jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Purebred or mixed breed?

1. lindajot profile image72
    lindajotposted 7 years ago

Purebred or mixed breed?

2. lilibees profile image59
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

I would say either, mixed breeds can be wonderful pets!

3. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 7 years ago

Mixed! There are so many wonderful potential pets that need forever-homes, it would make me feel guilty to pay big money for a purebred.  I went through that thought process when I got my kitties. I wanted a Bengal, or a British Shorthair - but could not justify spending the $500-$800 on a pampered pet when there are so many loving kitties that desperately need homes.   

I don't regret it in the least - my two kooks are the best ever.

4. Jennifer Theories profile image61
    Jennifer Theoriesposted 7 years ago

If you are going to bring a new animal friend into your home then please, please, please, adopt them from a shelter. If you want purebred's you will find many at shelters. Also, there are many rescue groups dedicated to certain breeds.

To be more direct about answering the question. I just don't think it matters. The animal is also an individual. You can get ten Pitbulls in a room and they will not all be the same. In fact, you can get ten Pitbull siblings all in one litter and they will all be very different from each other. Even when it comes to health issues there are no guarantees that one is better or easier to handle than another.

There are many variables to consider with a question like this. What is the intent?

If you can see that there is someone in that body (like a soul) then the issue of purebred or mixed is secondary to the bonding process of accepting an animal into your life.

5. brandonord profile image60
    brandonordposted 7 years ago

I have had both types of dog, And I believe it is how you train a dog in general.
    But, I believe mixed breed dogs have a better mentality especially dogs from rescue centers
    So I would pick mixed breed

6. Wayne Orvisburg profile image73
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 7 years ago

The best dog I've ever had was a mutt. He was the smartest most loyal dog I've ever seen.

The second best, is a German Shepard.

The advantage to pure breeds is that the have certain traits so you can kind of predict what kind of behavior they may have. It's not completely accurate of course, but more than not knowing what you're getting.

I have absolutely nothing against mixed breeds, but I have heard that there are a few breeds that should NOT be cross bred and can make for very difficult or dangerous dogs.