jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Names not to giver your dog.

1. RGraf profile image93
    RGrafposted 8 years ago

Names not to giver your dog.

2. Meaningful Minds profile image52
    Meaningful Mindsposted 8 years ago

I would advise giving your dog any type of name that rhymes with or has a "command" name in it.  Such as BINGO....at some point your going to tell your dog GO sit down or anything like that, well they are not going to be able to differentiate the binGO and the GO sit down...it confuses them.

Another one Ray, Shay Blade, anything that sounds like STAY.... any type of word sounding like or close to a command word should be avoided.  Another example KINGDOM...with the command COME.... you'll have a dog that won't leave ya alone!!!

Their names are to be praised usually in a higher pitch, as so when your using a command it's usually in a deepr, adamant tone, leaving  them in a "duh" stage....and then one wonders why they don't listen.  Or seem like they are backwards. They just don't know any different, they are animals and basically are trained by "tone".

3. riaancornelius profile image64
    riaancorneliusposted 8 years ago

I agree 100% with Meaningful minds. One thing I would add is to keep their names short. No more than 2 syllables and preferably only 1.

If you call your dog "Prince Raymond the third" for example, your dog is just going to give you the "Are you nuts?" look every time you call him, and you'll end up calling him Ray in any case (And then that rhymes with stay. Try calling your dog by telling him to stay and see how well that works... )

4. profile image0
    MrsMoeposted 8 years ago

Make sure it's something you wouldn't mind the neighbors hearing if you yell it out.  I had a neighbor who called his dog "dickhead" and when he yelled at the dog, it was embarrassing for his family!

Try one or two syllable names out loud.  Say the name and common commands such as sit, stay, and come. If it doesn't roll off your tongue very easily, keep trying until you get something that feels natural.

working