jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How to handle a dog who chases cars?

1. profile image47
    missyb3666posted 8 years ago

How to handle a dog who chases cars?

I am attempting to help a friend who has an 8 month old GSD that likes to chase cars.  I have observed the owners with the dog and there are definitely alpha issues.  At this point, I have only suggested that they correct the dog while walking her. (ex. not letting the dog lead the way).  Do you have any other training tools that I may pass along?  I saw your article regarding dogs riding in cars and thought you may have insight to this problem.  Thanks

2. Veronica profile image79
    Veronicaposted 8 years ago

My advice is that they bring in a professional. They should hire a one on one trainer. Whenever the underlying issues stem from the owners not defining themselves as the alphas in the pack, much of what they can do that would normally help, will wind up only confusing the issues more.

In general, the alpha hands down a rule, and it is obeyed by the pack. But when it's just another pack member handing down a rule, it can be seen as a challenge, and cause a dog that is vying for that alpha position to fight even harder to assert himself. Really, anything they try prior to establishing the correct roles can wind up backfiring. Bringing in a professional trainer will help train them on how to assert themselves as the alpha members of the pack. The training, though posed for the dog, is really for them. Afterward any tricks or tips relayed have a chance of working.

3. profile image52
    SpaceAgeposted 8 years ago

how about a LEASH? leashes help stop car chasing

4. etauntontv profile image52
    etauntontvposted 7 years ago

they will stop chasing cars when the car stops

5. Lauren Zimmerman profile image55
    Lauren Zimmermanposted 7 years ago

I've never seen or heard of a better "dog trainer" than Cesar Millan, the dog whisperer.  For any type of behavior, or advice.

He's got a TV show as well as books and videos.  People may think he's a miracle worker because he's so good.  But the fact is, he knows dogs .. one of the best on the planet.

6. cobrien profile image77
    cobrienposted 7 years ago

Your friend could try obeying the local leash laws.

working