jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Going away for a week, what do I do with my fish?

1. Jawbreaker profile image56
    Jawbreakerposted 7 years ago

Going away for a week, what do I do with my fish?

Help!!

I'm Going away for 10 days on vacation and I don't know what to do with my fish. They are Convict Cichlids, 8 four month old babies and a father in a 10 gallon tank. I can't bring them across the border. Does anyone know what I should do? Thanks

2. KKalmes profile image60
    KKalmesposted 7 years ago

We fish sit for our neighbors when they are going out of town for an extended period... we have a key let ourselves in feed, bring in the mail, water plants... good neighbors, make good fishermen.

3. puebloman profile image60
    pueblomanposted 7 years ago

Normally I'd say leave them. Fish don't suffer if they don't eat for a few  days - they are not Americans.
    Babies are a different matter because they are growing.
    Go to a good aquarist shop and explain your problem. You can buy a block that slowly dissolves and releases food. You fish will be fine if they get something. Reduced diet may do them good.
    More important is to clean your filters and make sure the water is crystal clear, clean and pure.
    Convicts are fabulous fish - good luck!

4. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Vacation feeders may work, depending on how many fish you have. That said, at four months the babies' growth should have slowed to the point that three days or so without food should be fine, so if you have anyone that can just toss a little food to them a couple of times while you're gone that would be sufficient. I strongly recommend not using the electric automatic feeders available at many pet stores, these have a really bad habit of malfunctioning or feeding way too much at a time. No food is much better than too much in this case since you won't be there to do water changes.

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

you can get atuomatic feeders at pet co or pets mart that will feed your fish while your away

6. nicomp profile image68
    nicompposted 7 years ago

It's been 3 weeks since you posted the question... write a hub on how you took care of the fishies. Did it go well? Any suggestions for other fish owners?

working