jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

i was petting my guinea pig and he made a chirping and a purring noise. does tha

1. profile image46
    saxywarriorposted 7 years ago

i was petting my guinea pig and he made a chirping and a purring noise. does that mean hes in pain?

2. angela_michelle profile image99
    angela_michelleposted 7 years ago

I don't know what the sound was exactly, but I did a quick google search, and came up with this site to help you figure it out. let us know! http://www.jackiesguineapiggies.com/gui … ounds.html

3. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

No, they make those noises for a variety of reasons...though it does depend on the individual guinea pig to some point. Some make those noises when they're excited, or just like what you're doing, while others will do so when they're startled or uncomfortable. Remember that guinea pigs are short-sighted, so any change in the room could put them off momentarily, and take into account your guinea pig's other body language at the time he makes the noise. Does he tense up and put his head down, shake himself and look around, or something else? If he freezes with his head down, he most likely feels threatened by something. Most other body language is positive, and remember that guinea pigs are very social creatures so they have a tendency to try to communicate everything smile.

4. ifeedmyfriends11 profile image76
    ifeedmyfriends11posted 7 years ago

If the noise sounds like purring, it most likely means that your piggy enjoys being petted. A guinea pig purrs sort of like a cat when you pet it just right.