Hi I'm interested in soon acquiring a dog. I have always liked animals but never

1. profile image48
    keiralouiseposted 7 years ago

Hi I'm interested in soon acquiring a dog. I have always liked animals but never felt it the...

right time to have one due to my lifestyle, living arrangements etc. However I am now in a position where a small dog would fit perfect in my humble home. I have long loved yorkshire terriers and often find they warm to me when I meet them. However I do work full time and can be out at work for several hours. I would have all the time in the world for my dog when at home of course. So my question is would it really be a bad idea to have this breed of dog? I would never wish to make a dog unhappy due to my work schedule. Your input would be most apprieciated. Thanks yours, Yorkie lover!

2. HannahRiley profile image60
    HannahRileyposted 7 years ago

If you have never had a Yorkie, talk to someone who does about how hyper they can be indoors. My sister has a Maltese & he is nuts! Barks & barks & barks...at NOTHING all day! Of course those aren't the same dog, but it's good to speak to someone who has lived with one before you get one. Also, depending on your work hours, this can be a good size to have in your home. I wouldn't say if you are working 12 hour shifts day in and day out that would be good, but a regular work schedule would work I think. Dogs are pretty independent and can keep themselves entertained. *as long as you don't mind the potty training pads throughout the house*

How about adopting a dog? You may be suprised to find a Yorkie looking for a home in your area, or another small terrier. There are plenty of dogs looking for love for a fraction of the price! wink

3. brewstec profile image61
    brewstecposted 7 years ago

Yorkies are abundantly energetic and not having someone walk the dog or exercise it while your at work isn't good for a dog like that and you'll probably feel bad about leaving it alone for that long if you are an animal lover. A small dog that has a less energetic personality is a shitzue although I think I spelled it wrong. They have energy but a lower key than a Yorkie. Adopting a dog is a great thing to do and you'll feel better for it. Most animal adoption places will help you figure out the type of dog that fits your lifestyle this way both of you can live happily ever after.

working