As for the other post, Mark Zuckerberg has been gaining a lot of heat from facebook users for liking a post by someone.  Personally, I don't see how it's a big deal, but again, what do I know?

Anyway, here's the yahoo link if you want to see the video for yourselves.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-no … 58872.html

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously? You don't know if you agree with his actions?

I think he proved her point. The man is obviously on his last nerve and is very likely taking it out on his daughter. What she's saying about might just be true and not the exaggeration of a teenage girl.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well to be fair, I was trying to be unbiased when I posted my op, so I didn't want to state my opinion before hearing what others had to say first.  However if you read my responses to psycheskinner, then you'll know that I don't agree with his actions, as I felt the best solution would've been to talk to the girl instead about this. 

edit:  I do apologize for not making that clear enough though, as I know it could've been worded better.

2. Joelipoo profile image76
      Joelipooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How can you agree with this guy?  He handled the situation entirely wrong.  This was about as immature an action as he could take.  If this is the example he sets for his daughter, how is she supposed to know to behave any better?  The utter collapse of the family in this nation is disgusting.  It's not surprise our country is in so much trouble considering what people think the words "family" and "marriage" mean now.

Seriously. This guy is beyond the point of talking. And not to make light of the issue, he really needs to seek counseling.

2. profile image0

Well, if you like, you're more than welcome to see some of the comments on the original youtube video, as majority of the users there support him like crazy. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was rooting for the father until he himself referred to the daughter's "lazy a__".   So....maybe her cussin' was simply a mirror of the kind of language she receives from her parents, or at least the father.?

I saw nothing wrong with the video or his shooting the laptop, except for that fact.  And even with that, he, as a parent, still had the right to ground her and shoot her laptop.  But yeah I think he should've refrained.

4. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very, very strange, Steven.  Hmm, FB is one odd kettle of fish, don't you think?  Yep, I love to mix my metaphors...it's in my blood!!!

PS:  Great to see you again!

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Shoots her laptop with a gun ?!

Wow.  I think he is the one acting immaturely. Must be nice to be able to throw away a laptop just to make a point.

1. profile image0

i don't disagree with you there.  granted, im not a parent, nor do i have any experience raising kids.  however, i think it would've been best to TALK to the girl about the post, rather than going through such extremes.  But then again, that's just me.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quite. I mean what did she learn other than that her Dad is better at bitching on Facebook than she is?

2. vmartinezwilson profile image79
        vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I am a parent and that has to be the most inane thing I've seen a parent do in a while.  So instead of talking to his daughter and explain to her why it's her responsibility to do chores and work if she wants to spend his money, he destroys a computer that costs a pretty penny.

It makes no sense to me.  It's wasteful and shows her that if she doesn't like something in the future, she should just destroy something and then try to humiliate the person causing her issues.

Ugh.  No parent is perfect, but this guy is acting like a scorned pre-teen.

2. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He could had donated it to charity!

3. pedrog profile image60
    pedrogposted 12 years ago

First i thought this might be some made up viral video to make a few bucks, well i watched the video, no adverts on it, well, two thumbs up for that guy!

4. mega1 profile image77
    mega1posted 12 years ago

there's a family with big problems, imo!

1. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your right Mega1.  This dynamic started years ago when she was cute and daddy's little girl.  You have to set boundaries of discipline and co-respect when children are very little.

1. mega1 profile image77
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

unfortunately, when family members act out with violence, it only begins bigger very dangerous actions.  I don't find anything funny about it.

5. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

The issues run deeper than the FB post between the father and daughter.  Whatever the reasons, there is no need to do what he had done.  His actions undermined him.  She will no longer respect him or trust him.  Bad move on his part.  Talking it through would have been smarter.  Besides, if she need FB as an outlet to scream, he should let her.  It's a better choice than drugs, alcohol or running away.

6. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Oh please, this is just the kind of over the top drama that we see way too much of these days and seems to become more and more acceptable thanks to Youtube and reality TV.  On what planet is this acceptable behavior, and who but somebody desperately looking for his 15 minutes of fame does this kind of thing?  What would he have done if she came to him to air her issues, shoot her too?  Seems to me like dad still has some growing up of his own to do.  Maybe some therapy or medication might help, but he doesn't strike me as the kind who would consider those options.  He's not concerned about his daughter, he's too busy being Mr. Big Shot on Facebook.

I think Mark Zuckerberg can like just about anything or anybody he wants to.

7. Nickalooch profile image57
    Nickaloochposted 12 years ago

I thought he took it a bit far, but I liked it all at once. By no means am I watching a child so I have no idea what it is like to raise one, but from what I can see from my younger cousins, children think they can get away with anything on facebook.

If this guy takes a gun - a lethal weapon - and destroys a minimum $500. toy, I think the girl is probably not exaggerating with her claim. He's got a screw unwound and needs to get some counseling.

What suprises me is that some child welfare people aren't there right now investigating.

1. profile image0

If you think that's something, I just saw the original video on youtube, "Facebook Parenting: For the Troubled Teen", and there's actually A LOT of youtube commentors on there applauding this guy for doing all this.  Now, that's freaking crazy if you ask me, as there's no excuse this man's actions.

edit:  here's the link if you guys want to watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU

8. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

It's like a digital spanking, since you can't do that anymore without being labeled a child abuser.

I grew up being spanked as a kid and turned out alright.  I'm not addicted to drugs, I'm 23 and self employed.

I mean my parents wouldn't shoot my laptop but they sure took it away from me when I didn't have good grades.

I sure as heck NEVER disrespected my parents openly on Facebook (or anywhere else, for that matter).

1. Shanna11 profile image76
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I grew up being spanked as well. My parents disciplined me and at times I absolutely hated their guts, but as an adult, I am so thankful they did! I grew up motivated and hard-working and unspoiled. One of my childhood best friend's was spoiled rotten when we were growing up and was never chastised. Her life is a mess now and she's unhappy and feels self-entitled.

I hate how spanking is considered child abuse. Parents are NOT their children's best friends, nor should they try and curry favor with their child. They shouldn't harm their child or be strict, but if a kid needs discipline, do what works. I think the father was out of line shooting the laptop, but being friends with teenage girls on FB and being one myself, I can completely understand his blowing up.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
        Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't shoot her laptop, but I sure as heck would have taken it away from her.  And hid the computer, the battery, and the charger all in different places.

9. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

I can't see shooting anybody's anything as a form of parental discipline.  They are both extremely angry with each other, and I think they need family counseling to build some bridges.

I certainly hope this situation doesn't escalate even further for both their sakes.

10. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

This is why Facebook is a disaster for real social networking.

I wish, wish, wish the old "Journal" model had won out.

1. Writing under a pen name so people can't search for you.
    2. You can create different friendslists and lock each post to one or more lists, filtering who has access to each post.

So for example, I've got a "co workers" filter, a "family" filter, a "close friends" filter, an "expanded friends" (including online friends) filter, and a "Harry Potter fans" filter (okay, I made that up, but you can create filters so you don't spam everyone on your friends list with hobbies).

You can then use the web to socialize -- or, in this case, vent teenaged angst with other teens, which is part of growing up -- without compromising your entire personal life to everybody.

I do not understand why Facebook won out over the journaling communities model. They were here in the late 90s and are still quite active. Facebook has begun to adopt some of their practices, but it really isn't interested in letting you maintain your privacy.

1. mega1 profile image77
      mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am way too lazy to sort through my friends like that!  I post my knitting nerd comments right up there with my vacation plans and my quips about Charlie's poems and my photos of local lizards.   And I hope not too many teenagers actually know about filtering - or else their folks are in big trouble.  I only go on fb to spy on friends and acquaintances I really don't like much, just to see if they are very interesting or not.  From the large numbers of people who friend me and are never heard from again, I have a feeling I am either on their "d" list or they are spying too!  Ahh, it is so entertaining all this!

11. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Has anyone heard of the social networking site 'Little Gossip', apparently its getting the rap for lots of controversial posts there

12. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 12 years ago

Never heard of "Little Gossip".  I think if you want some privacy in your comments, don't post them anywhere on line.  They'll show up to the wrong person or people sooner or later.

13. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 12 years ago

'Twould be interesting to find out that the girl and her father cooked up the whole idea together because she wants to upgrade to a Mac and this was the easiest way to try to make the money for it.

Or that they decided it was the easiest way to become famous.

Or that they just wanted to create a bizarre sensation. 

Or that they are in cahoots with a research sociologist who wanted to study human reaction to over-the-top conduct in order to complete a post-doctoral certificate in human behavior.

Or perhaps it's a sign of the times.

14. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

On the news, daughter put some expletives in her comment.  Dad shot up the computer, but he says she is going to have to pay to replace it.  Okay.  I wonder if he remembered her cell phone probably gives her access to the Internet, as well and then there is her friends etc. What she posted is nothing in comparison to most of the trash that is posted by teens such as nude pics, drinking parties etc.
    Maybe Dad needs to take a peek and see what teens are doing, that his daughter isn't. maybe what she did won't seem so bad afterall.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Comparing one bad thing to a worse thing doesn't make it right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)