jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to stop males from fighting? (for no reason)

1. profile image43
    schaplinposted 8 years ago

How to stop males from fighting? (for no reason)

2. Mrs. Obvious profile image96
    Mrs. Obviousposted 8 years ago

Nueter them and/or remove the female they are fighting over.

3. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Or put them in the presence of an overwhelming number of females ready and willing to mate and that make their willingness and availability totally obvious.

4. karmicfilly profile image74
    karmicfillyposted 8 years ago

Watch the dog whisperer.  Many times it is insecurity and the owners fault they are reacting so.  I have learned a ton of tips from his show and even broke down and bought a dvd to deal with a couple of issues with a new puppy.  I have owned up to 7 dogs at one time on my farm and they must all get along.  I don't have fights unless some really strange incident happens like neighbor dogs.  They feed off of our energy so you must stay calm and be the alpha dog/leader at all times so that means educating yourself.
    Good luck and hope this helps.

5. neoyyf profile image81
    neoyyfposted 8 years ago

Let's just say that you can't unless you do a lot of research and do everything the Ceaser Milan way. It is very difficult as they will have developed the habit of fighting with each other so you will need to persist for at least 4 months.  This will be an absolute headache and you will have to nip everything in the bud very quickly by observing and recognising certain dog behaviours that will trigger a fight.  If it is serious, like they may kill each other, it is better to just rehome one of them, ASAP!  I also would not recommend you to adopt another dog unless you understand and practice dog leadership as a pack leader and show dominance from the first day.

I have not seen male dogs fight over female dogs, but more often, fight for territory as this really matters to dogs.

Neutering does not help so don't go down that route, unless you are able to identify which is the weaker male, and neuter/castrate that one, so that he becomes more submissive but this hardly works (perhaps 30% of the time) especially if it has become a habit.