jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it ok when your horses nose is running badly or is it a bad thing??

1. profile image45
    *Allie Jo*posted 8 years ago

Is it ok when your horses nose is running badly or is it a bad thing??

I just got my first horse, and i live out in the middle of nowhere where the wind blows a lot and normally pretty hard. When i went out this morning to feed i noticed that her nose was running and dripping and I'm not sure if its good or bad for her nose to run that badly.

2. ddsurfsca profile image73
    ddsurfscaposted 8 years ago

If this is your first horse and you do not know things like this, I would more than suggest that you get a book and read up on some things, for example do you know what to do if she accidently gets into a bucket or two of grain and then drinks water?
    As far as your question -- it is normal for horses to have runny noses, any or all; the time, especially if it is windy and dusty.  What do you feed her?  if you are feeding her grain, and it is dusty, you might want to sprinkle a little water on it when you feed her.  You might also want to sprikle down where she lives outside, to knock down the dust every day or two.  See if the hay is dusty or moldy, but that probobly isn't the trouble.  I would not worry about it, but get a book, promise me, and read up on horses and their health problems.  Horses do not have the ability to burp or vomit, and  if they eat the wrong things, they can bloat up and die from it.  Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any other questions, for I have had horses since i was 10 yrs old.

3. Actioncameron profile image57
    Actioncameronposted 8 years ago

Allie if your horses nose is running it's an indication of a systemic cold. If they are coughing you have a horse with a cold. Just put sulphur in their drinking water and both will clear up quickly if you in fact have a customarily healthy horse. Compliments of an old cowboy who has never given me a bad penny. It works...

4. DonnaCSmith profile image89
    DonnaCSmithposted 7 years ago

It depends - if its clear probably not, if thick and "snotty" it could be an infection or allergies and I'd get a vet  to check on it.

Cold weather can make the nose run, just like us. That is usually just a clear fluid and is nothing to worry about.