jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I have a guinea pig that will not sit still to let me pet her, is there a way to

1. profile image42
    kjmcivor1posted 7 years ago

I have a guinea pig that will not sit still to let me pet her, is there a way to get her to relax?

She is about a year old and I wanted to know if she will settle down with age or if I can train her.  Even when I have carrots she won't relax.  She does crazy laps in her tank to get away from me.  I have had many piggies, but this is the craziest one yet.  I have been holding her since she was born.  The mother was very jumpy after their birth, so I think she got it from her.

2. aheil profile image60
    aheilposted 7 years ago

My sister has a guinea pig! But I do not know what they do, except they poop everywhere. Eww!!

3. DonnyBoy profile image57
    DonnyBoyposted 7 years ago

Not many caged animals ever relax.
    Try petting her and sing her Frank Sinatra?

4. profile image53
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

i had 1 & i kept fussing w/ mine.......................

5. kgnature profile image56
    kgnatureposted 7 years ago

I love guinea pigs!  They need a lot of handling at a young age to make good lap pets, but I've had pretty good luck calming piggies of all ages. 

Try setting her in you lap without holding on.  If she tries to run off, catch her but don't hold on to her unless you absolutely have to.  Gradually begin to pet her and scratch the places where she seems to enjoy it.  You have to keep it up a little every day, even several times a day.  Letting her eat her fresh veggies and her special treats while sitting in your lap will help her relax and enjoy the time you spend with her. 

It will also help to have her cage in a room where you spend a lot of time.  Shutting her up in a bedroom or other room doesn't give her much of a chance to get used  to the sight and sound of you.

Beginning a relationship with a one year old can be hard, but once the two of you click it's worth the time and patience put into it.