jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

My dog is aggresive. What can i do?

1. lawretta profile image76
    lawrettaposted 8 years ago

I have a German Shepard dog. It is a nice, caring dog but very aggressive to my visitors. I can't even make him stop harassing my friends what can i do to make him respect my orders as the owner?

2. gamergirl profile image59
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

Try reading some of Whitney05's hubs.  You can find her through this link:

http://hubpages.com/profile/Whitney05

lawrettaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Gamergirl, am on it

3. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 8 years ago

Hi,
    check out
    http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/

I have a German Shepherd too, and have  used Jan's training system.
    It works.

cheers,
    Eric g.

Hi Eric Graudins, thanks. I really do need her help.

2. lawretta profile image76

3. lawretta profile image76

4. brad4l profile image80
    brad4lposted 8 years ago

From my experience, making sure your dog gets plenty of exercise is often a good first step. German Shepards are also working dogs, so you need to give it something to do. Right now it sounds like your dog thinks that its job is protecting your house, so I would recommend, after doing a good bit of research, finding a different type of job for your dog.

Hi brad4l, i think you are write. he is so aggressive to visitors and when i work him on the street he is always scared.

1. shibashake profile image80
        shibashakeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Aggression is not always a result of dominance or over-protectiveness. Sometimes dogs are aggressive because they are afraid - fear aggression. Some things that really helped me with my dogs include:
        1. Following the Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF) program. This simply means that your dog has to do something for you first (e.g. look at you, sit) before he gets the things that he wants, including food, toys, greeting people, etc.

2. Doing short obedience training sessions everyday with positive reinforcement techniques.

3. Keeping them busy (as suggested by brad4l). I make them work for all of their food (training or using interactive toys). Daily walks are very good for draining energy, and I also play games with them. They love the flirt-pole.

I also really enjoy It's Me or the Dog. Victoria Stillwell has a nice variety of techniques for controlling dogs that also helps you build a strong bond that is based on trust and respect.

5. rainbow horse profile image55
    rainbow horseposted 8 years ago

My daughter in law has an aggressive  German Sheppard  mix.  She is a protective dog that will not let me even hug my daughter in law without attacking me.  When we go visit she barks and growls at us. She will bite as well.  So my daughter in law took her to a trainer for the aggressive behavior and is using a muzzle on the dog whenever anyone is around.  She cannot bite people and knows she can't. The negative behavior is under control and the dog is not getting away with it. Lanette

6. Whitney05 profile image61
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

Is he aggressive to visitors or just a nuisance? There's a difference.

If he's not listening to your commands, then he's not fully trained. He should listen to you and your commands no matter the distractions. Start back on basics with no distractions.

7. quicksand profile image83
    quicksandposted 8 years ago
    1. shibashake profile image80
      shibashakeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

lol - you are terrible! I thought your pack of 12 dogs would have already taught you some respect smile

8. Random Person profile image59
    Random Personposted 8 years ago

Hello, I have expierience with aggressive dogs. I work continously with aggressive dogs. I specialize in dog Psychology and I have found Cesar Millan's technique to be extremely effective. Try looking up his site on by searching "The Dog Whisperer". Or try watching his show on the National Geographic Channel! Need anymore help visit my hub, "Need help? Ask Nikki." Have a great day!

Sincerly,
                        Random

9. Sally's Trove profile image84
    Sally's Troveposted 8 years ago

Also check out Victoria Stillwell on Animal Planet's "It's Me or the Dog."

Her philosopy for the most part is: the dog won't be trained until the owner is.

Lawretta, good luck.  An aggressive dog is a time bomb waiting to go off.  Your dog is not "nice".  Your dog needs your intervention.

working