jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

is my hamster dead or hibernating??

1. profile image47
    jodie_louiseposted 7 years ago

is my hamster dead or hibernating??

my hamster is 1. about 24 hours ago we thought he had died so wrapped him in kitchen towel in a small plastic box. we checked him well to ensure that he was dead. we wernt surprised though because for the past 4 days the back half of him has just explanded hugely. he couldn't even get his bottom in his house. he rarely ate or drank either. he seemed to have severe trouble walkin too. yet yesterday evening ( about 12 hours after we 'pronounced' him dead) my younger brother wanted to have a last hold n when he was lookin at him, rusty twitched his whiskers n his paw. we then pu

2. geckogully profile image61
    geckogullyposted 7 years ago

You can find some information about how to check if a hamster is hibernating, here: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in … 534AAoXI7t

3. profile image47
    jodie_louiseposted 7 years ago

ok thanks. a bit too late tho sad took him to the vets about an hour ago n he died within minutes of walking in there xx

4. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

I have answered your comment on the hub that you initially left it on.

More than likely, the twitching is after death twitches, which is common. He's not just going to randomly go into hibernation within just a few days, and in most cases, hamsters don't hibernate unless the conditions they're kept in are rather cold. Considering it's starting to warm in all places, I highly doubt the hamster decided to go into hibernation.

I'm not sure why you didn't take the hamster to the vet you first notice the rear end swelling.

working