jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Please share some of your animal rescue experiences.

1. ethel smith profile image80
    ethel smithposted 8 years ago

Please share some of your animal rescue experiences.

I look forward ro reading about your current animals Aand your experiences

2. karmicfilly profile image72
    karmicfillyposted 8 years ago

I had a rescue that I did 2 years ago of a horse named Baby.  She was on my street in rural Tennessee.  I couldn't believe it.  Here was a horse in the wealthiest county of Tennessee and it was being starved and neglected horribly.

I learned about it by friends who asked if I would travel down the road, a dead end, and take a look.  They had called the Humane Assoc. numerous times to no avail.  This horse was a matter of two weeks from death, easily.

A dear friend of mine went with me and she fell in love instantly, chose to help and pay all expenses.  The owners finally chose to give up custody for $1.00 and we walked Baby to my farm.  It was only a mile but took us nearly 1.5 hours as the horse was in such bad shape that it had to stop to rest.

We ran into many problems but the worst of it was parasites.  They had invaded this horses body so badly that she lost the sight in one eye permanently.  It was very sad as this was a formerly beautiful Thoroughbred horse.  It was heart breaking each time we had to administer the medications to try to save the eye to no avail.

The experience was painful in so many ways.  The lessons I learned will last a lifetime.  I don't recommend it to all since it will consume you if you are not careful.  Yet I am glad I could help this one who was then adopted by my dear kind hearted friend and moved to another farm.  Baby now can be ridden even with just one eye and loves her new life and owner.

3. profile image0
    MrsMoeposted 8 years ago

I signd up with the National Borzoi Rescue Foundation and was beyond excited to finally get a call that "Czar" was available.  After a 7 hour drive to New York, I met the most GORGEOUS Borzois at the professional kennel Czar was being fostered at.

When they brought Czar up, my eyes bugged out of my head.  He had no fur on 75% of his body, only weighed 47 pounds (36" at the shoulder), had been buckshot so had dozens of incision sites all over his body, and had sarcoptic mange.

He looked over at me, walked right up to me and laid his head in my lap.  "I'll take him!"  I yelled.

A full year later, Czar had put on 60 pounds, had long flowing silky fur, and had beaten all the odds (my vet told me he wasn't "salvageable" when I brought him in for the first checkup).   Czar was with us until his heart gave out - 7 years later.   

I've had the honor of living with 13 dogs in my lifetime and am currently owned by "Jake" - a cross between a Boxer and a Shepherd who had one day left at the shelter he was rescued from.  (He's in some of my hubs).  Jake's been with us for 8 years now.

4. 50 Caliber profile image60
    50 Caliberposted 8 years ago

It's in progress, it's a topic that needs little research on my part as the experiences are too frequent and they all leave a mark on your heart. I suppose unless, it would be the coward who abandons them to die, that may have a heart hard enough to be un-markable. So I just need to organize my thoughts on the matter and make sure that along with the great success stories that I include the sadness that comes with a few.

5. ethel smith profile image80
    ethel smithposted 8 years ago

I look forward to reading the Hubs Dusty. You could maybe breakdown your experiences into quite a few smaller hubs?

6. bonny2010 profile image69
    bonny2010posted 8 years ago

I have rescued many animals over time and each story is as strong and the next. I am working on putting all of these down but in the meantime you can check out my hub Farewell To Joey - its about Joey my young kangaroo. I like all of these hubs and look forward to visiting your site more often cheersbon.

Closed to reply

working