jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What foods can you feed a guinea pig?

1. BSloan profile image74
    BSloanposted 5 years ago

What foods can you feed a guinea pig?

Our guinea pig loves to eat carrots and won't eat apples or lettuce.  What other foods are save to feed her?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6949797_f260.jpg

2. Rosyel Sawali profile image66
    Rosyel Sawaliposted 5 years ago

Your guinea pig is so cute. We have two of them. We buy them pellets for small mammals from the nearby pet shop. We also occasionally give them alfalfa hay -- they're under a year old. Plus they love cucumbers and banana leaves. Oh and they also go for bell peppers. They don't fancy sweet stuff much. Hope that helps! ^_^

BSloanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your suggestions.  I'll try the bell peppers.

3. Vitallani profile image83
    Vitallaniposted 5 years ago

Guinea pigs do actually eat lettuce. The love the stuff. Romaine lettuce is best for them, but you should not feed them iceberg lettuce. They also eat apples, but be sure to take out the pips. It's surprising that your guinea pig doesn't eat them. Maybe you can try her with different types. I gave my guinea pigs tomatoes once, and they wouldn't eat them, but when I gave them cherry tomatoes, they love them.

I made a hub about looking after your guinea pig, and it lists the food you can and cannot give them. Here's the link: http://vitallani.hubpages.com/hub/How-T … Guinea-Pig

BSloanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I did try the iceberg lettuce but I didn't think about the romaine.  Great tip.  I'll try that today along with a small piece of tomato and see what she does.  Thanks!

2. Vitallani profile image83
      Vitallaniposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Iceberg lettuce is bad for them because it contains isotopes, that's probably why they didn't eat it. I've noticed that guinea pigs don't usually eat things that might not agree with them. They're smart like that.

4. Valene profile image86
    Valeneposted 5 years ago

My guinea pigs used to LOVE banana peels. Well, and the banana itself, but don't just give them a whole one at once. They also used to like nibbling on citrus rinds, or they'd just sit the grapefruit rinds. Also, I've picked grass and dandelions from outside and they liked those a lot (just make sure you don't have a treated lawn).

working